Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:38:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: ToneLa on March 15, 2019, 11:02:09 PM
I did notice the payoff to the joke yes!

As for your further question. He said egg like a woman's egg. What goes with that?

Then it's cress... The matter is now closed.

ToneLa

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on March 15, 2019, 11:12:01 PM
Then it's cress... The matter is now closed.

Looks a bit big for cress, my awesomely named buddy

Could even be a bit of leek, though leek on seeded bread sounds proper gone

AlexTwist

Did anyone see the Comic Relief sketch?

About 20 minutes into this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00038r1/comic-relief-2019-part-2

An outside broadcast that ended up feeling like IAP.

AlexTwist

Here are the two parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jXrBu4_mN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itRcrm8tlEk

Filmed on the old backlot of Family Affairs and The Bill, if anyone's interested (the backlot is on the same site as the studio used for This Time)

Brundle-Fly

H-O-W-L

Very glad Tim Key's still getting work in the form of Sidekick Simon honestly, he's such a fantastically awkward actor, one of few whose cringe comedy I can always stand.

That Comic Relief sketch was brill too.

kalowski

Quote from: AlexTwist on March 16, 2019, 01:59:08 AM
Here are the two parts:

Filmed on the old backlot of Family Affairs and The Bill, if anyone's interested (the backlot is on the same site as the studio used for This Time)
Lovely. That's what I want to see. "None of the money goes abroad" "I'm sick of the whole gender thing" "I don't have special needs"

BritishHobo

A few people on Twitter were upset by the joke about special needs, and a few about the trans joke. What's funny to me is that the people who are defending him are doing a fucking awful job trying to convince them otherwise. Not that they need to, it's only like five people, it's fine. But all they have to do is say 'it's meant to be a parody of out-of-touch broadcasters', and nobody's managed to do that.

I think there's a misconception for a lot of people - an old housemate of mine had this- that Alan is a character in the same way Keith Lemon is, like we're meant to think he's a real person.

kalowski

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 16, 2019, 08:15:26 AM
A few people on Twitter were upset by the joke about special needs, and a few about the trans joke. What's funny to me is that the people who are defending him are doing a fucking awful job trying to convince them otherwise. Not that they need to, it's only like five people, it's fine. But all they have to do is say 'it's meant to be a parody of out-of-touch broadcasters', and nobody's managed to do that.

I think there's a misconception for a lot of people - an old housemate of mine had this- that Alan is a character in the same way Keith Lemon is, like we're meant to think he's a real person.
Weird. That's the point, really. Partridge is a conservative, and has consistently displayed conservative values. This was perfectly in sync with stuff like when he interviewed the Tory/labour politicians, his hatred of the pedestrianised areas of Norwich and his views on opening the Norfolk Broads to people in wheelchairs. We're not meant to agree with him, just laugh at him.

popcorn

I quite enjoyed Alan spouting some xenophobic/etc stuff in this actually. He doesn't do that so much any more.

Quote from: AlexTwist on March 16, 2019, 01:59:08 AM

It reminds me of the kind of closed fake street environment of a 90s PC game. Duke Nukem 3D.

NoSleep

While Alan is enjoyable in this (plenty of laugh out loud moments) as well as the in-studio cast, I have the same problem with the "guests" as I did with KMKY, inasmuch as they seem shallow in comparison, prime examples being the hacker and the seal documentary woman. I think it's the the script that's at fault here; they're written like cardboard cutouts.

bgmnts

Alan has become more sympathetic with age though, in my opinion.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I did notice the payoff to the joke yes!

Haha

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Incidentally, Alan would be about 65 going from his stated age in IAP, so presumably they aren't bothering to try and keep up with that, instead locking Alan into a permanent middle age. Stephen John Coogan is 53 now so I guess it makes sense. He certainly doesn't look or act 65 in this.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 16, 2019, 12:08:28 PM
Incidentally, Alan would be about 65 going from his stated age in IAP, so presumably they aren't bothering to try and keep up with that, instead locking Alan into a permanent middle age. Stephen John Coogan is 53 now so I guess it makes sense. He certainly doesn't look or act 65 in this.

Yeah, he'd be 64 or 65 if we go by IAP being set in the year it was broadcast ('I'm 43 you cheeky git'!)

I hope they keep aging him tbh, I don't mind too much if they're fast and loose with the odd date but I think when the character has matured in the past it's been for the better and I think older age could open up loads of new possibilities for future iterations. There's also the fact that Coogan despite being 10 years younger than Alan's supposed age, is gonna continue to get and look older himself and they should take advantage of that rather than fight it.

ajsmith2

Quote from: AlexTwist on March 16, 2019, 01:52:32 AM
Did anyone see the Comic Relief sketch?

About 20 minutes into this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00038r1/comic-relief-2019-part-2

An outside broadcast that ended up feeling like IAP.

'David Cameron's big society, I don't know if you remember but 8 years ago..'  then that fall was brilliant.. perhaps a metaphor?

Also note we got more fuel for AP age debates with AP saying he was a scout patrol leader from '68-70'.. wiki sez the scout age range is 10 and a half to 14.. so that tallies perfectly with a 1955 birthdate!

AlexTwist

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 16, 2019, 12:08:28 PM

I think there was a deliberate rejuvenation of Alan for MMM.  They certainly stopped ageing Steve up with latex.

ajsmith2

Yeah he looks so prematurely ancient in both IAPs: it was clearly done to reinforce what a decrepit has been he'd become post KMKY, but it really sticks out in retrospect. Fuck, he's only supposed to be in his early 40s in IAP1 which these days (depending on which end of the age telescope you're looking through of course) seems ridiculously young to be all grey wrinkled and fusty as he's shown in that series.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That's what helped make the first IAP so special, the pathos of this childlike terrified post-failure pre-breakdown Alan still trying to understand everything around him while being an incredibly irritating narrow minded petty individual and being unable to learn from anything.

You see old hair, old clothes but young eyes. Makes a huge difference to each scene.

Thomas

Quote from: ajsmith2 on March 16, 2019, 01:19:35 PM
Yeah he looks so prematurely ancient in both IAPs: it was clearly done to reinforce what a decrepit has been he'd become post KMKY, but it really sticks out in retrospect. Fuck, he's only supposed to be in his early 40s in IAP1 which these days (depending on which end of the age telescope you're looking through of course) seems ridiculously young to be all grey wrinkled and fusty as he's shown in that series.

I wouldn't put it past Alan to have sought a bit of surgical skin tweakage since bouncing back (and to have claimed it as a business expense, like Clunes), perpetually gearing up for a return to television. Bet you he's had a facelift and takes Propecia.

As to his ageing into the future, I wonder if we'll get an Alan death scene to cap his career. Or at least some sort of obit special once Steve Clog pops his coogans. They might have something prepared, like they do for when the Queen dies. Depressing thing to imagine.

Great Comic Relief bit.

Glebe

Quote from: AlexTwist on March 16, 2019, 01:59:08 AMHere are the two parts:

Ooh, not seen the first part, cheers... anyhoo, thought that was pretty funny. Oh yeah, what think ye of this?:

"This Time" is not the best of British TV or Alan Partridge—and it undermines both to claim otherwise.

Only skimmed over that tbh, though have to agree that This Time has been a little underwhelming on the whole so far - although granted, there have been some very funny bits.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Glebe on March 16, 2019, 01:40:07 PMOh yeah, what think ye of this?

I think they're getting paid to fill out a word count. The tl;dr is "it's good but not the best thing ever". Yeah, fair enough. And that the character has such good will that people are wanting to like it. Yes, also fair. You could get a decent discussion out of either, especially the latter with its relevance to Gervais comparisons, but that article might as well be lorem ipsum.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: AlexTwist on March 16, 2019, 01:59:08 AMFilmed on the old backlot of Family Affairs and The Bill, if anyone's interested (the backlot is on the same site as the studio used for This Time)

I am interested, thanks. I thought it looked like that (a backlot, not that specific backlot) but for some reason I didn't think they had backlots like that any more.

Backlot.

BlodwynPig

I preferred it when journalism was retrospective

AlexTwist

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 16, 2019, 01:59:24 PM
I am interested, thanks. I thought it looked like that (a backlot, not that specific backlot) but for some reason I didn't think they had backlots like that any more.

Backlot.

They used to be called Merton Studios, but when Family Affairs and The Bill were axed it was sold on and became Wimbledon Studios.  They retained the outdoor set of Family Affairs and the police station set used in The Bill.

The 'scout hut' is actually the This Time studio.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 15, 2019, 06:14:29 PM
Ah, cool.  It's an interesting factoid that the whole 'don't blink' method of acting originated from Michael Caine.

Not a lot of people know that.

greencalx

The comic relief section was good but the audience reaction was oddly muted.

Bently Sheds

The brief flicker of panic in Alan's eyes when both his knees crack loudly as he squats in front of his school.

Beautiful.