Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:39:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrfridge

I had a quick google and couldn't find the John Thomson interview but I did find this tiny review of their Edinburgh show from 1992 which mentions Coogan performing as Partridge.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/edinburgh-festival-day-2-reviews-steve-coogan-in-character-with-john-thomson-1541047.html

On the hour started in 91 so Partridge had existed for a year at the time of the Edinburgh show in 92, but I had no idea he was ever performed live until The Man Who Thinks He's It tour in 98. It would be fascinating to see this early live incarnation of the character. Presumably he wasn't performed on the Live and Lewd tour a couple of years later (he's certainly not featured on the video). I guess they were in the early stages of prepping KMKY around the time of that tour so maybe they wanted to save the good stuff for the show? Who knows?!

cliggg

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on May 13, 2019, 07:20:25 PM
I think there was an interview with him in the i newspaper recently where he said that.
Cheers!

cliggg

I found that John Thomson interview. He is probably referring to the historical documentary and not a second series but it's a bit vague anyway.

Thomson played various characters in Knowing Me, Knowing You... with Alan Partridge, as well as appearing in other Coogan projects, but he wasn't involved in BBC1's recent This Time with Alan Partridge. "I was supposed to do it but I had a kidney stone removed just when I was due to make it", he says. "I think they've been commissioned for another so hopefully I'll turn up in that one."

https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/john-thompson-cold-feet-only-attenborough-makes-me-want-to-pay-the-bbc-licence-fee/

royce coolidge

Quote from: cliggg on May 13, 2019, 08:20:03 AM
Where did you read this? I tried to find it but with no success. Thanks.

Sorry mate just seen this,yes it was in the I paper.
Yes it could mean the history doc,i took it as a second series.

MattD

Quote from: cliggg on May 14, 2019, 07:07:28 PM
I found that John Thomson interview. He is probably referring to the historical documentary and not a second series but it's a bit vague anyway.

Thomson played various characters in Knowing Me, Knowing You... with Alan Partridge, as well as appearing in other Coogan projects, but he wasn't involved in BBC1's recent This Time with Alan Partridge. "I was supposed to do it but I had a kidney stone removed just when I was due to make it", he says. "I think they've been commissioned for another so hopefully I'll turn up in that one."

https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/john-thompson-cold-feet-only-attenborough-makes-me-want-to-pay-the-bbc-licence-fee/

He's a good comic actor is John Thomson. Shame he didn't make an appearance, as opposed to somebody like Liam Williams who was shoehorned in and is, let's be fair, an awful comic actor.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Rewatched Scissored Isle with my partner last night.

Both agree it is a better piece of work than This Time on every conceivable level.

The hits come thick and fast, it has that balletic comic timing, each laugh feeding off the last that all the very best comedies have and which This Time's structure and format continually held back.

Bennett Brauer

Yes, it's difficult to find fault with Scissored Isle at all. Hopefully the upcoming project will be a return to that style.

I haven't commented on This Time in this thread yet, so anything I say now will be old hat, but I agree the format was too sporadic. The major fault for me was that the look of the studio was completely wrong, which never stopped jarring. Strange when the studio sets for KMKYWAP and MMM were so spot-on.

neveragain

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on May 16, 2019, 01:10:18 PM
Yes, it's difficult to find fault with Scissored Isle at all.

I think both this and the first one (Places Of My Life) have one section that's dull and brings each show down a bit. In the first it's the test-driving section in the car... and I can't remember what it was in Scissored but there was definitely one less-good moment.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: neveragain on May 16, 2019, 06:51:35 PM
I think both this and the first one (Places Of My Life) have one section that's dull and brings each show down a bit. In the first it's the test-driving section in the car... and I can't remember what it was in Scissored but there was definitely one less-good moment.

Places of My Life runs out of steam when he goes for a walk in the forest. Picks up a bit when he goes skiing.

The bit where he interviews the woman about her debt and then goes after the debt guy is a bit of a clunker.

mrpupkin

I liked the debt interview.

"I want to say sludge?"

Ornlu

Quote from: mrpupkin on May 16, 2019, 07:14:18 PM
"I want to say sludge?"

I specifically chuckle whenever Alan unthinkingly drops a bit of parlance - the 'upspeak', in this case - that's unabashedly millennial/'youth'-associated.

kalowski

MMM us in now (Sky Atlantic) and it is clearly streets ahead if This Time.

"I've never been more - ambivalent - about a car"

Tikwid

Quote from: Ornlu on May 16, 2019, 08:29:20 PM
I specifically chuckle whenever Alan unthinkingly drops a bit of parlance - the 'upspeak', in this case - that's unabashedly millennial/'youth'-associated.
"I didn't think it was possible to make a 9AM meeting...almost beautiful?"/"I don't think that's the right word Jennie?"

Ferris

Quote from: kalowski on May 16, 2019, 09:30:32 PM
MMM is on now (Sky Atlantic) and it is clearly streets ahead if This Time.

"I've never been more - ambivalent - about a car"

That whole section is excellent. It's a bit on-the-nose for Partridge after his BBC/rover vitesse snafu, but answering the phone to a producer (?) and saying the character in his play "happens to drive a Range Rover" is great, especially the little look when he realizes what dialogue is coming up.

"How much did it cost?"

"Less than you might think: you can drive one of these off the forecourt for less tha-MOOOOOO!"

Anyone watch s2 last night.  Very funny I thought.

neveragain