Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,474
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:45:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

According to this link, the new series is out in February. Apologies if this was already common knowledge, I hadn't seen that info anywhere.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jan/02/must-see-tv-shows-2019

Malcy

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 02, 2019, 10:39:08 AM
According to this link, the new series is out in February. Apologies if this was already common knowledge, I hadn't seen that info anywhere.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jan/02/must-see-tv-shows-2019

Was wondering about this. I know it's been finished for ages. I think all we knew before was 'Early 2019'. Nice to know thats still the plan.

The Lurker

St_Eddie

They should have scheduled to air it during one of the months beginning with the letter 'P', to better promote the event of new Partridge.  Idiots missed a trick there.

Mr Faineant

He's on Marc Maron's Podcast this week. He talks funny. Weird accent. Talks briefly about the new show, says coming Feb.

Malcy

He's sent an email to the press.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/this_time_with_alan_partridge/special/alan_partridge_press_invite/

QuoteI'm Alan Partridge and I am delighted, or at least content, to invite you to a special preview screening of my (and BBC One's) upcoming magazine show 'This Time with Alan Partridge' (my emphasis).

The show marks my return to BBC Television after two decades in various doldrums (depression, radio, Sky Atlantic) and you've been carefully selected because you're either a journalist with a pleasant disposition or a friend or representative of an institution with whom I currently hold no specific grudge.

Limited refreshments will be provided. I think it works out at about two drinks a head, although around a third of you won't drink so some of you can have four. Food-wise, expect light snacks; those of you with a large appetite or poor impulse control should probably eat before you get there.

Toilet facilities are also on hand, catering for the full spectrum of gender and disability - but again, if you have more bespoke needs, try to go before you arrive.

Dress code: Just show a bit of respect really.

Have some manners and RSVP.

Neomod

Quote from: Mr Faineant on January 07, 2019, 09:09:46 PM
He's on Marc Maron's Podcast this week. He talks funny. Weird accent.

Yeah that was odd. Part mid Atlantic, part Nigel Tuffnell.

jimboslice

I can see how it would be easy to slip into a slightly American way of speaking, but it just sounds affected, like Steve McClaren at FC Twente. Maybe sounding slightly American is the way to endear yourself to the Yankee public? He also massively played up his Irish roots. Coogan just wants to be loved.

Nowhere Man

Every Yankee Tom, Dick and Harry from places like Boston and New York or whatever likes to massively play up that they're as Irish as you can get, Guinness and shamrocks an' that. Mind you most of them never even set foot on Irish soil.

So I can see that sort of thing appealing to that audience.

holyzombiejesus

No, there's no air date yet. there's a very very brief clip of an interview with Coogan here though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YP2yaygFDU

Malcy

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 01, 2019, 11:47:32 PM
No, there's no air date yet. there's a very very brief clip of an interview with Coogan here though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YP2yaygFDU

Ugh. RTE.

End of the month for this I reckon. Must be announcing the airdate soon.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It looks like this will be starting on BBC One on Monday 25th February.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 04, 2019, 05:41:20 PM
It looks like this will be starting on BBC One on Monday 25th February.

Are you on the press preview list?

Bennett Brauer

Nice one. Hope you'll give us a non-spoiler reaction if you can.

ToneLa

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 04, 2019, 11:19:07 PM

Needless to say, I hope he doesn't have the last laugh.

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 04, 2019, 11:19:07 PM

The first episode suggests that it's the seamless, and very funny, fusion of KMKYWAP and MMM it always sounded like on paper. You really feel for Alan as he attempts to launch his comeback.

ToneLa

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 05, 2019, 02:47:52 AM
The first episode suggests that it's the seamless, and very funny, fusion of KMKYWAP and MMM it always sounded like on paper. You really feel for Alan as he attempts to launch his comeback.

In other words... Jurassic Park!?

Definitely not, it couldn't be further removed from the broad, clunky excesses of IAP S2. It's MMM on terrestrial television, with elements of Welcome to the Places... and Scissored Isle worked in. Alan presenting The One Show, it really is the perfect format for him.

Straight away, there's an interesting dynamic between Alan and his co-presenter, and you get a couple of guest appearances from Lynn and Sidekick Simon. It's great.

popcorn

Does it have off-camera stuff too? Or is it all presented as a TV show?

ToneLa

Ace. Actually like the Gibbons bros era more than the original era, so that sounds good. Just guessing here, based on my favourite qualities that the newer era heightened, but hoping for a bit of pathos.

How Live is it? Fluid I suppose? MMM was sublime, especially series 2: just almost continuous hilarity, very sleek. I suppose I'm interested in the presentation, but you likening it to MMM gives me real optimism for the pace, the rate, and the coherency.

Bodes well. Thanks for sharing, and honestly: if you think any elements are best left as a pleasant surprise, I won't be arsed if you tell us it's best left unspoiled. I'm rambling like a fanboy!

ToneLa

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 05, 2019, 03:27:04 AM
At the risk of sounding like a massive "ooh, look at me, I've seen it" wanker, I really shouldn't say anything else about it. Hopefully you understand? More than my job's worth etc.

It's very funny and packed with all the subtle pathos and attention to detail you'd expect. Coogan so fully inhabits that character, he now feels so real and weirdly sympathetic, you'll probably find yourself on edge watching Alan attempt to stage a comeback.

Happy with that and get the tight lips. (ooer)

All I wanted to know is it wasn't disappointing. Thanks for not indulging my pathetic, weak willed questions as now I can proper look forward to this. :)

Ferris

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 05, 2019, 03:01:57 AM
Definitely not, it couldn't be further removed from the broad, clunky excesses of IAP S2. It's MMM on terrestrial television, with elements of Welcome to the Places... and Scissored Isle worked in. Alan presenting The One Show, it really is the perfect format for him.

Straight away, there's an interesting dynamic between Alan and his co-presenter, and you get a couple of guest appearances from Lynn and Sidekick Simon. It's great.

Excellent.  This has only furthered my hype.  I'm especially relieved to hear that it's not gone down the path of the broad betrayal of the established characters that was the second series of I'm Alan Partridge.

Quote from: popcorn on February 05, 2019, 03:09:51 AM
Does it have off-camera stuff too? Or is it all presented as a TV show?

This is what I really want to know too.  I'm hoping that it's presented as the show that viewers would see in-universe and doesn't have cutaways to what's happening behind the scenes.

Mobius

So glad to hear it's good! I mean I knew it would be, but nice to have it confirmed.

Really excited, does sound like a perfect mashup of environments where Partridge shines.

bobloblaw

as another early viewer, I can attest to Ballad's summation. It works brilliantly. Second ep allays fears that it might get too same-y each week, but I'll say no more. But the opening section of that ep is some of Coogan's finest Alan work.

They've gone for a Larry Sanders style, i.e. staying with the characters after they cut to VT, but with more of the actual show than LS, plus what seems to be one Alan on-location insert per ep.

Press embargo lifts on 14 February (Alantine's Day as the BBC has waggishly called it) so expect details to tumble out then. That's a Tuesday, so probably a Radio Times cover interview I'd have thought.

Crabwalk

Thanks for the preview info, cultural gatekeeper types.

This format sounds absolutely perfect. Can't wait!