Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:56:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Split/Second is free on Xbox this month

Started by Barry Admin, February 06, 2018, 03:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Fucking great driving game, enjoy the multiplayer while it has a resurgence.

Hope they do Blur soon. Not a huge fan of driving games, as I'm shit at them, but love these arcadey ones from time to time.

Penfold

Split/Second is great.

I have a feeling Blur is no longer available on the xbox marketplace. I went to redownload it a couple of years ago and had to find it using my purchase history as I couldn't find it anywhere.

Neomod

So this is worth downloading if I already have Blur, Forza and Burnout Paradise?

The gold choices for us 360-ers has been shocking the last couple of months.

Sin Agog

Yeah, for sure.  It's way more arcadey than all of those.  It's like a Kart Racer but with a better solo campaign that constantly tries to lob different modes at you to keep your interest from flagging.  Was quite a flop for Disney, though.  I guess people weren't looking for straight-up arcade games on consoles at that point of time.

BeardFaceMan

Its not bad this, I do like a good arcade racer, I'm sick of ultra-realistic driving sims, give me something I can smash up a bit. Or a lot. People who make games with unskippable cutscenes should horribly murdered though, obviously.

Famous Mortimer

Barry Admin

Are you not on Gold? Does anyone have a spare 24-hour voucher for this fine gentleman?

biggytitbo

I thinking have this on steam but never played it, really like blur though which is a lot of fun. There's another game called flat out that is similar too.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Barry Admin on February 06, 2018, 07:39:43 PM
Are you not on Gold? Does anyone have a spare 24-hour voucher for this fine gentleman?
I ought to get Gold, to be honest. I fancy doing some Forza Horizon 3 online, too.

bgmnts

Burnout 2 and 3 were the pinnacles of driving games.

Neomod

It's got a real 'just one more go' feel and so I eventually aced the first 4 races on my first session. Still need to get to grips with the drift and is there any skill in when to set off the explosions. I seem to do it immediately I see the icon with hit and miss results?

Shame there are no replays as I thought that would be essential to showcase the tv action nature of the game. Or have I missed them somewhere?

Barry Admin

I think there's just the instant replays, press LB after a smash.

And I seem to remember that the explosions are generally best left for towards the end. You can change routes, take out the pack leaders etc. The more you play, the more you'll learn where particularly useful ones are, especially for wiping out loads at once. Do try the multiplayer too!

madhair60

This game is GREAT. I remember thinking how utterly astonishing it was when it first came out - like "this is the future of racing games".

Barry Admin

It still looks wicked too, especially for a 360 game.

Another one I still play is Stuntman: Ignition. Would love an update of that.

Just figured out that Blur came out a week after Split/Second. 2010 was a great year for arcade racers! But both sold very poorly as I recall, awful shame.

BeardFaceMan

Anyone have a favourite car for this? Or is it simply a case of using the last car you unlocked? I like this game but it does make me want to fire up FH3 again.

Sin Agog

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 10, 2018, 04:55:34 PM
Anyone have a favourite car for this? Or is it simply a case of using the last car you unlocked? I like this game but it does make me want to fire up FH3 again.

I think your car works as a bit of a difficulty mode, as all the other cars are slowed down according to what you use.  Can't remember the name of it offhand, but there's an earlyish one called a Mustang or something like that which is a happy medium, before all the pro racing cars come in.

Z

A 60 fps HD remaster of Burnout 3 would sell way more than it'd cost to do (assuming the source code is still somewhere, bound to be, right?), if anyone other than EA had the license it would've probably happened by now

I've Split/Second on my Windows partition for ages now but haven't gotten around to it. Would there be much of a bump in online activity on the PC side of things as a result of this issuing?

BeardFaceMan

Getting a bit samey now, not enough tracks, not much difference in cars you use. Never have trouble finding a full lobby on the xbox, multiplayer is quite fun too but not enough variety. Good game, but it just makes want to go and play a great game like FH3.