Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:14:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

Quote from: Kryton on February 12, 2018, 10:39:45 PM
I never get the hate for Edmonds here. I'm quite naive though. Besides some vague talk of allegedly maiming and killing(?) a few guests, what has he done wrong? Besides you know Mr Blobby and his mad (too) fluffy beard and hair and dress sense. And his odd obsession with positive/negative energy. And his truly alienating, otherworldly quirks...

What gives?

I can't talk for anyone else, but I find him quite a fascinating little man. He's obviously an accomplished talent in presenting, particularly live television, but I also find there's something quite unpleasant about him. He seems to take himself extraordinarily seriously, which has only intensified in more recent years, as he's become almost messianic, whether that's about the State Of The Country, or his own little tangents like his obsession with Lloyds Bank or all that positivity guff he was peddling a while back.

I think it's the juxtaposition between the light entertainment tat which is his career, and the solemnity with which he conducts himself. It's weird and odd.

BlodwynPig

If you were in his position, I guarantee you'd be the same.

phantom_power

At some point Edmonds turned into the opposite of himself. During my childhood he seemed like the most affable, fun person on television. At some point in the 90s that changed and now I find him just annoying and smug and unlikable despite what he might be saying or doing

Yussef Dent

Quote from: phantom_power on February 13, 2018, 10:21:54 AM
At some point Edmonds turned into the opposite of himself. During my childhood he seemed like the most affable, fun person on television. At some point in the 90s that changed and now I find him just annoying and smug and unlikable despite what he might be saying or doing

Probably when he went on that rant at the end of the last ever Noel's House Party was the tipping point.

phantom_power

I think that is a symptom rather than a cause though

Straight Faced Customer

There was a great Edmonds story on here last year about Noel confronting someone he thought was a trespasser, gun in hand, then sitting down with the fellow to share a joint Edmonds had rolled up earlier.

Anyway, happy Partridge is back, Sidekick Simon in tow. Even happier about it after finding out recently that Mr. Key once tried it on with m'lady, haha

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on February 13, 2018, 10:21:54 AM

There's lots of people and shows which I loved to watch as a child but would now find to be irritating and obnoxious.  With that in mind, have you considered the possibility that you simply grew up and in tandem, your tastes evolved and changed?

As much as some people might have fond memories of Noel Edmonds' House Party and Mr. Blobby, based around nostalgia.  I'm fairly certain that, were they to see that nonsense for the first time today, as an adult, they'd be, at best; disinterested and at worst; thoroughly annoyed and seething with anger, by the antics on screen.

You may as well send a query to Unsolved Mysteries, as to why Gordon the Gopher inexplicably became an annoying, bleating little twerp, at the exact same time that you transitioned to adolescence.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It all depends on how old you are and when you first set sail upon the endless TV voyage of Edmonds. I was born in 1974, so I have fond memories of Noel as the affable, laid-back host of Swap Shop. He made the no doubt bloody stressful task of hosting a Saturday morning kid's show look effortless.

It's not a case of the memory cheating either - there are several clips of him hosting that show on YouTube, and he still comes across as a sort of genial young uncle figure. There's nothing weird or creepy about him.

Yes, he comes across as an insufferable wally on old episodes of TOTP, where he repeatedly tries and fails to be funny, but that only reinforces my view that Swap Shop brought out the best in him. He seemed happy hosting that show.

Noel's madness and egomania didn't really take hold until after that halcyon stage in his career. 

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 13, 2018, 08:28:25 PM
It all depends on how old you are and when you first set sail upon the endless TV voyage of Edmonds. I was born in 1974, so I have fond memories of Noel as the affable, laid-back host of Swap Shop. He made the no doubt bloody stressful task of hosting a Saturday morning kid's show look effortless.

It's not a case of the memory cheating either - there are several clips of him hosting that show on YouTube, and he still comes across as a sort of genial young uncle figure. There's nothing weird or creepy about him.

Yes, he comes across as an insufferable wally on old episodes of TOTP, where he repeatedly tries and fails to be funny, but that only reinforces my view that Swap Shop brought out the best in him. He seemed happy hosting that show.

Noel's madness and egomania didn't really take hold until after that halcyon stage in his career.

This could well be the case, as I was merely postulating a theory.  I can't claim to be a connoisseur when it comes to the evolution of Noel Edmonds' ego and mental processes, sadly.  Truly, he is an unknowable imp.

Danger Man

Noel, like it or not, is the next Bruce Forsyth.

Dr Rock

It's true he was ideal for Swap Shop and seemed a decent, fun person then, doing a tough job and he made it look easy. He was better at it than any of those that followed the saturday morning kids show slot (until the whole thing was axed). Trevor and Simon excluded, they were in a different league, but weren't presenters. It was indeed sometime after Swap Shop that edmunds personality changed, and now he's bonkers.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 14, 2018, 12:56:37 AM
It was indeed sometime after Swap Shop that edmunds personality changed, and now he's bonkers.

Conversely, Mr. Blobby is now a level-headed and pragmatic being, working within the field of accountancy.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Read this in an article I can't trace now: before Edmonds was a TV personality (occasional TOTP hosting aside), but massive on the radio, a fellow DJ made it known that said Tidybeard did not have a record collection at home. Might have been Peel, but I have a feeling it was Tony Blackburn, unhappy after Noel replaced him as host of the R1 breakfast show. (Blackburn for all his cheesy faults, was a connoisseur and collector of soul music.) I guess that's from a time when a famous DJ who wasn't particularly into music was an odd exception.

popcorn

Am I right in thinking that Noel had a sort of wilderness period before that bank show I can't remember the name of with the boxes? Perhaps it was called Bank Attack! or Open That Box! or something. Before his comeback with Bank Attack! did he have anything going on? I last recall him in House Party before that and that was thousands of years prior.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on February 14, 2018, 01:39:29 AM
Am I right in thinking that Noel had a sort of wilderness period before that bank show I can't remember the name of with the boxes? Perhaps it was called Bank Attack! or Open That Box! or something...

Cheap, Cheap, Cheap (yes, I had to look that up).  I think that was the nadir of Edmonds' career.  So far, at least...

Nadir of Edmonds' Career.  It sounds like a B-Side from a Syd Barrett record.

popcorn

The American version of Bounce that Check was good because each box was held by glamorous model. This had the effect of giving each box a personality. You could decide to root for different boxes based on which one you fancied most.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Oops! Wrong Planet on February 14, 2018, 01:23:00 AM
Read this in an article I can't trace now: before Edmonds was a TV personality (occasional TOTP hosting aside), but massive on the radio, a fellow DJ made it known that said Tidybeard did not have a record collection at home. Might have been Peel, but I have a feeling it was Tony Blackburn, unhappy after Noel replaced him as host of the R1 breakfast show. (Blackburn for all his cheesy faults, was a connoisseur and collector of soul music.) I guess that's from a time when a famous DJ who wasn't particularly into music was an odd exception.

It was DLT who didn't own a record collection, much to Peel's understandable amazement. Edmonds may have an entire mansion full of rare and cherished records for all I know, but I can't recall him ever expressing any musical love or knowledge (unlike Blackburn, as you say).

mrfridge

Stop talking about Noel Edmonds you shit houses. I keep on dropping into this thread expecting solid gold Partridge nuggets but it's all "Edmonds, Edmonds, Edmonds". Take that nonsense elsewhere and give me Alan!

So do we think Lynn's going to be in this? Will there be backstage bits in a Larry Sanders stylee or is it straight up chat?

I'm pretty sure they won't bother with celebrity guests. Alan dealing with real people rarely works (see the TFI Friday debacle) and I'm sure the Gibbons brothers are aware of that fact. Whatever I'm officially excited. I mean this is essentially Knowing Me Knowing You part deux isn't it?... But with 20 odd years of backstory added on along with sidekick Simon.

popcorn

Do you think Noel Edmonds is going to be in it?

St_Eddie

Quote from: mrfridge on February 14, 2018, 09:39:35 AM
Stop talking about Noel Edmonds you shit houses. I keep on dropping into this thread expecting solid gold Partridge nuggets but it's all "Edmonds, Edmonds, Edmonds".

For someone who is sick of hearing about Edmonds, you sure do like to say his name an awful lot.

Quote from: mrfridge on February 14, 2018, 09:39:35 AMWill there be backstage bits in a Larry Sanders stylee or is it straight up chat?

A Larry Sanders approach would be very interesting but personally, I'm hoping that it's directly based around the One Show format.  Basically; Alan and co, chatting to a guest; followed by a cutaway segment, where Alan visits different areas of the UK and discusses mundane topics, as though they were heavy hitting issues; followed by more chat and finishing on a "bombshell".  So basically...

Quote from: mrfridge on February 14, 2018, 09:39:35 AM...Knowing Me Knowing You part deux... But with 20 odd years of backstory added on along with sidekick Simon.

magval

Aye, I've always enjoyed the chances to just see Alan from the perspective of our world - Knowing Me, On the Hour and The Day Today, North Norfolk Nights and the parts of Mid Morning Matters when he's presenting between songs. I like seeing the backstage stuff too, but it's been a while since we've had the purity of just watching Alan trying badly to do TV properly.

I like to think being on the BBC will keep him in line, too, rather than the obvious creative control he has in the context of his Sky documentaries.

BeardFaceMan

I'd love to see the likes of Front or Marber return as characters on the show, not sure how that would be a giant step backward. It's not as if the people he worked with from that era were hopeless chancers, apart from Marber they've all been pretty steadily employed in comedy so they've still got the chops. Be nice to see them onscreen together again, it's not like they all had a big falling out, they've just worked on different stuff. Working with them again would hardly be a nostalgia trip.

St_Eddie

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 14, 2018, 10:36:33 AM
I'd love to see the likes of Front or Marber return as characters on the show, not sure how that would be a giant step backward. It's not as if the people he worked with from that era were hopeless chancers, apart from Marber they've all been pretty steadily employed in comedy so they've still got the chops. Be nice to see them onscreen together again, it's not like they all had a big falling out, they've just worked on different stuff. Working with them again would hardly be a nostalgia trip.

Yes, I agree.  The old crew, along with Julia Davis and some entirely fresh talent would be a nice mix, I think.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 14, 2018, 08:29:07 AM
It was DLT who didn't own a record collection, much to Peel's understandable amazement. Edmonds may have an entire mansion full of rare and cherished records for all I know, but I can't recall him ever expressing any musical love or knowledge (unlike Blackburn, as you say).

Cheers. Could have sworn it was Noel, but my memory's vague and you're probably right.
Or maybe I'm thinking of Bruno Brookes, which is why he jealously tried to make off with Bob Harris's collection.

Pete Murray is 92.

Oh yeah, Partridge. I don't think any one of Marber, Front, Mackichan or Schneider would necessarily seem wrong if they turned up, as long as it wasn't a wholesale reunion. John Thomson was fine in Scissored Isle. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Bill Oddie appeared as himself.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Oops! Wrong Planet on February 14, 2018, 11:27:25 AM
...I wouldn't be surprised if Bill Oddie appeared as himself.

I would sooner he appear in Bill Oddie's Top Ten Otters, where he belongs.

petril

SteK

My son was taught by Edmonds' cousin, unsurprisingly called 'Miss Edmonds' at Elmvale Primary School, Annan, Dumfriesshire.  Later married a Mr Chipchase and became Mrs Chipchase. First name Julie actually (not Mr Chipchase's, think he was called Gavin). Lived on Hecklegirth.

QDRPHNC

I know there's a lot of love for KMKY on here, and I can see why, but looking back over the Partridge cannon, I consider it one of the weaker entries - packed with funny stuff, but also broad, camp (unintentionally so), and you never really believe any of the guests. Much prefer the more naturalistic MMM, it's far more nuanced.

St_Eddie

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 14, 2018, 01:45:42 PM
Much prefer the more naturalistic MMM, it's far more nuanced.

That it is but personally, I prefer Knowing Me, Knowing You because I find it far funnier than Mid-Morning Matters and also, more comforting to watch, for want of a better turn of phrase.

Quote from: SteK on February 14, 2018, 01:26:09 PM
My son was taught by Edmonds' cousin, unsurprisingly called 'Miss Edmonds' at Elmvale Primary School, Annan, Dumfriesshire.  Later married a Mr Chipchase and became Mrs Chipchase. First name Julie actually (not Mr Chipchase's, think he was called Gavin). Lived on Hecklegirth.

Gavin Chipchase; that sounds like every drunk person who's ordered from a kebab shop, on a Friday night, ever.

"S'll 'ave a gavn 'n' chipchaaase, pleashe."

Twed

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 14, 2018, 01:45:42 PM
I know there's a lot of love for KMKY on here, and I can see why, but looking back over the Partridge cannon, I consider it one of the weaker entries - packed with funny stuff, but also broad, camp (unintentionally so), and you never really believe any of the guests. Much prefer the more naturalistic MMM, it's far more nuanced.
Agreed, Patridge has evolved so much since then. I think people expecting another KMKY are going to be disappointed. There's no going back to that.