Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,313
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:10:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Morrison Lard on March 14, 2019, 12:49:55 PM
They're not actually his houses, and it's the homeowners gawping out the windows?

Dunno.

As I previously said, yes, that's 100% the joke...

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 13, 2019, 11:51:59 PM
It's the real owner of the house, innit.  That's 100% what the joke is.  They did the exact same joke in Scissored Isle...

[FROM OUTSIDE, THE CAMERA FOCUSES ON THE TOP FLOOR OF A LARGE HOUSE.  AN OLD WOMAN IS VISIBLE BEHIND ONE OF THE WINDOWS, PEERING OUT]

[THE CAMERA PANS DOWN TO ALAN LEAVING THE FRONT DOOR OF THE HOUSE]

ALAN: "As you can see I live in pretty salubrious digs and while the mortgage crippled me, my name's on the deed, I live here, it's my house."

[ALAN'S EYES DART BACK AND FORTH, SHIFTILY]

"Anyway, this is the lie... life I'll be leaving behind."

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 14, 2019, 02:21:45 PM
They've mentioned Walsall which (I think?) is the first time I've heard my hometown mentioned on the BBC. They usually pretend the West Midlands doesn't exist so it was very odd.

And Newcastle.

Walsall was of course mentioned in an episode of Tales of the Unexpected, but that was ITV

quinlad

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 14, 2019, 01:36:50 PM
There have been a few bits copied across from various recent Partridge things, I think it is deliberate (and understandable to a point, if a joke's good it seems fair enough to repeat it for however million people on BBC when MMM and the documentaries were going out to hardly anyone on Sky). The fake tan/sun bed bit this week was a copy of something very similar on MMM.

Always been the way with Partridge hasn't it? Several bits were lifted from KMKY radio series to KMKY TV series.

- 'And please don't write in saying that's racist/sexist. It's not.'
- 'And thanks for bringing [apparently embarrassing thing] in, we couldn't find it anywhere.'
- Tony Hayers being brought on a guest to convince him to give him a series.

They're just off the top of my head. Not sure why people have an issue with it now.

markpaterson

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 14, 2019, 05:48:44 AM
If you think that there are bits that are unrealistic and would never get broadcast etc then that requires you to come up with a backstory because you're constantly deciding whether the joke fits into the realism or the universe or whatever. Whereas the people who accept it as a sitcom actually do less creating. I don't need to come up with an in-universe reason for why someone shouting "Partridge, you wanker!" is funny because it's a gag in a silly sitcom designed to make you laugh and not designed to be a 100% accurate recreation of The One Show, people on the other side of the fence had a go at creating a backstory for it, failed, and then it took them out of the realism/spoiled it a bit. That's not really the fault of the show, thats the fault of your expectations of what the show should be.

preach on, man. 100% agree with this and other similar points you've made.

BeardFaceMan

Just saw this in that Coogan Guardian interview (talking about the Gibbons brothers) -

When something doesn't work, Coogan defers to them as if they're Stanley Kubrick, not two young comedy writers he hired to turn in some Paul Calf gags for a TV pilot that never got made.

First I've heard of this, I thought he first got them in to do Partridge material for a live show, anyone have any more info on that pilot?

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 14, 2019, 01:12:32 PM
There are more ghosts to find in both pics.

Chuckled when I noticed the front door.

BlodwynPig

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 14, 2019, 07:04:50 PM
Just saw this in that Coogan Guardian interview (talking about the Gibbons brothers) -

First I've heard of this, I thought he first got them in to do Partridge material for a live show, anyone have any more info on that pilot?

Interesting, I've never heard of that either. Also, the quote from that article emphasises why Coogan has had such a long, fruitful and critically acclaimed career in comedy. He's rightly regarded as one of the greatest comic actors of his generation, but he's always been willing to collaborate and take notes. He regards the Gibbons as equal, not junior, partners. He's never gone mad with power.

Compare him to Gervais - as Esquire recently did: https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/tv/a26723025/ricky-gervais-and-steve-coogan-both-changed-british-comedy-then-took-very-different-paths/ - who clearly isn't willing to defer to anyone, hence why everything he churns out on his own is a load of narcissistic, first-draft hogwash. Well, that's not the only reason. Gervais doesn't have an ounce of Coogan's talent, but you can sort of imagine a series like After Life being worked up into something vaguely palatable if Gervais was open to input from other writers.

PeasOnSticks

Coogan is so much better than Gervais it's barely worth the bother of comparing them. The nuances and idiosyncracies of his performances are just in a different league - the uncanny human-ness of it all. And yeah, he also seems to be a genuinely willing and respectful collaborator, as well as a good judge of others' talents. The upcoming release of The Day Shall Come has got me thinking how great it would be if Chris Morris cast Coogan in a future project...

BeardFaceMan

Well according to that article at that Day Today reunion dinner they had they discussed doing something new together, maybe a podcast. Didn't specify whether it would be more Day Today but the audio extras on the DVD prove they can still get in a room together and produce the goods after a long break so it would be nice if something did come of it.

Emma Raducanu

Can not stop singing you and I share a common language when we eat a sausage sandwich

hermitical

Quote from: Tikwid on March 14, 2019, 01:24:48 PM
I can attest to this, quite literally living just up the road from said poultry plant

Greetings from just over the border, Wellington....

Mr Faineant

Quote from: DolphinFace on March 14, 2019, 09:41:01 PM
Can not stop singing you and I share a common language when we eat a sausage sandwich

Me too, it's stuck in my head.

EOLAN

Just caught up myself. Loved the debate at the end. Haven't got through all reactions. One lovely little moment was when he asked how many people were for and against Corporal Punishment. When it was evenly split he comments that is quite amazing; although it was more than likely set-up to have equal representation of the debate.

Loved the not-Michael story. Was a bit like an old-fashioned Abbott and Costello style routine. While it was meant to be a multi-person debate; felt Alan was just going to consistently go back to the ex-teacher character; before the Sunderland man hijacked him with a side-story. 

sevendaughters

Quote from: Mr Faineant on March 15, 2019, 01:22:58 AM
Me too, it's stuck in my head.

I went on a hike with the Mrs and couldn't stop singing "after the pee and poo has landed / make sure that you are clean-handEEED"

St_Eddie

Quote from: PeasOnSticks on March 14, 2019, 08:56:22 PM
...he also seems to be a genuinely willing and respectful collaborator, as well as a good judge of others' talents.

"I really like Tim Key, he's more willing to blink than most actors are." ~ Steve Coogan

I love this quote.  It's funny because it's true.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 15, 2019, 04:21:11 PM
"I really like Tim Key, he's more willing to blink than most actors are." ~ Steve Coogan

I love this quote.  It's funny because it's true.

Michael Caine's big tip to actors is not to blink. It's been lore since the 80s I think. 

The look Coogan gives the lady in the handwashing segment of TTWAP E1 before saying "we mustn't..." is such a lovely bit of acting that I don't mind Coogan weighing in on the matter.

Tikwid

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 15, 2019, 05:17:18 PM
The look Coogan gives the lady in the handwashing segment of TTWAP E1 before saying "we mustn't..." is such a lovely bit of acting that I don't mind Coogan weighing in on the matter.
Coogan's facial work so far in TTWAP has been nothing short of sublime:

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Coogan's career as a performer has been a collaborative one and he is far more used to performing others material, so it does explain why he is able to do so here.

I agree Gervais probably is too much of an ego maniac and had smoke shot up his arse too often to be able to tell what he's doing is bad or not. Coogan has had such moments fairly early on in his career then wjen he was trying to break into Hollywood.

I vaguely remember an old interview with Lee and Herring where they trashed Marber and made a reference to Coogan being someone they thought would be unable to write a good comedy singlehandedly. I don't think Coogan has ever tried to, but it's clear he works well when bouncing ideas off other people and that's in many ways an equally difficult task as producing it all on your own.

St_Eddie

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 15, 2019, 05:17:18 PM
Michael Caine's big tip to actors is not to blink. It's been lore since the 80s I think. 

Sorry, I may be misreading you here but did you think that I was being disingenuous?  I genuinely like that quote and think that Coogan was correct.

rasta-spouse

Sorry, I may be misreading you here but did you think that I was being disingenuous?  I genuinely like that quote and think that Coogan was correct.

Nope, didn't read into it that way, and apologies if I came across sardonic. I also like Coogan saying that - as a lot of actors are very into the Caine "don't blink" philosophy, they feel it weakens their performance...some don't even know it originates from Caine, hence lore. So Coogan speaking out about it re: Key is way cool.

Of course, I'm only assuming he knows about the Caine's not blinking idea.

St_Eddie

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 15, 2019, 06:04:11 PM
Nope, didn't read into it that way, and apologies if I came across sardonic. I also like Coogan saying that - as a lot of actors are very into the Caine "don't blink" philosophy, they feel it weakens their performance...some don't even know it originates from Caine, hence lore. So Coogan speaking out about it re: Key is way cool.

Of course, I'm only assuming he knows about the Caine's not blinking idea.

Ah, cool.  It's an interesting factoid that the whole 'don't blink' method of acting originated from Michael Caine.

kalowski

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 15, 2019, 06:14:29 PM
Ah, cool.  It's an interesting factoid that the whole 'don't blink' method of acting originated from Michael Caine.
And using a sausage to look like a cigar on screen.

Brundle-Fly

That was a quibble about Roger Moore's portrayal of Bond was that he nearly always blinked when he fires a gun whereas Connery never did.

"I regret that sadly heroes, in general, are depicted with guns in their hands, and to tell the truth I have always hated guns and what they represent."

Good old Rogde!

As you were.

Cuellar

magval

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 15, 2019, 06:41:41 PM
That was a quibble about Roger Moore's portrayal of Bond was that he nearly always blinked when he fires a gun whereas Connery never did.

"I regret that sadly heroes, in general, are depicted with guns in their hands, and to tell the truth I have always hated guns and what they represent."

Good old Rogde!

As you were.

Doesn't Arnold blink quite a bit in T1 when firing, especially noticeable in the night club

notjosh

Samuel L. Jackson is another noted non-blinker.

Tony Tony Tony

Anyone notice a bit of food left on Alan's teeth after eating the sandwich?

Its little touches like this that make obsessive Cabbers lives worthwhile. Maybe a heated debate about whether it was lettuce or cress?

Cuellar

ToneLa

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on March 15, 2019, 10:09:06 PM

Anyone notice a bit of food left on Alan's teeth after eating the sandwich?

I did notice the payoff to the joke yes!

As for your further question. He said egg like a woman's egg. What goes with that?