Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:31:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: greencalx on March 17, 2019, 08:19:33 AM
The comic relief section was good but the audience reaction was oddly muted.

They literally muted the studio audience during that segment. You could hear them laughing when it cut back to the studio at the end.

Tony Tony Tony

Something to whet the appetite for episode 4...

"Now more established as the show's co-host, Alan is able to produce the kind of brave, no-nonsense TV other broadcasters can only dream of. Today, he talks police dog bravery and product placement, before meeting his own celebrity lookalike."

Courtesy of the British Comedy Guide

petril

St_Eddie

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on March 17, 2019, 04:20:02 PM
Something to whet the appetite for episode 4...

"Now more established as the show's co-host, Alan is able to produce the kind of brave, no-nonsense TV other broadcasters can only dream of. Today, he talks police dog bravery and product placement, before meeting his own celebrity lookalike."

Courtesy of the British Comedy Guide

Oohhh, this sounds like a good one.  It's interesting to note that Alan's arc for the series would seem to involve him becoming more confident in his role as co-presenter.  I should imagine the conclusion of that arc will see Alan destroying his stint as the co-presenter of This Time, by way of hubris.

It's also interesting to note that one of the things being tackled in episode 4 is product placement.  I think it's fairly likely that reference will be made to Alan's own past transgressions on that front.

Tikwid

Synopsis for episode 5 also up on the Beeb website. Interesting to see that this is the #MeToo episode that was promised - I had honestly wondered if episode 2 was that episode, but that the references to how much it would tackle that topic had been exaggerated (as with the reports of Alan being the "voice of Brexit"). But Alan's own vocal harmony group? Now THAT I'm not quite ready for.

St_Eddie

Quote from: BBC SynopsisAlan's very own mixed vocal harmony group, The Quavers.

Somewhere right now, Mark Lamarr is reading that sentence and salivating.

greencalx

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 17, 2019, 12:35:42 PM
They literally muted the studio audience during that segment. You could hear them laughing when it cut back to the studio at the end.

For the second segment, yes, but the first went back and forth between the studio and the VT, and there didn't seem to be much going on in the studio.

imitationleather

Actual comedy totally dying on it's arse is pretty common at Comic Relief. Look at what the rest of the night comprised of. It's reasonable to conclude that people who can be arsed to go and sit in the studio audience aren't exactly comedy fans.

bgmnts

Just finished episode 3, had to stifle belly laughs quite often.

How has Partridge managed to stay so consistently good for over 20 years?

St_Eddie

Quote from: imitationleather on March 17, 2019, 07:37:12 PM
It's reasonable to conclude that people who can be arsed to go and sit in the studio audience aren't exactly comedy fans.

Well, they do think that wearing a clown's nose and a man sitting in a bathtub filled with baked beans is the height of comedy; so yeah, not exactly a sophisticated sense of humour.

Quote from: bgmnts on March 17, 2019, 07:54:44 PM
How has Partridge managed to stay so consistently good for over 20 years?

Alpha Papa and series 2 of I'm Alan Partridge would suggest that it hasn't.

bgmnts

I think they're both pretty great to be honest but ho hum.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 17, 2019, 08:09:12 PM

Nothing wrong with either.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on March 17, 2019, 08:18:02 PM
I think they're both pretty great to be honest but ho hum.

unlikely allies?!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: imitationleather on March 17, 2019, 07:37:12 PM
Actual comedy totally dying on it's arse is pretty common at Comic Relief. Look at what the rest of the night comprised of. It's reasonable to conclude that people who can be arsed to go and sit in the studio audience aren't exactly comedy fans.

Yes, Comic Relief studio audiences are notoriously bewildered by comedy of any value. Being trapped in that studio for God knows how many hours would test anyone's patience, but they never react well to anything that's a bit odd or 'clever'.

Vic & Bob died a death when they appeared on the show, and the League's Scott of the Antarctic sketch - which isn't one of their best, admittedly - played out to almost complete silence.

The audiences who attended the only good Comic Relief telethons - the first two - were far more in tune with what was going on.

kalowski

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 17, 2019, 08:09:12 PM

This reevaluation of IAP2 is bizarre. It's fucking gold.

Ja'moke

chocky909

greencalx

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 17, 2019, 08:28:17 PM
The audiences who attended the only good Comic Relief telethons - the first two - were far more in tune with what was going on.

Ah that explains it - I think I only ever saw the first one (or maybe two) and had a hazy memory of them being fun, though I was also a lot younger at the time and probably closer to the target audience.

H-O-W-L

Having caught a glimpse of The Kyle Files I can honestly say the Alan mini-docs are only a bit exaggerated from some stuff they'll allow on telly.

Tikwid

Ferris

Quote from: kalowski on March 17, 2019, 08:47:31 PM
This reevaluation of IAP2 is bizarre. It's fucking gold.

Agree. It's very funny and not markedly different in tone than the first season. For every Dante Fireplace awards, there's a Tony Hayers/Jed Maxwell/Jill and chocolate mousse.

It introduced Lynn (and Michael), and expanded on the character outside of being on telly.

I think there's a bit of groupthink revisionism going on here. That, or I'm unwilling to properly evaluate the first Partridge I came across and was slightly obsessed with. I could probably still do the whole script word for word (plus stage directions).

thraxx

Excited.  Literally been about 20 years since there was a programme that comes out once a week on the BBC that you spend all excited for.  It reminds me of Tuesday's as a kid waiting all day for the new Bottom episode.

bgmnts

Quote from: Bryan Cocks on March 18, 2019, 06:48:59 AM
Apologies for the tangent, but why?

I was watching it at around 11:30pm and didnt want to wake anyone up.

madhair60

I'm Alan Partridge 2 is great. Alpha Papa is great. Enough of this. Close the thread. Close CaB.

QDRPHNC

IAP1 is the best thing ever. You will never convince me that IAP2 is anything more than a sporadically funny hot mess.

Thomas

Cursus

Nottingham design firm's technology lets you plaster your house with Alan Partridge wallpaper

QuoteThis new design has been created to celebrate all that is Alan. It's available as a choice of either peel on peel off high quality PhotoTex, or standard pasted wallpaper.

We've already had a request from one Alan fan near Plymouth for 50 rolls, enough to paper the upstairs of a three-bed semi-detached house.