Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:18:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikwid

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 26, 2019, 11:44:56 AM
That was my feeling too, but it's important to listen to those with a more detailed or direct knowledge of the issue, sometimes there can be intricacies that those on the outside can't understand and so won't realise are offensive. I don't know what their experience of trans culture is, but if Tikwid has direct experience or knowledge about the subject then it's worth considering that their opinion might hold more weight even if they seem to go against the general consensus.

Feel like I've overcomplicated that point but you know what I mean. We don't want to be the white guys trying to dictate how black people feel about racism.
You're spot on - I'm a trans woman myself, and while I know the gag from yesterday's episode could be read as not being about us on a technical level, it hits all the beats of anti-trans jokes I've witnessed many times before in other shows (the initial reveal that the character supposedly isn't a woman, then the body hair/deep voice reveal, then the sexual undertones at the end). Just something that hits too close to home for me, and something I hope the more laddish sector of Alan's fanbase hasn't latched onto.

Compare Alan's gag about "a stick that identifies as an arrow" from the Comic Relief special. More overtly transphobic (and in a more contemporary way than other past AP gags), but it's transphobic in-universe - all part of that spiel where a frustrated Alan's PC mask falls, an unplanned part of the production that may not have been looked upon favourably by the in-universe BBC. Again, hopefully not the kind of thing where the writers were channeling thoughts they wouldn't politely say otherwise. 

On a lighter note, anyone else think this episode had some brilliant non-Alan face acting? Especially Lynn's bewildered looks during the allergy panic:

poodlefaker

This pic suggests something new next week (don't look if you don't want a potential spoiler): https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/mar/26/is-this-time-alan-partridges-last-aha

Norton Canes

Could you possibly spoiler that..?

[edit: Ta!]

bgmnts

SteveDave

My one big "Hurk!" this week was at his astonishment at "1295" "That's how much these trousers cost!"

BlodwynPig

Quote from: TwinPeaks on March 26, 2019, 02:15:27 AM
I'm gonna miss it too. They'll probably move onto something else won't they? I was assuming Alan would fuck it all up in the last episode but maybe it could just be the background status quo for the next few years - This Time presenter who occasionally does weird vanity projects. Maybe one of them TV shows that you write and star in, like Fleabag or Chewing Gum but it's a man.

Fleabag has become unbearably bad in the last couple of episodes, sadly.

I gave Flowers a go, but that was mirthless.

I blame Olivia Coleman getting popular.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chrispmartha on March 26, 2019, 11:46:34 AM
That's what  I took from it, I don't think 'Pete' was meant to be trans?

He wasn't. Just a shaved boy in a dress and wig. But I bow to Tikwid above in her reading of it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on March 26, 2019, 01:08:42 PM
A few chuckles but nothing extraordinary.

Have you been kidnapped by Moroccan terrorists?

Bryan Cocks

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 26, 2019, 09:20:14 AM
That moment was a particularly jarring example of an editing issue that's been there from the beginning. There are lots of moments where a supposed live camera switch is clearly a hard edit, commonly when Alan gets up from the sofa and Jennie snaps to a slightly different position in the background. Very difficult to avoid, and doesn't ruin anything, but I hope it's something they'd learn to improve if they do another series.

I didn't have a problem with this. These kind of shows often pre-record musical segments and don't do a great job of editing as if it's live. It felt entirely in keeping with the kind of show this is, which is to say intentionally sloppy.

Quote from: Tikwid on March 26, 2019, 12:11:47 PM
it hits all the beats of anti-trans jokes I've witnessed many times before in other shows (the initial reveal that the character supposedly isn't a woman, then the body hair/deep voice reveal, then the sexual undertones at the end). Just something that hits too close to home for me, and something I hope the more laddish sector of Alan's fanbase hasn't latched onto.

I agree with this - "that's merely a shaved boy in a wig" is in keeping with Alan as a character, as is the awkward and slightly fascinated look he gives at the end of that segment, but the deep voice 'gag' was cheap. I think it left a slightly nasty taste because 'Peter' seemed to me to be trans - this wasn't a bloke rushed in at the last minute and given a wig to make up the numbers, and therefore the laughs seemed at greater expense to him. It's a minor criticism of the show as a whole, and perhaps just an unfortunate oversight that worked better on paper.

Thought this episode was very good, but not hitting the heights of previous episodes. Like others said, it didn't progress the arc of Alan's ease into the new role and his relationship with Jenny very much, and I was hoping for more of that. There were fleeting moments of affection but we seem to have taken a step back from the invitation to weekly lasagne a few weeks ago.

Favourite moments for me:

• All of Lynn's appearances ("may I approach?")
  • Simon's "oh god, yeah"
  • Alan's bleeped swearing tirade becoming uncensored just in time to hear "'cking knob"
  • The unreversed version revealing he'd immediately incorporated the ancient swear word he'd only just learnt into his vocabulary
  • Trying to define the library woman's surname as an ancient curse

Didn't think the bloated lips worked and the Roving Reporter is getting tired.

Are we ranking episodes yet? Best to worst...

BlodwynPig

bgmnts

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 26, 2019, 01:30:44 PM
Have you been kidnapped by Moroccan terrorists?

I wish. Just not many belly laughs in this one. The swearing skit was funny. Nice to see Robyn Murdoch again!

andy33

[SOTCAA] There was a pretty obvious continuity gaffe in the Sidekick Simon bit, where they cut back to Tim Key for a reaction shot and the wrong mother-in-law gag was showing on the screen. [/SOTCAA]

BlodwynPig

Quote from: andy33 on March 26, 2019, 02:08:09 PM
[SOTCAA] There was a pretty obvious continuity gaffe in the Sidekick Simon bit, where they cut back to Tim Key for a reaction shot and the wrong mother-in-law gag was showing on the screen. [/SOTCAA]

there were a few continuity errors in that episode but didn't distract too much

Cuellar

Quote from: Bryan Cocks on March 26, 2019, 01:51:11 PM
I didn't have a problem with this. These kind of shows often pre-record musical segments and don't do a great job of editing as if it's live. It felt entirely in keeping with the kind of show this is, which is to say intentionally sloppy.

How can it have been pre-recorded his lips were massive

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The lips would be funny at any time in anything. Given Alan featured in a rather formal vocal group they were even funnier in that context. Beyond realism or even broad comedy to just visual surrealism. Nothing that obviously funny requires naturalistic grounding nor indeed any sort of justification.

popcorn

For some reason I keep wondering what Iannucci thinks of all this.

Bryan Cocks

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 26, 2019, 03:01:48 PM
The lips would be funny at any time in anything.

Diversity of opinion is great, don't you think?

I really love the way Alan says to Simon "you're sweet on her".

Ja'moke

Did anyone notice the Ted Talk woman said it was 2018? Is that because the show was originally meant to air last year? Surprised they didn't overdub that.

Twed

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 26, 2019, 04:34:40 PM
Did anyone notice the Ted Talk woman said it was 2018? Is that because the show was originally meant to air last year? Surprised they didn't overdub that.
Yeah, had the same thoughts as you on that one. That plus the heavy editing make me think the post-production for this was difficult (or that they just took an immense amount of time/care to finish it).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 26, 2019, 04:34:40 PM

yep, noticed that and thought it must have been filmed then. OR SHE IS A NOT VERY BRIGHT LITTLE HONEY PUFF.

Utter Shit

It shows how good this series, and particularly the previous two episodes, has (have?) been that I laughed all the way through last night, then my immediate reaction when it finished was "hmm, that was a bit disappointing". It's set such high standards that even 'very fucking funny indeed' doesn't seem enough. Loads of great moments as always but the receptionist's new smile and 'clantily shad' were the highlights for me. The big lips thing didn't do it for me really - loved the build-up and reveal, but I'm not sure anything was added to the joke after that and it went on a while longer.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 26, 2019, 02:09:38 PM
there were a few continuity errors in that episode but didn't distract too much

The bit with the historian(?) where the document was jumping around the desk was so obvious and so easily fixable I thought it might have been leading to a joke.

I found the allergy bit decreasingly funny. Massive prosthetic lips < Alan presenting whilst conspicuously covering his mouth < off-camera panic about him being allergic < the immediate on-camera fallout with the chef. You can maybe swap the middle two.

Attila

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 26, 2019, 04:52:57 PM
yep, noticed that and thought it must have been filmed then. OR SHE IS A NOT VERY BRIGHT LITTLE HONEY PUFF.

Hey, it's good to see Princess Bee holding down a job so well.

holyzombiejesus

Any predictions for next week? I really hope it doesn't end horribly for Alan but presume it will. I guess the fact that there's a new project about to be filmed for the BBC could mean that it doesn't end too badly although I'm not sure it necessarily means This Time doesn't end disastrously. I genuinely feel quite anxious about it. I remember feeling a bit sick and down after KYKYule ended on such a grim note and even though it doesn't really fit with the necessary arc, I want things to end/ continue well for him.

mjwilson

Quote from: gout_pony on March 25, 2019, 10:09:03 PM
Also, did anyone get the joke in which Jenny said she could ask for a ride with a member of Alan's choir and Alan made a face and told her he'd tell her about it later?

The member of the choir who restores old cars is known as a bit of a sex pest (presumably).

Ornlu

Quote from: Attila on March 26, 2019, 05:55:47 PM
Hey, it's good to see Princess Bee holding down a job so well.

Finally remembered what I know her from. Erik's identically-dressed girlfriend off House of Fools!

PeasOnSticks

Enjoyed that. The last two episodes have been better than the first three. It's still over-egged a little (the MeToo interview, Alan's 'reaction faces' to Sidekick Simon, and the lips, of course), but they've been playing to the gallery a bit all series and I've sort of adapted to it now. And there were good laughs in this one.

Found the opening sequence nicely Day Today-ish. Also liked the callback to the 'nice action' at Tandy's many moons ago. And Simon's 'oh god, yeah.' And the attempt to define Couchman. And 'Vile. Jenny.'  Best Lynn interaction of the series, too.

And a special mention for the good puerile fun of 'spunk up an opening' and 'worn out by the 600 members inside her' (it's Alan's expression after saying the latter that makes it).

PS I love the idea of Alan and co. spending a whole weekend in a church hall to 'develop' their 'performance piece.'