Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:48:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Marvel's Sony's Venom (Spider-Man spin-off)

Started by Mister Six, February 09, 2018, 04:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Trailer here: https://youtu.be/m_rQ9JD8MgI

Bit of a bold move, doing a spin-off without actually having it spin off of something.

Anyway That teaser. Bland, grimdark OOH HAUNTED MAN ON THE RUN stuff. Such an odd tone to strike after the Spider-Man movie. Does anyone give a fuck, I wonder?

Shaky

Not a great teaser but I'm hoping there's more than a hint of Logan about this, as in they manage to make a good film as well as a "dark" one.

phantom_power

It is Sony, who have mismanaged Spiderman since sacking Raimi off so I don't hold out much hope

ieXush2i

"Sometimes... trauma can affect a person" DRAMATIC MUSIC

Custard

Hardy is quite good at picking decent projects though*, so I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out alright. He had the common sense to bail out of Suicide Squad just before production

*We don't talk about This Means War. Not in this house

Gwen Taylor on ITV

A film that dares to ask, what if every upsetting thing that's ever happened to you made you feel upset.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phantom_power on February 09, 2018, 07:34:55 AM
It is Sony, who have mismanaged Spiderman since sacking Raimi off so I don't hold out much hope

I loved Homecoming and thought it was the best Spiderman movie yet, but that doesn't give me hope for this as I'm bored to death with grim dark superhero stuff.

Mister Six

Aye, but that was made with more input from Marvel, wasn't it? It's astonishing how they seem to have forgotten the lessons they learned there - such as making films that are actually fun.

Ah, that's probably unfair. If they're actually attempting a dramatically varied series of tones rather than the Marvel-style "don't stray too far from baseline" idea then that's commendable. I just hope it's not relentlessly angsty in the 90s teen comic book way it looks at the moment.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Mister Six on February 09, 2018, 12:42:13 PM
If they're actually attempting a dramatically varied series of tones rather than the Marvel-style "don't stray too far from baseline" idea then that's commendable.

This is the main thing that's boring me with Marvel (and Star Wars) - they now have a successful template and everything just comes off like a riff of everything else.  It's a bit like that Carvel's Ice Cream Cake mould - turn it one way it's a whale, turn it another it's the Easter bunny, turn it another way it's Santa.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on February 09, 2018, 12:42:13 PM
Aye, but that was made with more input from Marvel, wasn't it? It's astonishing how they seem to have forgotten the lessons they learned there - such as making films that are actually fun.

Ah, that's probably unfair. If they're actually attempting a dramatically varied series of tones rather than the Marvel-style "don't stray too far from baseline" idea then that's commendable. I just hope it's not relentlessly angsty in the 90s teen comic book way it looks at the moment.

I agree with you completely, but at the same time I'm not optimistic it won't turn out the way you fear.

Also, in other terrible comic book film news: https://www.avclub.com/its-rumor-time-warner-bros-might-want-michael-bay-to-1822853900

AsparagusTrevor

I don't understand the purpose of this film really. Was anyone clamouring for a Spider-man-less Venom origin movie? Fans will be annoyed of the complete change of backstory (seemingly now cribbed from Guyver's origin story) and non-fans won't give a shit anyway.

I'd rather see Venom done right as a Spider-man villain. Spider-man 3 got the origin and motivation just about right but just about everything else wrong, especially the choice of actor.

Glebe

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Glebe on February 09, 2018, 04:09:26 PM
Is Spider-Man gonna be in it, though?

No, which is another reason people don't seem to be excited about it.

Custard

Cos it'd have to be the Andrew Garfield one, and even Andrew Garfield's mum doesn't want that

Glebe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 09, 2018, 06:06:42 PMNo, which is another reason people don't seem to be excited about it.

I thought he was meant to be like an evil Spidey, though?

Btw, before Biggy asks, I believe there's only one Venom in this. Not twenty.

SavageHedgehog

Shouldn't it be Sony's Marvel's Venom?

I don't think the trailer looks grimdark, I think it looks appropriately pulpy, with a breezy, 90s trash feel.

I don't see how this possibly be good mind you, but the whole thing shows such a flagrant and ignorant disregard for common sense, taste and personal business ethics I... wish them luck, I guess.

phantom_power

Quote from: Glebe on February 09, 2018, 08:59:54 PM
I thought he was meant to be like an evil Spidey, though?

I think Venom is a symbiotic alien that turned Spiderman evil when they joined. He doesn't need to be linked to Spiderman

Dr Rock

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Glebe on February 09, 2018, 08:59:54 PM
Btw, before Biggy asks, I believe there's only one Venom in this. Not twenty.
The baddie is going to be Carnage, so there are at least two Venoms.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: phantom_power on February 10, 2018, 10:53:25 AM
I think Venom is a symbiotic alien that turned Spiderman evil when they joined. He doesn't need to be linked to Spiderman
His look and powers come from Spider-Man and he harbours a huge grudge against him, he's driven by his thirst for revenge. Changing that changes the character to Not-Venom.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on February 10, 2018, 12:01:34 PM
His look and powers come from Spider-Man and he harbours a huge grudge against him, he's driven by his thirst for revenge. Changing that changes the character to Not-Venom.

Weird, isn't it. I know plenty of people don't like Venom (traditional Spider-Man fans who think Venom's a bit shit-90s-darkness being shat onto a colourful fun world; people like Raimi who I recall didn't really want to do him at all, which is why it's a sort of shit joke in SM3), but as someone familiar with him from the cartoon, it's a neat story.

Spidey gets some space goo on him, and it takes on the form of his suit and gives him extra powers – he no longer needs to carry around a costume because he can just switch this thing on and off, he no longer needs webshooters as the suit generates webbing, it makes him stronger and he looks pretty sleek. It's all good, and it's like him getting his initial powers just boosted so he's pretty excited about it. He knocks about in it for a while, doing good Spider-Man things.

But the extra power has a corrupting influence and it starts twisting him, making him more violent. So he fucks it off, finds a way to unbind from it (the goo gets fucked up by loud noises) and goes back to his normal suit. But Brock, some bloke who already hates Spider-Man/Parker, is knocking about nearby, and the goo binds with him, hate and violence magnify and he gets a really big tongue and sharp teeth. Solid enemy, a literal dark version of Spider-Man, what happens if you magnify the Great Power bit and fuck off the Great Responsibility.

Strip the Spider-Man from that and there's not much left. Venom's conspicuously absent from the trailer, so I wonder if he'll even look like him. If he doesn't, what is point? If he does, it's just a missed opportunity wiping out all the reason for any of it. It feels like that weird Halle Berry Catwoman film.

Replies From View

I'm still holding out hope for at least five seasons of a Smallville style TV series about Venom going to high school and so on.

In about season 3 he'd finally meet Peter Parker and go "Ooh look there's a mortal enemy for me" and that would be good.

bgmnts

They're just literally doing anything now aren't they?

No creative thought, no process beyond 'throw enough shit some sticks'.

Doesn't seem great.

Glebe

Mister Six

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on February 09, 2018, 01:15:39 PM
I don't understand the purpose of this film really. Was anyone clamouring for a Spider-man-less Venom origin movie? Fans will be annoyed of the complete change of backstory (seemingly now cribbed from Guyver's origin story) and non-fans won't give a shit anyway.

The purpose is to make Sony a shit-ton of money. They want to make a Marvel-style shared universe with the characters they have the rights to, which are Spider-Man and his villains. The same thing was planned for after Amazing Spider-Man 2 but obviously they fucked that right up.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Mister Six on February 10, 2018, 08:28:00 PM
They want to make a Marvel-style shared universe with the characters they have the rights to, which are Spider-Man and his villains.

What do I want to see most,

or

???

bgmnts

I just want to see Spiderman fight Rhino, Kraven, Mysterio and Shocker for 2 hours.

Basically like the games but on a film.

Dr Rock