Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:20:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Alistair MacGowan's masterful impersonation of Richard Madeley was his crowning achievement. Where on earth do you start to mimic somebody with no discernible vocal tics or catchphrases such as he? He said the key that unlocked the impression was that Madeley is always on the defence.

These are very This Time-ish.

Terrible video quality on the first clip.

The original sketch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQp1M3asMQo

The comeback
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXug2XX12W8

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 12, 2019, 10:11:01 AM
Alistair MacGowan's masterful impersonation of Richard Madeley was his crowning achievement. Where on earth do you start to mimic somebody with no discernible vocal tics or catchphrases such as he? He said the key that unlocked the impression was that Madeley is always on the defence.

These are very This Time-ish.

Terrible video quality on the first clip.

The original sketch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQp1M3asMQo

The comeback
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXug2XX12W8

Great stuff. McGowan nailed him with fiendish accuracy. His attention to detail with impressions was always impressive.

The fact Jon Culshaw became bigger than McGowan is criminal really.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 12, 2019, 02:48:44 PM

The fact Jon Culshaw became bigger than McGowan is criminal really.

Not so sure about that, They were level-pegging with success at the time of Big Impression and Dead Ringers. However, the more serious McGowan wanted to pursue acting beyond the impressions whereas Culshaw seemed quite happy sticking with what he knows. McGowan did have his own detective show Mayo for one series but it didn't take off. Shame. He was chillingly excellent as Savile in that bio-play a few years back, it has to be said. Recently, when not appearing on The One Show, he seems to have returned to live comedy. I believe he's a successful dialect coach too. He's done alright.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

McGowan's Madeley impersonation is uncanny. It's not a broad pastiche of the man, it actually captures his exact mannerisms.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 12, 2019, 10:11:01 AM
He said the key that unlocked the impression was that Madeley is always on the defence.

That had never occurred to me before, but it makes so much sense when you watch AM's performance. Richard, for all of his surface-level confidence, actually suffers from an acute case of nervous verbal diarrhoea a la Partridge. He can waffle on with apparent ease, but really he's frantically floundering. He can't stop talking, his mind is racing. He always wants to come across as someone who knows exactly what he's talking about, someone who shoots from the hip and tells it like it is, and to hell with the embarrassing consequences.

A fascinating character. 

notjosh

This is a pure Partridge situation - can totally imagine it happening on KMKY or TT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruIp-cNxawM

"It's a visual metaphor"

The Lion King

Quote from: poodlefaker on April 12, 2019, 09:57:49 AM
More  Madeley, the early Shaking Stephens interview is echt Partridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpjxfQDHnyo

Incredible, could easily be an unseen segment from KMKY. Years later shakin apologises for his antics by way of a glowing book review

Quote from: notjosh on April 12, 2019, 09:31:05 PM
"It's a visual metaphor"

Richard's little grunts and hmm noises are absolute Partridge. One worries that Coogan actually does live in that sterile, lonely flat from The Trip, his entire life reduced to obsessively watching endless hours of Madeley on YouTube.

Still, his loss is comedy's gain.

AlexTwist

Quote from: notjosh on April 10, 2019, 09:50:08 AM
Madeley on GMB this morning has overdone his fake tan

The story's even more Partridge than that.  He accidentally applied developing fake tan which progressively got more and more orange as the show went on.

c

Quote from: AlexTwist on April 18, 2019, 12:26:05 AM
The story's even more Partridge than that.  He accidentally applied developing fake tan which progressively got more and more orange as the show went on.

This is at least 18 times funnier than those fucking lips

Edmonds

Quote from: poodlefaker on April 12, 2019, 09:57:49 AM
More Madeley, the early Shaking Stephens interview is echt Partridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpjxfQDHnyo

That's hilarious. Everything about that is Partridge.

Uncle TechTip

I think we underestimate Madeley. He knows what he's up to and he knows he's an inspiration for Partridge. Amazing that they are still both on telly contemporaneously after 25 years, both feeding off each other for inanity.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 20, 2019, 02:39:04 PM
I think we underestimate Madeley. He knows what he's up to and he knows he's an inspiration for Partridge. Amazing that they are still both on telly contemporaneously after 25 years, both feeding off each other for inanity.

QDRPHNC

Swallow: The Oroboros File would be an excellent title for Partridge's first foray into fiction.

Ferris

I see the DVD extras have turned up on dailymotion, according to the good people at https://www.reddit.com/r/AlanPartridge/

I won't link here directly but they're out there.

græskar

Only just watched the last episode. I think this series was amazing, an astonishing feat of writing and performance. Yes, there were some slighly disappointing things, bits that went on for too long, but I think this intermittent sense of disappointment is mainly due to our extremely high expectations of Coogan et al. We've been spoilt by consistently great work from them and, as someone mentioned upthread, "very fucking funny" sometimes doesn't cut it for us when Partridge is concerned. But I think it's important to take a step back and appreciate how consistently fantastic this character is. Due to be rewatched and quoted for years to come, surely.

Ferris

I'd love to do a rewatch now that the dust has settled

jsgibble

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 04, 2019, 08:27:18 PM
I'd love to do a rewatch now that the dust has settled

Good idea, though I enjoyed it a lot the first time round when everyone was talking about it and pointing things out, it was nice watching it again when there's not so much attention on it. Every week you seemed to have an equal amount of people saying it was the best or worst episode so far, so it's nice to just enjoy it and not really worry about that

c

I'm surely not the first Cabber to have seen this pilot thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJXtrbky_Js

Apologies if it's been posted before

PS, just occurred to me that this is probably the DVD extra and I'm an idiot

St_Eddie

Quote from: c on May 08, 2019, 10:16:27 PM
I'm surely not the first Cabber to have seen this pilot thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJXtrbky_Js

It is a DVD extra and yes, it has been mentioned before.  However, I do not care to purchase a copy of the DVD and was seeking a digital copy of said extra.  Therefore, much like Deckard, you've done a man's job, Sir.  Thank you.

jsgibble

Dr Sanchez

I think I prefer the smaller studio used in the pilot.

Coogan looks genuinely nervous in it and his wig is terrible.

olliebean

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on May 10, 2019, 01:52:20 AM
I think I prefer the smaller studio used in the pilot.

Yes, it's a better atmosphere and it means when the crew laugh they don't sound like they're laughing at something else in a different room.

Quote from: c on May 08, 2019, 10:16:27 PM

Thanks for sharing that. Filmed in the actual One Show studio, apparently.

Came across these two posts on Digital Spy's Showbiz Forum's Nice and Not Very Nice Celebrities thread.

Quote from: scribbelle;c-93476876Got a few customers of fame that frequent my shop. Alison Moyet, Nick Cave and when you serve them they seem really pleasant, however, I've not as yet acknowledged their fame and don't know how they'd react. Similarly Cate Blanchett once had a transaction declined (seriously!) and I was on customer service and she accompanied the checkout supervisor with the trolley of shopping to me who said I've saved this transaction, can you recall it when the customer returns, then turned round and asked her "what's your name please" OMG...Kate she said..so he wrote Kate on the receipt with a K....she was totally non plussed, smiled, came back, paid and was totally pleasant! Steve Coogan on the other hand...right old misery guts, though not personally spoken with him, though one funny incident, he was choosing a loaf of bread to buy, when my colleague innocently called "Alan" to attract the attention of another member of staff called Alan, because he had a customer waiting, he hadn't seen him by the bread. Steve said "For god's sake audibly and walked off in a huff!" Hilarious!

You can just imagine this happening to Alan, and him saying 'so just because I'm on TV, I can't shop in peace! This country!'

This post in response to the last was revealing.

Quote from: TracerTong;c-93476999
I've heard a few times that Coogan is pretty close to Alan Partridge personality wise in real life, this is probably why the character is so well played by him. He's just being himself!

It's no secret that Coogan can be quite grumpy and socially awkward, he's quite open about that. Speaking as a grumpy and socially awkward person myself, I'm sure he's a good lad really. A bit like Alan sometimes, but nicer.

magval

When was Alan nicest?

It'll surely be something from when the Gibbons were writing.

Quote from: magval on May 10, 2019, 06:28:10 PM
When was Alan nicest?

It'll surely be something from when the Gibbons were writing.

In This Time, when he sort of said something nice to Lynn after hearing she'd received the all clear? That was only because he felt guilty about forgetting she might've been ill - with cancer, presumably - but it shows he has a conscience at least.

I'm struggling to think of any other examples, although I suppose he does feel quite sad about Michael's disappearance.

holyzombiejesus

He wasn't particularly unpleasant in the pre-KMKY stuff was he? He was far nastier in Alpha Papa and MMM.

I said before, he shows a rare glimpse of a tender side when helping one of the turtle doves down from the ceiling in KMKYule.