Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:54:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What the f@ck is Sting playing at?

Started by TheMonk, February 07, 2018, 12:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Alright, pretend I said 'We Can't Dance' or '...But Seriously' instead.

grassbath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nntri9OfaRY

I love this nonsense. I love the mutual delusion - Sting's belief that acting the Renaissance minstrel makes him look every inch the serious artist, and Edin Karamazov thinking 'yes! yes! Finally, with a contemporary rock and roll star on my side - finally, the world will understand the sacred power of the lute!' They lute each other to orgasm. Then impossibly it all cranks up a notch and Sting dumps Karamazov for a council of Stings sitting at a table singing in harmony admiring each other and thinking about sucking each others' cocks. It's just mad. I implore you to watch it immediately.

spamwangler

Quote from: grassbath on February 10, 2018, 12:37:10 PM

I love this nonsense. I love the mutual delusion - Sting's belief that acting the Renaissance minstrel makes him look every inch the serious artist, and Edin Karamazov thinking 'yes! yes! Finally, with a contemporary rock and roll star on my side - finally, the world will understand the sacred power of the lute!' They lute each other to orgasm. Then impossibly it all cranks up a notch and Sting dumps Karamazov for a council of Stings sitting at a table singing in harmony admiring each other and thinking about sucking each others' cocks. It's just mad. I implore you to watch it immediately.

mad and hillarious

Jockice

Jesus!

vanilla.coffee

Twed

This is absolute gold, thank you for this and your description.

TheMonk

This is Andy Partridge from XTC being interviewed circa 2007. Not sure who TB is. Probably not Tony Banks.
Sting is like someone from Big Train playing Sting in a sketch.

Andy Partridge: "I actually heard a horrible story about Sting -- where'd I hear this story, about someone who went to dinner with him, and a few other people...

TB: I sent you that! From the Holy Moly newsletter...

AP: Yeah, you did! He pulls out his iPod during dinner, cutting himself off from the conversation...

TB: ... and the guests ask Trudi if they said anything wrong, to make him be so anti-social. She says, "He always does it, and the worst thing is, he's listening to his own fucking music."

Sebastian Cobb

I always enjoyed Paxman calling him a hypocrite on newsnight.

Dr Syntax Head

JoeyBananaduck

I don't seem to mind him as much as most. Police have some good songs. He's had a few decent solo ones. I actually bought Desert Rose. Hey ho.

madhair60

Why the fuck did he shake Triple H's hand!? He just hit him with a sledgehammer! For that matter, why did the NWO help him!? They're sworn enemies!!

JoeyBananaduck

Why the FUCK does this forum have a wrestling thread?

daf

Quote from: TheMonk on February 12, 2018, 02:40:28 AM
This is Andy Partridge from XTC being interviewed circa 2007. Not sure who TB is. Probably not Tony Banks.

It's Todd Bernhardt - from the 'Andy's Take' series of interviews. The specific Sting quote is from the one talking about 'Great Fire' :
http://chalkhills.org/articles/XTCFans20071014.html

-----

They did over a hundred of these - in depth ramblings about the songs, about 30 were published in a book 'Complicated Game' (the one for Great Fire wasn't in it, though)

Colin Moulding and Dave Gregory also did a few - all on this page : http://chalkhills.org/articles/XTCFans.html

Ferris

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on February 13, 2018, 11:59:26 AM
Why the FUCK does this forum have a wrestling thread?

To decide which middle aged steroid addict in pants is the best

Rocket Surgery

Malcy

I've downloaded the album with Shaggy out of curiosity to see what it's like. Will report back!

DrGreggles

Quote from: Malcy on April 20, 2018, 09:08:19 PM
I've downloaded the album with Shaggy out of curiosity to see what it's like. Will report back!

I haven't, but I think we'll reach the same conclusion.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Rocket Surgery on April 18, 2018, 02:29:11 AM
Shagging.

I'm slightly inebriated, but I thought he came across alright in that interview and the single sounds okay - I think browsing through records in Honest Jons with Sting would be okay.

TheMonk

Shaggy and Sting is the most completely ridiculous pairing in music history. Fact.

Cuellar

What in the name of GOD was that.

Schnapple

There's a fairly heavy marketing push for the Sting and Shaggy collaborative LP where I am, and even months after the announcement, it still makes me laugh each time I see it.

An acquaintance of mine knows his daughter, and apparently she is "mortified" by the record and accompanying video, which makes it even funnier.

sevendaughters

i met one of Sting's daughters in the Rainbow in Birmingham, unbelievably beautiful.

don't think the Sting/Shaggy record is that surprising or bad, both have reggae roots, however inauthentic. it's no Chaka Demus but i aver better than anything an ex-X Factor person has done.

non capisco

Quote from: Schnapple on April 23, 2018, 04:50:53 PM
An acquaintance of mine knows his daughter, and apparently she is "mortified" by the record and accompanying video, which makes it even funnier.

I'd collapse into joyful, uncontrollable hysterics that wouldn't abate for at least a month if I woke up one morning and learned that my dad had released an album with Shaggy. This situation is utterly wasted on Sting's sourpuss daughter.

spamwangler

Quote from: non capisco on April 23, 2018, 05:59:53 PM
I'd collapse into joyful, uncontrollable hysterics that wouldn't abate for at least a month if I woke up one morning and learned that my dad had released an album with Shaggy. This situation is utterly wasted on Sting's sourpuss daughter.

This.

Was she worried that her insuffreable lutewanker of a dad would come off looking silly just because hes done a novelty reggae record with shaggy?

Like he was doing so well at not looking like a berk and just fucked it at the last minute?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: spamwangler on April 23, 2018, 06:20:41 PM
This.

Was she worried that her insuffreable lutewanker of a dad would come off looking silly just because hes done a novelty reggae record with shaggy?

Like he was doing so well at not looking like a berk and just fucked it at the last minute?

his earlier career with the police was novelty reggae; tbf, he's going back to what he does.. erm... what he does.

Whatever Sting does, he gets a life pass for me for Every Breath You Take, which for me evokes memories summer thirty-five years ago and has remained consistently loved by me since.

hedgehog90

Don't suppose anyone saw Sting and Shaggy serenading the queen the other night?
They closed the show with a medley.

It was great.