Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:29:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 13, 2019, 09:25:36 PM
Images of Kalowski showering off his fumes.
There is an issue I've been meaning to raise for the last two weeks. You know those little soaps you leave in the shower room? Well, they will withstand at best, one aggressive body scrub. They start of the size of mini Frisbees and end up like actual-size Paracetamol

Cuellar

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 13, 2019, 09:37:44 PM
An unnamed actress.

Do you not think it's interesting and fun to speculate over who that actually was in Alan's window? The Gibbons brothers directed this series, it wasn't an accident. They probably put her there to incite discussion among fans such as ourselves, but that's funny in itself.

kalowski

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 13, 2019, 09:01:50 PM
So, who was that figure in the window of Alan's house when he left?
It's Simon's mum. I'm not the only one with a Denton Abbey theory.

quinlad

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 13, 2019, 09:51:06 PM
Do you not think it's interesting and fun to speculate over who that actually was in Alan's window? The Gibbons brothers directed this series, it wasn't an accident. They probably put her there to incite discussion among fans such as ourselves, but that's funny in itself.

I thought it was Dark Towers ghost but Lord of the Forum was having none of it

batwings

Quote from: kalowski on March 13, 2019, 09:54:03 PM
It's Simon's mum. I'm not the only one with a Denton Abbey theory.

That's what I think too. Why else call it Denton Abbey if not to suggest something on the lines that it's Simon's parent's home and that Alan is pretending its his for the telly?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 13, 2019, 10:34:43 PM
I thought it was Dark Towers ghost but Lord of the Forum was having none of it

No idea what that means, sorry.

Phil_A

Blodders is referring to this spectral cunt.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 13, 2019, 09:36:11 PM
Aye also real suggestions welcome

It's the real owner of the house, innit.  That's 100% what the joke is.  They did the exact same joke in Scissored Isle...

[FROM OUTSIDE, THE CAMERA FOCUSES ON THE TOP FLOOR OF A LARGE HOUSE.  AN OLD WOMAN IS VISIBLE BEHIND ONE OF THE WINDOWS, PEERING OUT]

[THE CAMERA PANS DOWN TO ALAN LEAVING THE FRONT DOOR OF THE HOUSE]

ALAN: "As you can see I live in pretty salubrious digs and while the mortgage crippled me, my name's on the deed, I live here, it's my house."

[ALAN'S EYES DART BACK AND FORTH, SHIFTILY]

"Anyway, this is the lie... life I'll be leaving behind."

St_Eddie

BlodwynPig

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: kalowski on March 13, 2019, 08:30:36 PM
I think if it needs viewers to constantly create the back story, it's not good enough.

If you think that there are bits that are unrealistic and would never get broadcast etc then that requires you to come up with a backstory because you're constantly deciding whether the joke fits into the realism or the universe or whatever. Whereas the people who accept it as a sitcom actually do less creating. I don't need to come up with an in-universe reason for why someone shouting "Partridge, you wanker!" is funny because it's a gag in a silly sitcom designed to make you laugh and not designed to be a 100% accurate recreation of The One Show, people on the other side of the fence had a go at creating a backstory for it, failed, and then it took them out of the realism/spoiled it a bit. That's not really the fault of the show, thats the fault of your expectations of what the show should be.

ToneLa

I enjoy the creepy ghost face in the driver seat!

Alberon

Has anyone mentioned the sounds of fighting put on the corporal punishment film when Alan first appears in a school uniform? It's supposed to be sounds of kids getting canes or slippered or whatever, but sounds like a punch up in a bar.

Captain Z

I was too busy watching Alan awkwardly tapping his foot while that was going on, either through nervousness or to keep timing?

PeasOnSticks

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 14, 2019, 05:48:44 AM
...because you're constantly deciding whether the joke fits into the realism or the universe or whatever.

It's more a case of things just feeling off at times. The attempts at explaining why those things felt that way come later, in discussions like these. It's not (at least in my case) as if the whole half hour of the programme is spent fretting and analysing. The kind of contextual inconsistencies people are talking about are pretty obvious, and the fact that a lot of people have noticed/been bothered by them suggests this show doesn't work quite as seamlessly as other Partridgiterations. Again, that doesn't mean there's not lots to enjoy, though.

Tikwid

Rewatched Scissored Isle to check, and yep, there's definitely someone in the upstairs window of Denton Abbey - albeit a different Denton Abbey, albeit albeit one rendered in a similarly tacky Neo-Georgian style. What the hell's going on?

Morrison Lard

They're not actually his houses, and it's the homeowners gawping out the windows?

Dunno.

Twit 2

These definitely have good re-watch value. The 'air raid' section in episode 2 was even funnier. In particular, as someone who frequently drives through Devon,  the line: 'There's a meat-processing plant in Cullumpton that supplies most of the nation's poultry' really tickles me.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 14, 2019, 12:57:10 PM
These definitely have good re-watch value. The 'air raid' section in episode 2 was even funnier. In particular, as someone who frequently drives through Devon,  the line: 'There's a meat-processing plant in Cullumpton that supplies most of the nation's poultry' really tickles me.

As I pointed out, that is factually incorrect, the meat factory is a mile away in Willand.

BlodwynPig

Tikwid

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 14, 2019, 01:11:47 PM
As I pointed out, that is factually incorrect, the meat factory is a mile away in Willand.
I can attest to this, quite literally living just up the road from said poultry plant - it's surreally wonderful to see such a hyper-local reference in a franchise that, for the most part, keeps its barbs confined to the likes of Sheringham, Holt and Bungay. Although I can also attest that the smell from the plant is not nearly as nice as Alan's firebombing fantasy makes it seem :(

bgmnts

Found myself chuckling a lot during epsiode 1. I quite like the Gibbons and Coogan era of Partridge, it feels like the correct trajactory for the character.

Sidekick Simon felt shoehorned in a bit though, I must say.

One of the gags I recognised from I,Partridge and that was a slight worry but with a comedy lifespan of almost 30 years you're bound to repeat some material.

Utter Shit

There have been a few bits copied across from various recent Partridge things, I think it is deliberate (and understandable to a point, if a joke's good it seems fair enough to repeat it for however million people on BBC when MMM and the documentaries were going out to hardly anyone on Sky). The fake tan/sun bed bit this week was a copy of something very similar on MMM.

Ferris

Quote from: Tikwid on March 14, 2019, 01:24:48 PM
I can attest to this, quite literally living just up the road from said poultry plant - it's surreally wonderful to see such a hyper-local reference in a franchise that, for the most part, keeps its barbs confined to the likes of Sheringham, Holt and Bungay. Although I can also attest that the smell from the plant is not nearly as nice as Alan's firebombing fantasy makes it seem :(

They've mentioned Walsall which (I think?) is the first time I've heard my hometown mentioned on the BBC. They usually pretend the West Midlands doesn't exist so it was very odd.