Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:59:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bumlord

Quote from: Howj Begg on August 25, 2018, 10:45:15 AM
Is it Coogan on the right?

It really does look like him.

Curiouser and curiouser.

holyzombiejesus

Spoilers: The guy on the right is an Irish Alan Partridge lookalike. I thought the man on the left was Daniel Craig.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 25, 2018, 11:03:55 AM
Spoilers:

Yeah, it would be weird if it was Coogan. Would take you right out of Partridge reality.
Only two male actors named on IMDB so far: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7011370/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm. (Interesting writing credits if that's correct. Have Lee & Herring been acknowledged before? I missed it if so.)

Howj Begg

Very interesting. Thanks holyzombiejesus.

Good to see Lee and Herring getting some credit.

olliebean

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on August 25, 2018, 11:08:23 AM
Yeah, it would be weird if it was Coogan. Would take you right out of Partridge reality.
Only two male actors named on IMDB so far: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7011370/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm. (Interesting writing credits if that's correct. Have Lee & Herring been acknowledged before? I missed it if so.)

AFAIAA, anyone can contribute to the info on IMDb (note the "Edit Page" button at the bottom), so probably that's just a Lee & Herring fan who wanted them to get some credit. I'd be surprised if they're credited in the actual credits (unless they actually have done some writing specifically for this series, which seems unlikely).

axel

bobloblaw

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on August 25, 2018, 11:08:23 AM

Saw it. It is he.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: bobloblaw on August 28, 2018, 02:15:52 PM
Saw it. It is he.

Tell us more! Was it Daniel Craig too? Were the clips good? Did it show how Lynne was involved?

bobloblaw

not that actor, no.
no Lynne in the clip.
was def a return to the Knowing Me, Knowing You-style formula of Partridge+awkward/annoying guest - perfectly pastiching One Show style

bobloblaw

Tim Key's in the clip too, btw
Susannah Fielding (The Great Indoors) plays his Christine Bleakley-esque co-host
Alan stands in after her co-host has a heart attack and ends up staying
Coogan says he choose to call it This Time With... when he "tried to think of the blandest name for a magazine show"

Coogan was in full beardy, long-haired auteur mode for the festival - sample quote:" I love comedy, but I'm much more interested in having it as a tool in your arsenal to sugar the pill when you explore anything more complicated"

Was also bigging up Kieran Hodgson, who he'd seen the night before

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: bobloblaw on August 28, 2018, 03:33:17 PM
was def a return to the Knowing Me, Knowing You-style formula of Partridge+awkward/annoying guest - perfectly pastiching One Show style

So are the guests all fictional characters rather than celebrities playing themselves?

bobloblaw

well, we only saw 2 in the clip. He didn't elaborate

Maurice Yeatman

Considering the same actors play several parts across Knowing Me, Knowing You and some of the other series, I don't feel like Coogan playing someone else is a step too far.

Maurice Yeatman

I guess so, it's only TV comedy, but to me that was nascent Partridge. Just seems a strange choice since he's now a semi-realistic figure, with MMM, documentaries, autobiographies and the film.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bobloblaw on August 28, 2018, 03:33:17 PM
...was def a return to the Knowing Me, Knowing You-style formula of Partridge+awkward/annoying guest...

Oh, fuck YES!

Clownbaby

Aw sweet, I didn't know about this. There's often plenty awkwardness in the real One Show so it's potentially a gold mine for Alan-y cringe value

QDRPHNC

Still cautiously optimistic, but getting a bit of a sinking feeling about this.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 30, 2018, 04:12:09 PM
Still cautiously optimistic, but getting a bit of a sinking feeling about this.

Based on what? With the exception of Alpha Papa - which still has its moments - everything that Coogan and the Gibbons have done with Partridge has been fantastic.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 30, 2018, 05:25:03 PM
Based on what? With the exception of Alpha Papa - which still has its moments - everything that Coogan and the Gibbons have done with Partridge has been fantastic.

The return to the KMKY talk show format. I'm hoping it's a superficial resemblance, and they maintain the realism and underlying pathos of the more recent stuff.

Howj Begg

No no, I want the KMKY format back. I excite.

Twed

Quote from: Howj Begg on August 30, 2018, 05:36:53 PM
No no, I want the KMKY format back. I excite.
I think that would undo about 20 years of character development.

Howj Begg

I don't see why, if it's the current character, and I doubt Coogan would revert the character to its signs and significations of 20 years ago. But that format is potentially evergreen, and it looks to me like Coogan himself has recognised that, but choosing this one show spoof in the first place (and with playing other parts himself).

Quote from: QDRPHNC on August 30, 2018, 05:28:35 PM
The return to the KMKY talk show format. I'm hoping it's a superficial resemblance, and they maintain the realism and underlying pathos of the more recent stuff.

It'll almost certainly be a combination of the KMKY format and everything they've done with the character since.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 30, 2018, 05:50:42 PM
It'll almost certainly be a combination of the KMKY format and everything they've done with the character since.

Well like I said, cautiously optimistic.

Quote from: Howj Begg on August 30, 2018, 05:42:54 PM
I don't see why, if it's the current character, and I doubt Coogan would revert the character to its signs and significations of 20 years ago. But that format is potentially evergreen, and it looks to me like Coogan himself has recognised that, but choosing this one show spoof in the first place (and with playing other parts himself).

I suspect he's only playing one other part. As bobloblaw mentioned earlier in the thread, the guest in that clip is an Irish Alan Partridge lookalike.

hedgehog90

Seems pretty safe to assume that it'll resemble MMM structurally, where you have the on-air show inter-cut with behind-the-scenes goings on.
The way the character's developed I can't imagine them doing anything but that tbh.
Whoever mentioned KMKY is most likely comparing it on a superficial level.

Quote from: hedgehog90 on August 30, 2018, 06:29:50 PM
Seems pretty safe to assume that it'll resemble MMM structurally, where you have the on-air show inter-cut with behind-the-scenes goings on.
The way the character's developed I can't imagine them doing anything but that tbh.

It has to be that, as we already know that Lynn is a recurring character.

Utter Shit

Maybe a bit like the somewhat-unfairly forgotten Annually Retentive then? Mostly backstage stuff, but with plenty of clips of the show itself providing structure?

Yes, I think it might work along those lines. Annually Retentive, which I quite liked, was blatantly influenced by The Larry Sanders Show, but unlike the latter I don't think it ever left the studio or backstage area? The new Partridge show might be similar.

I liked the simple in-universe explanation of everything we saw in MMM being recorded by a studio Webcam, but I also like the idea of this show being a combination of backstage sitcom and on-air shenanigans: basically a fusion of every Partridge TV format so far.

Anyway, we'll see.