Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Filming starts today!

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/2952/this_time_with_alan_partridge/

QuoteAs previously reported, Alan Partridge is to return to the BBC in a new comedy series.

BBC One has now announced that filming begins today on the project, This Time With Alan Partridge, which sees him back on screen at the broadcaster in "his first return to live television since his 90s chat show Knowing Me, Knowing You was cancelled after a guest was fatally shot on air".

Steve Coogan's character will now return as temporary co-host of a weekday evening magazine programme, spoofing The One Show.

Having been seen in a number of comedies for Sky in recent years, This Time will be the character's first major return to the BBC since sitcom I'm Alan Partridge ended in 2002.

The BBC explain: "This Time is the perfect shop window for a man of Alan's gravitas and will, or should, see him finally recognised as one of the heavyweight broadcasters of his era.

"The show itself is a heady mix of consumer affairs, current affairs, viewer interaction, highbrow interview and lightweight froth; very much the sweet spots for a man whose CV boasts over two decades of weekday local radio. And with an array of diverse subjects on the agenda, it promises the perfect fit for a man whose broadcasting style has been described as 'equidistant between chitchat and analysis'."

Joining Coogan on the sofa will be Susannah Fielding as his female co-presenter Jennie Gresham, and Tim Key as Simon 'formerly Sidekick Simon' Denton. Further casting will be announced in due course.

The six-part series from Baby Cow Productions is due to be broadcast later this year. It has been written by Coogan with now long-term Partridge collaborators Neil and Rob Gibbons, who also direct.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I'm particularly looking forward to finding out how Alan would feasibly be re-employed by the BBC after accidentally killing a man live on air.

Perhaps within Alan's fictional universe he's been hired by a generation of commissioners who regard him as an "ironic" '90s LOL Legend. That would make sense. Alan would be blissfully unaware of this, of course.

BeardFaceMan

I've never seen the One Show, do they have an audience in for that at all? All the recent Partridge has been great but I'd love to see him with some audience laughter again. I would have thought someone on here would be going to tapings if they were using a studio audience so I take it it's no audience?

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 12, 2018, 10:05:14 AM
I'm particularly looking forward to finding out how Alan would feasibly be re-employed by the BBC after accidentally killing a man live on air.
Noel Edmonds basically managed it.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 12, 2018, 10:24:57 AM
I've never seen the One Show, do they have an audience in for that at all? All the recent Partridge has been great but I'd love to see him with some audience laughter again. I would have thought someone on here would be going to tapings if they were using a studio audience so I take it it's no audience?

They have some people in the background behind the camera men so you get the occasional guffaw but the audience don't really play a significant part in the shitfest. Then again, seeing as it's only a spoof, they could add an audience if they saw fit.

Ja'moke

There is so much comic potential with this idea. Can't bloody wait!

ieXush2i

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 12, 2018, 10:24:57 AM

It's like a less-pissed, smaller and more manageable TFI Friday crew-audience setup. Lots of "weeeeeeys!" and in-jokey laughter from cameramen and floor assistants.

BeardFaceMan

It'll be interesting to see how they do the interviews too. Will they use real life people or fake celebs like KMKY? If it's real people will their responses be scripted for them or not. I find when Alan interviews real celebs and they don't have scripted answers it never quite works, I hope they go down the KMKY route for guests.

Utter Shit

Mid Morning Matters stuck with him interviewing fake guests, so hopefully they stay with that route.

ieXush2i

I'm vaguely sure I've watched The One Show or Country File or something like that and been surprised when a "Christ, I'd forgotten they'd ever existed" ex-celeb pops up for a field report.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 12, 2018, 10:44:50 AM
It'll be interesting to see how they do the interviews too. Will they use real life people or fake celebs like KMKY? If it's real people will their responses be scripted for them or not. I find when Alan interviews real celebs and they don't have scripted answers it never quite works, I hope they go down the KMKY route for guests.

Christ, yes. Can't help but feel if they go for the 'genuine celebs' route, it'll end up as a curates egg. I'd definitely be happiest if it followed the KMKY template.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 12, 2018, 10:46:52 AM
Mid Morning Matters stuck with him interviewing fake guests, so hopefully they stay with that route.

Yeah thats true. Alan works better in his own world. Stuff like Bill Oddie or Sue Cook is funny but it's the kind of thing works best when talked about and not seen.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on February 12, 2018, 10:50:08 AM
Christ, yes. Can't help but feel if they go for the 'genuine celebs' route, it'll end up as a curates egg. I'd definitely be happiest if it followed the KMKY template.

If it ends up anything like Mrs Merton I won't be able to watch it.

ieXush2i

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on February 12, 2018, 10:31:34 AM
Noel Edmonds basically managed it.

Ah, but Aaln doesn't have the cosmic ordering skillz as Neol.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 12, 2018, 10:05:14 AM

They already did for Knowing Me, Knowing Yule. Not that that improved his career prospects at the Beeb, of course...

St_Eddie

I can hardly wait for this to air.  Knowing Me, Knowing You is my favourite Partridge related show, so something new in that vein, is very much welcome.

I'll be very disappointed, should they go down the real-life celebrity route.  It's concerning that Coogan expressed an interest in doing just that, not too long ago.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 12, 2018, 10:46:52 AM

hopefully. the kind of celebs they'd have on now would be annoying. Your Alan Carr's, TOWIE person, or some other twit with no reverence for the AP universe.

BlodwynPig

Actually would be fun to see Noel Edmonds playing it straight as a guest.

ieXush2i

He was quite funny as himself on one of the Pern series, the mad fucker.

Hat FM

surely it'll be much easier to go with fake people completely lampooning the empty types we see on these reality shows nowadays.

asids

The concept sounds brilliant with so much potential. Can't wait.

Malcy

Be good if we could get Marber, Front etc to play the guests.

Artemis

I'm a bit torn about this. The UK dearly needs some comedy with bite. There's nothing there right now, it's all toothless banality for the most part. I'd like to see a show say something - cause a discussion, get people angry, whatever. There's ample subject matter at the moment, and Coogan/Gibbons have the skill to do so cleverly and with nuance.

Then again, I so enjoy Alan in his little bubble of comfort, it's so lovely to watch, I'd hate for anything to burst it.

Artemis

Quote from: Malcy on February 12, 2018, 06:17:34 PM
Be good if we could get Marber, Front etc to play the guests.

Christ, no. What a depressing step backwards that would be.

QDRPHNC

Yeah, the guests on mid morning matters are far more believable.

CaledonianGonzo

Though obviously sometimes still played by quite big names like Reece Shearsmith and Julian Barrett.

Kryton

I feel exactly the same way and came to this thread to say the same thing. I'm really hoping it's mostly fictional characters. Scripted celebrity stuff can be very hit and miss.

I realise I just repeated pretty much what you just said.

EDIT: and I hadn't read any other comments beyond yours until this edit. We're all pretty much in agreement.

We should all go for a pint.

Kryton

Quote from: (Ex poster) on February 12, 2018, 02:16:12 PM
He was quite funny as himself on one of the Pern series, the mad fucker.

I never get the hate for Edmonds here. I'm quite naive though. Besides some vague talk of allegedly maiming and killing(?) a few guests, what has he done wrong? Besides you know Mr Blobby and his mad (too) fluffy beard and hair and dress sense. And his odd obsession with positive/negative energy. And his truly alienating, otherworldly quirks...

What gives?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kryton on February 12, 2018, 10:39:45 PM
I never get the hate for Edmonds here. I'm quite naive though. Besides some vague talk of allegedly maiming and killing(?) a few guests, what has he done wrong? Besides you know Mr Blobby and his mad (too) fluffy beard and hair and dress sense. And his odd obsession with positive/negative energy. And his truly alienating, otherworldly quirks...

What gives?

Fellow Edmondophile here. Met the guy when I lived down in Okehampton and although he probably was a bit rankled at disturbing his quiet evening in the pub, seemed a proper nice fellow.