Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,191
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:45:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autopsy Turvey

Balderdash, everyone wears underwear. He's just trying to be wacky.

Brundle-Fly

There are two clips of Madeley on This Morning I would pay good money to see again.

1) Richard wearing an 'Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat' and dancing on his own in front of a load of kids singing Any Dream Will Do. It goes on much longer than he thought and you can see he starts to get really self-conscious by the end.

2) A phone in about embarrassing ailments to Dr Chris. A man calls in to discuss what appears to be colitis but the phone line breaks down. On air, Richard asks for the phone number of the caller on his earpiece and then demands somebody from production hand him a mobile. We then enjoy Richard loudly relaying the conversation to Dr Chris (rather than just handing him the mobile). He asks what the symptoms are and he explains to the doc, "He says...what's that? It's a bad line, Keith...He says he's got an itchy anus...and?...it smells...there is blood....Chris is asking if there is any discharge....I said discharge. etc"  Judy melts. Again.

c

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 11, 2019, 10:59:49 AM
Fuck me, you're right, that's uncanny.

The look up at the roof at the end with the co-presenter's rictus grin as well...was this the inspiration for the shuttlecock bit? Or are Coogan and the Gibbons inhabiting the character to such Stanislavskian levels that they are arriving, by pure synchronicity, at the the exact same mad impulses as the likes of a Madeley?

Here's another one btw:

https://youtu.be/ZoFeXnsZ8UA

Right I know we don't agree on much around here but surely we can agree that Madeley was DEFINITELY a part of the research that Coogan and the Two Gibbons carried out for the show?

lipsink

I remember around 2005/6 Madeley doing a bit on his afternoon show about assisted suicide and posing a 'hypothetical' question that went something like this:

"So, what's the difference then between me taking a gun and shooting my wife Judy in the head and locking her in a room until she starves to death?"

Ferris

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 11, 2019, 12:44:40 PM
There are two clips of Madeley on This Morning I would pay good money to see again.

1) Richard wearing an 'Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat' and dancing on his own in front of a load of kids singing Any Dream Will Do. It goes on much longer than he thought and you can see he starts to get really self-conscious by the end.

2) A phone in about embarrassing ailments to Dr Chris. A man calls in to discuss what appears to be colitis but the phone line breaks down. On air, Richard asks for the phone number of the caller on his earpiece and then demands somebody from production hand him a mobile. We then enjoy Richard loudly relaying the conversation to Dr Chris (rather than just handing him the mobile). He asks what the symptoms are and he explains to the doc, "He says...what's that? It's a bad line, Keith...He says he's got an itchy anus...and?...it smells...there is blood....Chris is asking if there is any discharge....I said discharge. etc"  Judy melts. Again.

These are surely fictional.

Chollis

Quote from: lipsink on April 11, 2019, 01:08:16 PM
I remember around 2005/6 Madeley doing a bit on his afternoon show about assisted suicide and posing a 'hypothetical' question that went something like this:

"So, what's the difference then between me taking a gun and shooting my wife Judy in the head and locking her in a room until she starves to death?"

We're definitely making these up now

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: c on April 11, 2019, 01:04:41 PM

Right I know we don't agree on much around here but surely we can agree that Madeley was DEFINITELY a part of the research that Coogan and the Two Gibbons carried out for the show?

Madeley was a touchstone for Partridge from the earliest days, i'm sure Coogan names him in his interview on the first episode of the Mrs Merton Show.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 11, 2019, 01:08:17 PM
These are surely fictional.

Definitely happened, more or less how I describe it. Bear in mind, this is a man who said on a morning magazine show, "Is it becoz I is black?". I know he was doing an Ali G take off but it would be similar for him to do a dragged up impression of Mrs Slocombe on daytime tv and saying," My pussy got soaking wet, Judy. I had to dry it out in front of the fire before I left,"  Context.

Ferris

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 11, 2019, 02:51:35 PM
Definitely happened, more or less how I describe it. Bear in mind, this is a man who said on a morning magazine show, "Is it becoz I is black?". I know he was doing an Ali G take off but it would be similar for him to do a dragged up impression of Mrs Slocombe on daytime tv and saying," My pussy got soaking wet, Judy. I had to dry it out in front of the fire before I left,"  Context.

Until I see footage, I refuse to believe it. I'd consider that broad and unrealistic for Partridge, let alone an actual broadcaster.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 11, 2019, 03:05:39 PM
Until I see footage, I refuse to believe it. I'd consider that broad and unrealistic for Partridge, let alone an actual broadcaster.

Well, good luck with that. There were thirteen years of This Morning under their tenure. I've worked out that is approximately three thousand editions they hosted to wade through.

Dr Sanchez

What is Judy up to these days?

I heard she's living in a caravan next to Richard's house.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on April 11, 2019, 02:41:49 PM
Madeley was a touchstone for Partridge from the earliest days, i'm sure Coogan names him in his interview on the first episode of the Mrs Merton Show.

I think there's a bit of Tony Bastable in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUG3O5imCGU

Zetetic

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 11, 2019, 01:01:52 AM
Yes, this.  It costs money to submit special features to the BBFC.  Given the dwindling sales of physical media, companies are not inclined to pay those extra costs. 
A 30 minute special feature would cost about £300 to get certificated, I believe. Not sure that's the major driver.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Zetetic on April 11, 2019, 08:06:57 PM
A 30 minute special feature would cost about £300 to get certificated, I believe. Not sure that's the major driver.

That's true enough but each individual special feature requires its own submission fee and those costs quickly add up.  Having said that, I don't think that it's the BBFC submission fee alone which is dissuading companies from putting special features on their discs.  That's just one factor.  The other main factor would likely be the cost of producing the special features themselves (which would likely at least require an editor).

Whatever the reason, it's a great shame.  There's a reason that pretty much the only DVD/Blu-Rays that I purchase these days are Arrow releases.

Bazooka

I remember DVD's having a slideshow feature, just stills from the film in case you can't remember the moving image.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bazooka on April 11, 2019, 09:17:39 PM
I remember DVD's having a slideshow feature, just stills from the film in case you can't remember the moving image.

Ah, yes.  Those were bloody awful and almost certainly only included so that they could have something listed under 'special features' on the back of the DVD case (other than 'subtitles for the hard of hearing' and 'scene selection'), to dupe unsuspecting customers into impulse purchasing it.

shiftwork2

Has any DVD featured a menu as good as the Linton Travel Tavern one for IAP1?  I know that sounds crass but it added to the feel of the series.  The Geoff Love orchestra on the music channel, the CCTV feed featuring the abandoned traffic cone.  A great idea executed very well.

Malcy

A lot of shows put extras up on YouTube & Twitter instead of DVD/Blu-Ray releases these days. I'm sure if the BBC was pestered enough they'd stick a couple of bits and bobs up.

magval

At 103 pages, is this our longest thread about a single iteration of a TV series?

St_Eddie

Quote from: shiftwork2 on April 11, 2019, 10:23:56 PM
Has any DVD featured a menu as good as the Linton Travel Tavern one for IAP1?

The DVD menu for IAP2.

Bazooka

Quote from: magval on April 11, 2019, 11:56:01 PM
At 103 pages, is this our longest thread about a single iteration of a TV series?

I believe The Alan Titchmarsh Show is still winning by four pages.

Rewatching the last episode, and referring back to what someone said about Alan being a lot more confident when being arrested than he was when confronted by the police in IAP 1, I suppose that can be accounted for by the different circumstances.  In IAP he knows he's been involved with something illegal that he could get into trouble for, whereas the fact that here he gets released without any charges suggests that he was right all along that they wouldn't be able to pin anything on him.  Hence he feels that he can afford to get cocky with them about it.

Twed

What is it with people's need to fret over character inconsistencies that makes them need to believe that people will act the same way every single time they are arrested, even if it's at 20 year intervals?

Not any fretting on my part, I just remembered the comments when rewatching it and thought there was a good enough reason internal to it that could count if anyone was bothered.

Twed

I meant the people you were talking about who pointed out the difference. I don't know if that's even anybody who posts here. Just seems so odd.

kalowski

Quote from: Twed on April 12, 2019, 07:27:41 AM
I meant the people you were talking about who pointed out the difference. I don't know if that's even anybody who posts here. Just seems so odd.
Well that was me. And I was trying to highlight how poor the new series of AP was, through an example: the writers choose AP to be cocky and confident, and the result is not funny at all. When he was nervous and scared, it was a much funnier scenes.
And in terms of consistency, I'm surprised Alan had such little respect for the police in that recent scene.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: kalowski on April 12, 2019, 08:50:40 AM
Well that was me. And I was trying to highlight how poor the new series of AP was, through an example: the writers choose AP to be cocky and confident, and the result is not funny at all. When he was nervous and scared, it was a much funnier scenes.
And in terms of consistency, I'm surprised Alan had such little respect for the police in that recent scene.

His arrogance with the police in TTWAP is probably because he's on tv again. It's a hubris he didn't possess when he was on his uppers in IAP1 with his first run-in with the law

Anyway, it's just mixing up Partridge a tiny bit to keep him interesting, as most writers do with long-serving heightened characters. ie: Dame Edna or Homer Simpson or Hancock to a certain extent. It's a different show. What's the point of writing another scenario with Alan being nervous with the police again? What if he was cockier this time? Can we get new laughs out of that?  Did his experiences with CID in Alpha Papa come into play? Is he a silly fictional character?

NoSleep

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 12, 2019, 09:42:11 AM
His arrogance with the police in TTWAP is probably because he's on tv again. It's a hubris he didn't possess when he was on his uppers in IAP1 with his first run-in with the law.

Surely his first run-in with the law would have been killing a guest in KMKY?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: NoSleep on April 12, 2019, 09:48:28 AM
Surely his first run-in with the law would have been killing a guest in KMKY?

I suppose, I meant 'on screen' run in with the law. Alan's first brush with the rozzers was in 1969 when he was caught scrumping raspberries on the grounds of All Hallows Convent in Ditchington.

poodlefaker

More  Madeley, the early Shaking Stephens interview is echt Partridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpjxfQDHnyo