Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:12:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: Twed on February 08, 2019, 07:33:44 PM
Well, that doesn't count because it's quite witty and not just a dumb catchphrase. Quoting Alan can be great, but those YouTube comments make me imagine working in an office full of... office men.
Of course. Because every other comment is 'Back of the net' or "Jack a nack a nory" and not a single "they wanted a better ethnic mix and I was the fall guy"

Twed

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 08, 2019, 07:38:06 PM
It's just folk with a total and utter lack of imagination, the sort of people who post the same old GIFs on social media in lieu of having an original humourous thought.

Yes, I know there's a thread on this very forum devoted to quotes from the Partridgeverse, but the point of that thread is to remind people of lovely bits and pieces they may have forgotten. It's not just a bunch of boring idiots posting "JACKANACKANORY" and "KISS MY FACE". I find it difficult to imagine "these people" actually enjoying the Alan character on anything more than a purely superficial level.

I am, of course, fully aware of how comedy snobbish that all sounds, but this is CaB, so fuck it.
That's basically it, I resent their stupid inferior brains.

I do actually mean that.

Ja'moke

I was pleasantly surprised to overhear a group of young-ish lads on a train the other week quoting Partridge and they didn't go for the obvious "Back of the net! / Jurassic Park!" lines. I remember one of them doing a pretty good: "You know what this room says to me? Aqua. Which is French for water."

Twed

Scary to think that line was aired a long time before they were born.

kalowski

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 08, 2019, 07:49:57 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to overhear a group of young-ish lads on a train the other week quoting Partridge and they didn't go for the obvious "Back of the net! / Jurassic Park!" lines. I remember one of them doing a pretty good: "You know what this room says to me? Aqua. Which is French for water."
It's like being inside an enormous Fox's Glacier Mint, which again, to me, is a bonus.

That's how you do it.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Twed on February 08, 2019, 08:03:43 PM
Scary to think that line was aired a long time before they were born.

Yeah. This group must have been between 18-21. So maybe not a long time before, but definitely before they were born.

popcorn

I'm only 13 and everyone else in my school likes Mrs Browns Boys. I wish I was alive when I'm Alan Partridge new was on TV. This is real comedy TV from when comedy was actually was intelligent

Twed

It's scary in a "it's incredible that something that still seems modern can be from before when adults were born" way, and it's clearly excellent that an entirely new generation are into this comedy from before they were born.

VelourSpirit

Here's something weird

this video is unlisted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3rTbjdnV_k
this one isn't https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t39E5xMD5I

But the one that hasn't been unlisted has this weird effect on it, don't know what to call it but it looks really odd. Anyone else notice it? reminds me of how the Doctor Who series 11 trailer had this really offputting scanline effect on it. This is even worse though. Not saying it's intentional but it's weird they delisted the good one.

Phil_A

Quote from: TwinPeaks on February 09, 2019, 09:42:13 AM
Here's something weird

But the one that hasn't been unlisted has this weird effect on it, don't know what to call it but it looks really odd. Anyone else notice it? reminds me of how the Doctor Who series 11 trailer had this really offputting scanline effect on it. This is even worse though. Not saying it's intentional but it's weird they delisted the good one.

That happens when the video hasn't been de-interlaced correctly, if it's done properly the scanlines should be blended together.

Tikwid

Here's something weird

Technicals-wise I honestly prefer the listed trailer, not because of the interlacing but because of the framerate - it's a bit higher than the other one, which I feel gives it that actual live TV verisimilitude, and hopefully that'll be the case in the full series. The listed trailer also cuts out a bit later than the other one, though I suppose the ultimate pacing of the dry mouth gag will be determined by the rest of that scene in the broadcast episode.

Something I noticed in both trailers, though - Jennie Gresham's remembrance of Mid-Morning Matters at 0:19 is delivered with a completely closed mouth. Maybe she was a ventriloquist before boarding the BBC gravy train?

Mango Chimes

Here's something weird

I didn't understand what you were on about there at first, but it looks like the weird interlacing mess is specific to the 1080p stream. The unlisted one is slightly shorter, with us getting an extra final "my mouth is dry" in the the live one, so that's probably the reason they reuploaded with the encoding thing an error.

EDIT: Snap.

Norton Canes

The best bit of that trailer is his tiny glance at the co-presenter's backside followed by the equally minuscule one he gives to see if anyone noticed.

kalowski

Quote from: Tikwid on February 09, 2019, 10:37:08 AM
Technicals-wise I honestly prefer the listed trailer, not because of the interlacing but because of the framerate - it's a bit higher than the other one, which I feel gives it that actual live TV verisimilitude, and hopefully that'll be the case in the full series. The listed trailer also cuts out a bit later than the other one, though I suppose the ultimate pacing of the dry mouth gag will be determined by the rest of that scene in the broadcast episode.

Something I noticed in both trailers, though - Jennie Gresham's remembrance of Mid-Morning Matters at 0:19 is delivered with a completely closed mouth. Maybe she was a ventriloquist before boarding the BBC gravy train?
I thought that, but it's not her speaking. It's the make up woman with the blonde hair.

garnish

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 09, 2019, 11:28:48 AM
The best bit of that trailer is his tiny glance at the co-presenter's backside followed by the equally minuscule one he gives to see if anyone noticed.

That's very well spotted.  I'm not sure who the actress is but she seems very good in that short amount of time.

popcorn

Quote from: kalowski on February 09, 2019, 01:53:17 PM
I thought that, but it's not her speaking. It's the make up woman with the blonde hair.

I thought the same thing initially. TBH I think it's a bit of bad editing. Creates a confusing impression.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I discovered today that the Gibbons actually co-directed this series. I reckon they do a damn fine job. I always enjoying seeing 'live television going wrong' done well in a fictional setting, it's quite hard to do convincingly, but they pull it off.

rasta-spouse

How did the Coogan/Gibbons collaboration come about? Looking at the Gibbons' imdb they've got 2DTV on their credits.

jake thunder

I think they submitted a script to Baby Cow and then Coogan asked them to write material for his (frankly mediocre) 2008ish tour.

wooders1978

Quote from: garnish on February 09, 2019, 02:40:43 PM
That's very well spotted.  I'm not sure who the actress is but she seems very good in that short amount of time.

Agreed, very well spotted and a cracking bit of partridging from coogan

Mango Chimes

I want to watch this now. I can't keep rewatching him saying his mouth is dry.

popcorn

Thicko question. Is there an airdate announced for this yet? Just read several recent articles but they all just say "early 2019". I thought it was mentioned in this thread but I can't find it. Have I gone bananas?

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on February 12, 2019, 03:09:50 AM
Thicko question. Is there an airdate announced for this yet? Just read several recent articles but they all just say "early 2019". I thought it was mentioned in this thread but I can't find it. Have I gone bananas?

I was going to ask this earlier but didn't want to look like a big thicko like popcorn does now.

ToneLa

Monday 25th innit? Press preview fella upthread said it but I'll gladly take the glory

Bennett Brauer

Yeah, it was Ballad of Ballard Berkeley who said that but not confirmed officially. Today's Radio Times might have a teaser for the next edition.

imitationleather

I personally am pleased to hear that Sidekick Simon is in this. Anything that helps to keep Tim Key in suits is fine by me.

Ooh I am very excited. If this is rubbish I'm going to go and shoot up Television Centre. Yes I know it's posh flats now, that'll just make my mass killing all the sweeter.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: imitationleather on February 12, 2019, 07:33:45 AM
If this is rubbish I'm going to go and shoot up Television Centre. Yes I know it's posh flats now, that'll just make my mass killing all the sweeter.

You go careful there now my love. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/steve-coogan-has-snapped-up-a-home-in-the-bbcs-former-hq-in-west-london-television-centre-j5fpxkc83

QDRPHNC

On Cinema Oscar Special on the 24th and this on the 25th.

"Lovely stuff."

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 08, 2019, 07:49:57 PM

I introduced one of the young lads at work to Partridge after they were on about some crap anecdote thing they'd heard on the radio in the lavs, so I sent them the 'Makita Drill' funny story.