Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,454
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:32:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Marvel's Sony's Venom (Spider-Man spin-off)

Started by Mister Six, February 09, 2018, 04:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

and the jailer man
and sailor sam
we're searching everyone

bgmnts

And I want Mary Jane Ashley to be played by Christy Mack in a ginger wig.

Replies From View

magval

Quote from: Mango Chimes on February 10, 2018, 01:56:43 PM
Weird, isn't it. I know plenty of people don't like Venom (traditional Spider-Man fans who think Venom's a bit shit-90s-darkness being shat onto a colourful fun world)

The earliest Venom comics, right through the first six or seven years, aren't dark at all. He's an outrageously cartoonish character who makes constant jokes during combat and is a bit of a hoot. There's no darkness to it at all, really. He just hates Spider-Man and is a wee bit mental.

ieXush2i

Quote from: magval on February 11, 2018, 10:43:13 AM
The earliest Venom comics, right through the first six or seven years, aren't dark at all. He's an outrageously cartoonish character who makes constant jokes during combat and is a bit of a hoot. There's no darkness to it at all, really. He just hates Spider-Man and is a wee bit mental.

Hmmm

Replies From View

Bit of an overreaction from the blonde-haired bloke there.

kidsick5000

Late 80s /early 90s mainstream US comic art - vile stuff.

Dr Rock

Quote from: kidsick5000 on February 11, 2018, 04:27:41 PM
Late 80s /early 90s mainstream US comic art - vile stuff.

Yeah, that's when I flounced.

magval

David Michelinie was writing Spider-Man at the time and his stories were fun through and through. Even the story where Mary Jane was being stalked by a rich fan (and their landlord at the time) managed to maintain a sense of light-heartedness. Conway was writing Spectacular and Web Of Spider-Man at the same time with a deliberate 1970s vibe and the proper, unwelcome of-the-times darkness didn't kick in until JM DeMatteis started writing Amazing Spider-Man and Spidey ditched Peter Parker altogether after his parents returned, turned out to be clones sent by his best mate (also the Green Goblin) before HE died, all of which happened around the time his Aunt May died and his clone came back from years in Exile.

This is the sort of thing I was talking about:

Namtab

I reckon there would have been some fun to have with a horror noirish take with Eddie Brock as a journalist - similar to that 'Truth in Journalism' fan film that got made a few years back. This looks pretty generic though.

magval

SavageHedgehog

New Trailer

Looks terrible, but in a way reminiscent enough of earlier terrible comic book movies I have some affection for, like Spawn. Consequently, I'm looking forward to it.

There's also something kind of thrilling about the tightrope Hardy walks between admired actor and walking meme. Will he fall into Oscar Bait respectability or will he be taking over the DTV Market after Cage retires? In case he falls into the former I want to enjoy this Hardy while I can.

Into the Spider-Verse is the Spider-Man/Marvel progeny I'm holding my hopes out for being actually good.

Johnny Textface

I'm in. At least it looks cinematic and not like a tv show a la all Marvel Studio films. Also the two leads are great actors.

Namtab

Thought it looked pretty dull. Shame, could've been fantastic.

Butchers Blind

Some of the dialogue in the that was hokey at best.  Nice to see Hardy doing his gruff voice thing, again.

colacentral

Looks shite. Venom is only mildly interesting in relation to Spider-Man and the wider Marvel universe; as a standalone character it's shite.

My prediction: the villain becomes Carnage at the end so you have two Venoms fighting.

I agree that it looks very 90's, in the same way the Amazing Spider-Man films did. Shiny labs with cannisters of gloop brings to mind Ninja Turtles, and the suit gives me an Ivan Ooze from Power Rangers: The Move vibe, but set in the world of Blade: a pretty terrible combination of things to be reminded of.

disagree that it looks any more cinematic than the MCU films. It looked very flat and boring to me.

Hardy could be picking up a Razzie nomination for this - that over the top nerdy thing he's going is unconvincing and has shades of Jamie Foxx in, again, Amazing Spider-Man 2, which in turn reminds me of the campy villain performances in the 90's Batman films.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

VelourSpirit

It's like one of those 90s films but probably without any of the charm, instead of an atmosphere it's just that cold digital look

colacentral

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 24, 2018, 06:43:29 PM
Did you just diss Blade?

To clarify: Blade's alright - not great, not terrible - and this looks like a weaker, PG fugazi of it, in 2018. So not really a diss on Blade.

Johnny Textface

Well at least all this pessimism means you might be pleasantly surprised.

All the MEU films look like tv to me.

greenman

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on April 24, 2018, 07:35:55 AM
New Trailer

Looks terrible, but in a way reminiscent enough of earlier terrible comic book movies I have some affection for, like Spawn. Consequently, I'm looking forward to it.

There's also something kind of thrilling about the tightrope Hardy walks between admired actor and walking meme. Will he fall into Oscar Bait respectability or will he be taking over the DTV Market after Cage retires? In case he falls into the former I want to enjoy this Hardy while I can.

Into the Spider-Verse is the Spider-Man/Marvel progeny I'm holding my hopes out for being actually good.

Yeah that trailer definitely has a hint of Cage in the late 90's/early 00's when he was still trying to get something more out of cheesey blockbuster roles.

Dr Rock

Mango Chimes

Venom at the end looks surprisingly like the Raimi version i.e. shit.

surreal

Just looks like a movie version of the "Prototype" games

phantom_power

I don't know much about the character but that looks like it could be a load of big old bollocks fun. Hopefully there will be plenty of Tom Hardy over-acting talking to himself

Kelvin

Quote from: Mango Chimes on April 25, 2018, 04:07:41 PM
Venom at the end looks surprisingly like the Raimi version i.e. shit.

It looks pretty comic book faithful to me. That's the problem. Venom always looked a big shit. He's a big, bulky, HARDCORE monster.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

What happens to Brock's real face when he's in the costume? Surely you'd see his chin every time the venom gob opened up.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Kelvin on April 25, 2018, 06:55:42 PMIt looks pretty comic book faithful to me. That's the problem. Venom always looked a big shit. He's a big, bulky, HARDCORE monster.

Oh, I'm not saying it's shit because it's unfaithful. Just that it's shit. I reckon you could do it interestingly, if you make its skin look like oil rather than plastic (and go further, so it's unnaturally black like the monsters in Attack The Block) and make its eyes like bright fluctuating reflections rather than blobs of congealed spunk.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mango Chimes on April 25, 2018, 09:05:17 PM
Oh, I'm not saying it's shit because it's unfaithful. Just that it's shit. I reckon you could do it interestingly, if you make its skin look like oil rather than plastic (and go further, so it's unnaturally black like the monsters in Attack The Block) and make its eyes like bright fluctuating reflections rather than blobs of congealed spunk.

Ah, right, well then, yes, I probably agree. I did actually quite like the sleeker Venom design in Spider Man 3, though, if only for the 5 seconds that it's actually on screen. 

kidsick5000

The trailer fits a huge amount of exposition into its 2.44 mins.
Which means you'll at least half an hour of the film will essentially be the extended trailer.
"Here's the slow version of how Eddie Brock got the symbiote."

That and the Venom creature looks like it was created for a cheap TV version in the early-90s.
Sometimes these films can be too faithful to the comics.