Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:09:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewman

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 09, 2019, 03:17:30 AM
So, come on then; those who purchased the DVD, what's this 'test shoot' special feature all about?  Inquiring minds need to know whether to order a copy or just stick with our illegally downloaded rips.

Whatever it is it doesn't look very extensive. Not sure its worth the price tag for 6 minutes of extra footage :/

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/tv-season/this-time-with-alan-partridge/id1453150742

holyzombiejesus

I wonder if the Gibbons brothers stating that the 2nd series is 'being put in a drawer for now' could be a reference to the drawing of Michael on Alan's ipad?

Mr Banlon

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 09, 2019, 03:17:30 AM
So, come on then; those who purchased the DVD, what's this 'test shoot' special feature all about?  Inquiring minds need to know whether to order a copy or just stick with our illegally downloaded rips.

It's an early attempt at recording a kind of studio scene for the format, perhaps as a kind of tester.  More basic scenery, that kind of thing, a bit like the unbroadcast 15 minute pilot segment for KMKYWAP included on the DVD for that.

Twed

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on April 09, 2019, 04:51:29 PM
It's an early attempt at recording a kind of studio scene for the format, perhaps as a kind of tester.  More basic scenery, that kind of thing, a bit like the unbroadcast 15 minute pilot segment for KMKYWAP included on the DVD for that.
Oh, it's not in-universe?

Quote from: Twed on April 09, 2019, 04:52:47 PM
Oh, it's not in-universe?

It's basically the bit where the two of them start introducing the first show with him on.  The set's different, a bit more basic, and Coogan's possibly wearing a different wig, which looks a bit auburn.

There's also a clean-shaven Simon Denton, with a small prop, like a signpost with labels, standing in for his interactive board.

Twed

I thought it would be a test shoot for This Time, in the fictional world of the show. Alan's test shoot, not Coogan's.

shiftwork2

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 09, 2019, 04:37:08 PM
I wonder if the Gibbons brothers stating that the 2nd series is 'being put in a drawer for now' could be a reference to the drawing of Michael on Alan's ipad?

Yeah I was thinking the same.

kalowski

Not in a million years.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Lewman on April 09, 2019, 09:27:04 AM
Whatever it is it doesn't look very extensive. Not sure its worth the price tag for 6 minutes of extra footage :/

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on April 09, 2019, 04:51:29 PM

Oh.  I don't think that I can justify paying for the DVD, just for that measly special feature.

Cuellar

No etc reference etc to Pete Best album Best of etc etc

notjosh

Madeley on GMB this morning has overdone his fake tan and also described Andi Peters as "a ray of sunshine"

phantom_power

I would have thought it would be more likely a reference to Alan's drawer of secrets in IAP Series 1

holyzombiejesus

I wonder whether that drawer contained his secret lyrics and cover art for his folk project? He'd visited the petrol station and commented on their array of snacks during that series so maybe it inspired him to write about sandwiches. Surely a nod to his request for a sandwich from Michael also.

Captain Z

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 10, 2019, 12:42:17 PM
Surely a nod to his request for a sandwich from Michael also.

"That's not a sandwich, it's just warm floppy bread that's hotter than the sun"

Classic line.

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: notjosh on April 10, 2019, 09:50:08 AM
Madeley on GMB this morning has overdone his fake tan and also described Andi Peters as "a ray of sunshine"

Lovely stuff.

Does anyone compile this madness so I don't have to watch terrible morning tv?

Cuellar

Someone, maybe joe.co.uk or whatever it is, did a good highlight reel of when Madeley met some squatters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo2JBVv6T5E

I refuse to believe it isn't a deliberate homage to Partridge.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Captain Z on April 10, 2019, 12:49:23 PM
"That's not a sandwich, it's just warm floppy bread that's hotter than the sun"

Classic line.

"I'd like a sausage in a mug with a side clump of beans please, you fucking coward." Love it.

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: Cuellar on April 10, 2019, 04:35:25 PM
Someone, maybe joe.co.uk or whatever it is, did a good highlight reel of when Madeley met some squatters...

Haha, brilliant. That was like a brand new condensed Partridge show. The man is a treasure!

St_Eddie

Could some lovely, wonderful person please rip and upload the 6 minute special feature from the This Time DVD online?  Pretty please, with sugar on top?

Utter Shit

Is there a good reason why there would be so few extras? Not really a complaint, just a bit baffled as surely it's the easiest thing in the world to knock together a blooper reel and a handful of scenes that didn't make the edit.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Utter Shit on April 10, 2019, 07:20:30 PM
Is there a good reason why there would be so few extras?

BBC releases tend to be a bit shit. Have previous Baby Cow ones had many extras?

Captain Z

Quote from: Utter Shit on April 10, 2019, 07:20:30 PM
Is there a good reason why there would be so few extras? Not really a complaint, just a bit baffled as surely it's the easiest thing in the world to knock together a blooper reel and a handful of scenes that didn't make the edit.

Straight away you'd have all the inserts that were showing on the TV in the background while we stayed in the studio (I'd especially liked to have seen Alan's introductory VT), plus a compilation of all the tweets, photos and graphics on Simon's TV. I guess it's more the issue that after 3 hours of episodes there's little room left on a disc, so it would have to run to a double disc thus driving up the cost.

magval

It also costs more money and I don't think they count on most people caring about that any more, which is a shame as I love DVD extras (commentary tracks especially), same as you lot.

Rolf Lundgren

This is a huge missed opportunity. There's loads of people willing to devour any Partridge material and pay good money for it but we're thrown a crumb in the shape of a 6 minute feature. At least they didn't have the nerve to add "Interactive Menu" as an extra.

St_Eddie

Quote from: magval on April 10, 2019, 10:59:53 PM
It also costs more money and I don't think they count on most people caring about that any more, which is a shame as I love DVD extras (commentary tracks especially), same as you lot.

Yes, this.  It costs money to submit special features to the BBFC.  Given the dwindling sales of physical media, companies are not inclined to pay those extra costs.  At the same time, the lack of special features encourages people to not pay for physical media.  It's a self-perpetuating cycle that is sure to kill the format off.

Quote from: Cuellar on April 10, 2019, 04:35:25 PM

Here's another compilation from various studio sections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?=77&v=wcreshuhfR4

notjosh

Quote from: Captain Z on April 10, 2019, 10:13:43 PM
Straight away you'd have all the inserts that were showing on the TV in the background while we stayed in the studio (I'd especially liked to have seen Alan's introductory VT)

Back in the good old days there would have been the option to watch the whole episode as it went out on TV (in universe), and a multi-angle feature would have allowed you to pointlessly switch between the two versions.

Cuellar

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on April 11, 2019, 07:14:14 AM
Here's another compilation from various studio sections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?=77&v=wcreshuhfR4

Beautiful.

The intonation on this is 100% Alan: https://youtu.be/wcreshuhfR4?t=38

"Once I saw her, in a restaurant"

Twit 2

Fuck me, you're right, that's uncanny.

The look up at the roof at the end with the co-presenter's rictus grin as well...was this the inspiration for the shuttlecock bit? Or are Coogan and the Gibbons inhabiting the character to such Stanislavskian levels that they are arriving, by pure synchronicity, at the the exact same mad impulses as the likes of a Madeley?

Here's another one btw:

https://youtu.be/ZoFeXnsZ8UA