Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:42:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It's as gag-packed as everything else the Gibbons have written for Alan, it shares the same careful attention to detail too, but I do understand why people might have reservations about the inclusion of Lynn and Sidekick Simon. As I say, I think they're used quite cleverly in the first episode.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 06, 2019, 09:28:36 PM
While I agree with you that Lynn doesn't need to be in every AP project, I think her presence provides some telling insight into Alan's private life and insecurities. You're right, she may well play a more significant role in future episodes, but I hope they use her sparingly. The same goes for Sidekick Simon. Having only seen episode one, their inclusion definitely doesn't feel like shoe-horned fan service to me. Their brief scenes are funny and help to flesh out our understanding of Alan's state of mind during this particular stage in his life and career.

Possibly, yes. I guess it's quite bold of the BBC to broadcast a blatant piss-take of The One Show, but they obviously don't want to make a song and dance about it.

definitely shades of Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid in the dynamic between the two presenters too - this was mentioned by cast in on-stage interview post-screening

I can't be annoyed that they kept shoehorning Michael in, simply because of the amazing pay off in Nomad.

Ferris

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 07, 2019, 11:48:34 AM
I can't be annoyed that they kept shoehorning Michael in, simply because of the amazing pay off in Nomad.

**Spoilers for Nomad**

Actually wait a second, does this mean Michael didn't die?! Jack-a-nack-a-nory!

ToneLa

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 07, 2019, 11:48:34 AM

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 07, 2019, 03:13:58 PM
**Spoilers for Nomad**

Actually wait a second, does this mean Michael didn't die?! Jack-a-nack-a-nory!

No, it doesn't unfortunately. Although he may still be alive as the Police called the search off after a couple of hours.

Ferris

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 07, 2019, 03:23:08 PM
No, it doesn't unfortunately. Although he may still be alive as the Police called the search off after a couple of hours.

Was hoping he survived and was watching that fleet of pedaloes in the Solent. I choose to believe he is doing that.

Norton Canes

Really not sure whether to put this here or in the 'Oft-forgotten gems' thread. It's an anecdote from this week's Popbitch mailout...

QuoteA few months ago, we told you about the time Steve Coogan – upon getting his first taste of success – tried to impress Zoe Ball by laying out a bunch of cash on his hotel bed and telling her "That... is £2,000!"

Seems this sort of patter comes very naturally to him. When Steve bought his first Ferrari, he showed it off to a friend by telling him: "It's worth its weight in cunt."

And on that bombshell

petril

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 07, 2019, 03:54:31 PM
Really not sure whether to put this here or in the 'Oft-forgotten gems' thread. It's an anecdote from this week's Popbitch mailout...

A few months ago, we told you about the time Steve Coogan – upon getting his first taste of success – tried to impress Zoe Ball by laying out a bunch of cash on his hotel bed and telling her "That... is £2,000!"

Seems this sort of patter comes very naturally to him. When Steve bought his first Ferrari, he showed it off to a friend by telling him: "It's worth its weight in cunt."

And on that bombshell

picturing his excuse as "I'm was being bawdy Lynne, enjoy it."

gilbertharding

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 07, 2019, 03:54:31 PM

And on that bombshell

"A wank, I think!"

Thomas

QuoteWhen Steve bought his first Ferrari, he showed it off to a friend by telling him: "It's worth its weight in cunt."

'I didn't know you weighed as much as a Ferrari.'

Kidding! Love yer, Coogz.

Sebastian Cobb

I heard he did a prostitute on a bed of money but the money was all fivers.

I believe that friend was Simon Munnery, btw. I'm sure I heard him mention it on RHLSP or something.

ToneLa

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 08, 2019, 12:02:30 AM
I heard he did a prostitute on a bed of money but the money was all fivers.

They kick off when it's coins, some go missing and it takes them ages to get them out again.

Norton Canes

The floor manager calls "20 seconds" but it's 34 seconds before he even counts from five

Sloppy

Cuellar

Cuellar

Rob Gibbons tweeted that trailer...might use this as an opportunity to ask about the Denton Abbey/Simon Denton connection. I must have an answer.

olliebean

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 08, 2019, 11:18:07 AM
The floor manager calls "20 seconds" but it's 34 seconds before he even counts from five

Sloppy

Well, that's that ruined, then.

Norton Canes

On the positive side, I am pleased to be able to report that "Can I have some water please, my mouth is dry" has already become a Partridge catchphrase here in my office.

Twed

That looks great. YouTube comments are depressing.

rasta-spouse

Quite jarring to see Alan in such a glossy HD context.

popcorn

The joke about "saw the odd episode" "it's a radio show" is a bit weird because it had a webcast.

petril

Quote from: popcorn on February 08, 2019, 04:27:46 PM
The joke about "saw the odd episode" "it's a radio show" is a bit weird because it had a webcast.

yeah, but it's Alan responding. he'd be really desperate to correct someone. get his microvictory

kalowski

Twed

It just makes me want to scream about Alan Partridge being more than catchphrases. It's such a beautiful thing and they reduce it to this.

ToneLa

Quote from: Twed on February 08, 2019, 07:23:51 PM
It just makes me want to scream about Alan Partridge being more than catchphrases. It's such a beautiful thing and they reduce it to this.

I know what you mean. Only idiots would do that, I'm saying, with my eyes

Twed

Well, that doesn't count because it's quite witty and not just a dumb catchphrase. Quoting Alan can be great, but those YouTube comments make me imagine working in an office full of... office men.

ToneLa

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Twed on February 08, 2019, 07:23:51 PM

It's just folk with a total and utter lack of imagination, the sort of people who post the same old GIFs on social media in lieu of having an original humourous thought.

Yes, I know there's a thread on this very forum devoted to quotes from the Partridgeverse, but the point of that thread is to remind people of lovely bits and pieces they may have forgotten. It's not just a bunch of boring idiots posting "JACKANACKANORY" and "KISS MY FACE". I find it difficult to imagine "these people" actually enjoying the Alan character on anything more than a purely superficial level.

I am, of course, fully aware of how comedy snobbish that all sounds, but this is CaB, so fuck it.