Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:24:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It's interesting to compare this new show to KMKYWAP, as it's essentially the same format - albeit filmed differently, as bobloblaw describes - but you're more on Alan's side than you ever were when he was hosting his own terrible chat show. The character has grown so much since then, we know all about his inner life, his various highs and lows, so you immediately find yourself thinking, "Come on, Alan, don't fuck this up." You're willing him to succeed.

jobotic

Man, this is well exciting. I'm well excited.

Malcy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 05, 2019, 10:47:17 AM
It's interesting to compare this new show to KMKYWAP, as it's essentially the same format - albeit filmed differently, as bobloblaw describes - but you're more on Alan's side than you ever were when he was hosting his own terrible chat show. The character has grown so much since then, we know all about his inner life, his various highs and lows, so you immediately find yourself thinking, "Come on, Alan, don't fuck this up." You're willing him to succeed.

Conversely, I'm incredibly excited to see how he fucks it up for himself this time. The One Show is a safe haven for embarrassing and problematic 80s and 90s celebs. The whole thing is forced and cringe-inducing. There is no bottom. Yet, somehow, Alan is destined to find it.

Twed

So excited for this after hearing you guys's insider previews. Partridge with pathos is about as good as it gets, for me. And this starts on my birthday.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bobloblaw on February 05, 2019, 10:17:40 AM
They've gone for a Larry Sanders style, i.e. staying with the characters after they cut to VT, but with more of the actual show than LS, plus what seems to be one Alan on-location insert per ep.

Slightly disappointed to hear that they're doing the whole behind the curtain thing, Larry Sanders style, but I'm sure that I'll love it regardless.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 04, 2019, 05:41:20 PM
It looks like this will be starting on BBC One on Monday 25th February.

Just noticed it's on BBC One. They're not giving him the One Show slot, are they?

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 05, 2019, 06:50:05 PM
Just noticed it's on BBC One. They're not giving him the One Show slot, are they?

If only. It's probably on around 10pm, though.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: ToneLa on February 05, 2019, 03:10:30 AM
Actually like the Gibbons bros era more than the original era

Getting new writers was the best thing to happen to Partridge, with MMM and the books it feels like we're currently in an AP golden age. Although there's a certain surreal/banal brilliance to IAP 1+2 Baynham, 'Nucci and Schneider were determined to put Alan through as much shame as possible. This intense shame aspect seems missing from MMM, and it's better for it I reckon - total focus on excellent character comedy.

chveik

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 05, 2019, 04:04:39 PM
Slightly disappointed to hear that they're doing the whole behind the curtain thing, Larry Sanders style, but I'm sure that I'll love it regardless.

we'll get to see Lynn and Sidekick Simon that way

magval

Quote from: rasta-spouse on February 05, 2019, 07:42:08 PM
Getting new writers was the best thing to happen to Partridge, with MMM and the books it feels like we're currently in an AP golden age. Although there's a certain surreal/banal brilliance to IAP 1+2 Baynham, 'Nucci and Schneider were determined to put Alan through as much shame as possible. This intense shame aspect seems missing from MMM, and it's better for it I reckon - total focus on excellent character comedy.

David Schneider never wrote for Alan mate.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: magval on February 05, 2019, 08:01:33 PM
David Schneider never wrote for Alan mate.

You're quite right. Got Schneider confused with Coogan on the triumvirate writing credits. I'm going to punish myself by eating an apple too quickly.

Quote from: chveik on February 05, 2019, 08:00:05 PM

You do, and as bobloblaw mentioned earlier, the 'behind the scenes' stuff takes place on the studio floor. They don't actually go backstage a la The Larry Sanders Show.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 05, 2019, 07:06:13 PM
If only. It's probably on around 10pm, though.

Indeed.  Steve Coogan's already confirmed that it will air post-watershed.

Quote from: chveik on February 05, 2019, 08:00:05 PM

Meh.  I don't feel the need to see them pop up in everything Partridge related.  I prefer it when each new incarnation involves an entirely different group of people for Alan to interact with.

chveik

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 05, 2019, 10:48:45 PM
Meh.  I don't feel the need to see them pop up in everything Partridge related.  I prefer it when each new incarnation involves an entirely different group of people for Alan to interact with.

hmm you might be right. I just hope it'll be great!!

Kryton

I had my doubts about this, but you've rekindled my interest. I totally love MMM and Scissored isle etc as much as the older stuff, so I'm happy there's a fine blend.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 05, 2019, 10:48:45 PM

They only pop up briefly in the first episode. In any case, Lynn is an absolutely essential component of Alan's fictional and non-fictional life. Her contributions tell you so much about him.

popcorn

Hope the new Alan Partridge is good!

If it's bad I'll be disappointed.

Hope it's good!

Glebe

godber

I hope Alan does some promotion in character. His appearance on Richard Bacon's radio show is genuinely one of my favourite bits of the Partridge canon!

Utter Shit

Quote from: godber on February 06, 2019, 09:25:00 AM
I hope Alan does some promotion in character. His appearance on Richard Bacon's radio show is genuinely one of my favourite bits of the Partridge canon!

Oh yeah absolutely, I love his stuff about Eamonn Holmes eating a cheeseburger respectfully at a memorial day (?) and the allusions to his and Sonia's sex life which start off vague but get increasingly explicitly, with Richard Bacon clearly loving it while having to push him into a safer area as it's mid-afternoon.

bobloblaw

I'd have thought a plug on The One Show would be a given

Ferris

The Rover Vitesse sections were some of my absolute favourites. Classic Partridge.

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 06, 2019, 11:02:47 AM
Oh yeah absolutely, I love his stuff about Eamonn Holmes eating a cheeseburger respectfully at a memorial day (?)

It was while visiting ground zero on the anniversary of 9/11, wasn't it?

Quote from: bobloblaw on February 06, 2019, 12:38:39 PM
I'd have thought a plug on The One Show would be a given

That might get a bit confusing if Alan is presenting a version of The One Show in a fictional universe in which The One Show presumably doesn't exist? I may be overthinking this.

Thomas

I love that, too - and his appearance on The Jonathon Ross Show. Such a fantastic character, and uniquely embedded into the real showbiz world.

'The thing about wheelchair access is it doesn't distinguish between Davros and Stephen Hawking. Mind you, from 400 yards I'm not sure I could.'

excited 4 this

holyzombiejesus

I'm obviously in the minority here but I don't like his in-character promotions. They're obviously scripted and I find them quite jarring.