Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:38:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 13, 2019, 04:38:22 PM
I don't know where this fits in the to-and-fro of the realism debate - but I'd have thought it went without saying that The BBC channel which shows This Time on a nightly basis is fictional, and bears only a passing resemblance to the actual BBC.

Therefore, the fact that this fictional BBC employs the delusional border-line incompetent Alan Partridge on its prime time magazine show is fine. It's fine because everyone else at the fictional BBC is almost (perhaps not quite) as deluded and in-over-their-head as Alan. That's why the 'Partridge You Wanker' was left in: no-one had time to edit it out, or thought someone else would... and Jennie is just Partridge but younger and luckier.

It's all fine from that point of view. So relax and enjoy the jokes.

This is how I read it too.

petril

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 13, 2019, 04:38:22 PM
That's why the 'Partridge You Wanker' was left in: no-one had time to edit it out, or thought someone else would... and Jennie is just Partridge but younger and luckier.

or knew that nobody else would, because they don't like Alan. His Alanness softcunt ways, and his production company possibly undercutting the usual, regular mates who do inserts. I think your view and what I said dovetail in a nice, bitter way. why prioritise making a cunt look polished and good when you're pressed to get the show done?

olliebean

Am I misremembering seeing something on here suggesting that Coogan was going to appear in this playing himself being interviewed by Alan?

ajsmith2

Quote from: olliebean on March 13, 2019, 04:58:51 PM
Am I misremembering seeing something on here suggesting that Coogan was going to appear in this playing himself being interviewed by Alan?

I thought it was that Coogan plays more than one role in this show (as he did in Saxondale), not that he plays himself.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: ajsmith2 on March 13, 2019, 05:00:19 PM
I thought it was that Coogan plays more than one role in this show (as he did in Saxondale), not that he plays himself.

Yes, it's that. He's not gone full-on meta a la The Bellboy, where the titular character, played by Jerry Lewis, meets an exaggerated version of the actual Jerry Lewis. That wouldn't work at all in the Partridge-verse.

GMTV

Liked the debate section, few big laughs.

St bastards in knucklesford

AlexTwist

Quote from: olliebean on March 13, 2019, 04:58:51 PM

I've heard he plays an Alan Partridge lookalike that doesn't really know anything about him.

magval

I remember that, as well as all of the bullshit about this show being in its entirety about Alan taking on Brexit.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: ajsmith2 on March 13, 2019, 05:00:19 PM

He played a Young Alan in this last episode, I suppose.

Twit 2

I'm broadly in the 'just enjoy it' camp but one of the reasons I love this place is that people put so much thought and care into the analyses, however misguided. There's room for both camps.

I didn't think episode 3 was much better or worse than the 1st two. I find the whole thing hit and miss but very enjoyable to watch and chock full of wonderful comedy.

Quote from: magval on March 13, 2019, 06:24:57 PM
I remember that, as well as all of the bullshit about this show being in its entirety about Alan taking on Brexit.

Where did that bullshit emanate from, I wonder? I vaguely recall the Gibbons having to refute those rumours, they must've been annoyed that their new series was being misleadingly sold as a comedic take on Brexit.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 13, 2019, 06:52:07 PM
I guess someone's opinion/prediction.

Yep, which was then widely reported until the actual creators of the show had to come forward and say, "Err, no actually, it's not about that at all."

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 13, 2019, 07:12:07 PM
Yep, which was then widely reported until the actual creators of the show had to come forward and say, "Err, no actually, it's not about that at all."

a bit like the back and forth on this thread ;) <- joke (?).

Quote from: Thomas on March 13, 2019, 03:55:49 PM
Future hopes:

An appearance by Chris Morris.

Coogan in character as Alan on Desert Island Discs.

Close enough, from 2017: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0583r28

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 13, 2019, 06:41:47 PM
Where did that bullshit emanate from, I wonder?

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-08-03/alan-partridge-will-return-to-the-bbc-to-become-the-voice-of-brexit/

The Radio Times editorialising he's the 'voice of Brexit', in quotes, despite that phrase not being used by Coogan. (Nor, oddly, do some of the quotes in the body actually appear in the article from which they were apparently sourced, if you follow the New European link.)

What it does include is this:

Quotewhat's Alan up to now?

"Well, because he has got a show on the BBC, we have a problem, because we have to explain why he's a failure, but that he has a show. The logic of what he is doing has to make sense.

"It's conceivable, because in this age of Brexit, they (the BBC) might think they need to get in touch with the 'Little Englanders' they ignore."

Bad interview, apparently not in full, here: https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/alan-partridge-at-the-bbc-getting-in-touch-with-all-the-little-englanders-1-5132908

kalowski

The funny bits are extremely funny, but I'm firmly in the "something's not right" camp. In still not quite sure what it is, but it feels hyper real.
Years ago, my wife skiied into a bloke, knocking him to the ground. He was very British, and rather than complain, he said, "In many ways you've done me a favour. I fancied a rest."
That's what I see with some of the posts here. People are working hard creating reasons (the background) for some of the stranger moments. I think if it needs viewers to constantly create the back story, it's not good enough.

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 13, 2019, 08:11:44 PM
https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-08-03/alan-partridge-will-return-to-the-bbc-to-become-the-voice-of-brexit/

The Radio Times editorialising he's the 'voice of Brexit', in quotes, despite that phrase not being used by Coogan. (Nor, oddly, do some of the quotes in the body actually appear in the article from which they were apparently sourced, if you follow the New European link.)

What it does include is this:

Bad interview, apparently not in full, here: https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/alan-partridge-at-the-bbc-getting-in-touch-with-all-the-little-englanders-1-5132908

Ah yes, that was where it all came from. Thanks, Mango Chimes.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: kalowski on March 13, 2019, 08:30:36 PM
The funny bits are extremely funny, but I'm firmly in the "something's not right" camp. In still not quite sure what it is, but it feels hyper real.
Years ago, my wife skiied into a bloke, knocking him to the ground. He was very British, and rather than complain, he said, "In many ways you've done me a favour. I fancied a rest."
That's what I see with some of the posts here. People are working hard creating reasons (the background) for some of the stranger moments. I think if it needs viewers to constantly create the back story, it's not good enough.

I don't think the bigger fans of This Time on this thread are working hard creating reasons for themselves but for the people who are getting tied in knots over realism, canon issues and inconsistencies of the character, Alan Partridge.

kalowski

I humbly disagree, but I'm off for a shower so can't be bothered finding evidence, sorry.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: kalowski on March 13, 2019, 08:47:46 PM
I humbly disagree, but I'm off for a shower so can't be bothered finding evidence, sorry.

Which is fine. Enjoy your shower. Must add I love all the different opinions here.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

So, who was that figure in the window of Alan's house when he left?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 13, 2019, 08:53:30 PM
Which is fine. Enjoy your shower. Must add I love all the different opinions here.

Images of Kalowski showering off his fumes.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 13, 2019, 09:01:50 PM

Dark Towers ghost, or Wordy.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

DrGreggles

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 13, 2019, 09:01:50 PM

Bianca the prostitute

BlodwynPig

Cuellar