Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:06:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Oliver

Pissing myself at the trailer. God. The way he says dry is amazing. Such a pleading request that he's having to bite down on. And is that a reference to "Not I" at the beginning?

Howj Begg

Tripping excitement balls.
Have The One Show had him on promoting this, or will they?

jake thunder

I hope they don't recycle any material for this.
Scissored Isle had one instance of this. "Beats buying them!". Was sickened by that.

Twed

It doesn't destroy the illusion of the character too much for me. People do have their little catchphrases, beliefs that they repeat, etc.

Quote from: jake thunder on February 13, 2019, 03:31:01 PM
I hope they don't recycle any material for this.
Scissored Isle had one instance of this. "Beats buying them!". Was sickened by that.

Conversely, I thought it was just Alan saying a go-to line he uses when trying to ingratiate himself with the aristocracy.

The Lion King

there have been many instances of Alan doing that nervous / awkward gulp  but I like that as a character trait (makes sense as your throat gets dry when nervous)

petril

hope they do a bit where he names an album that isn't even by the Beatles

Lost Oliver

I hope he says back of the net again. I liked that bit when he said back of the net.

Tikwid

Quote from: The Lion King on February 13, 2019, 03:41:43 PM
there have been many instances of Alan doing that nervous / awkward gulp  but I like that as a character trait (makes sense as your throat gets dry when nervous)
"......this is Terry Jacks, SeasgHGKsons in the Sun....."

St_Eddie

Quote from: Lost Oliver on February 13, 2019, 04:40:16 PM
I hope he says back of the net again. I liked that bit when he said back of the net.

DAN DAN DAN DAAAAANNNNNNNN

Malcy

Bennett Brauer

Interesting that the Den of Geek piece strongly suggests a return for Michael.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on February 15, 2019, 01:08:49 AM
Interesting that the Den of Geek piece strongly suggests a return for Michael.

Bloody hell, that review is a blow by blow synopsis of the first episode. Avoid like the plague, it sucks all the fun out of watching it.

Utter Shit

Following on from what Ballad's just said, the embargo has been lifted now so avoid articles/podcasts etc if you don't want to know anything. I started listening to the Monkey Tennis podcast knowing that they wouldn't give away anything major, but even the minor details they mentioned felt like they were spoiling the surprise a bit, so I bailed after ten minutes or so.

ToneLa

Good advice! Hope this thread doesn't get spoilery either!

Sgt. Duckie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 15, 2019, 05:40:07 AM
Bloody hell, that review is a blow by blow synopsis of the first episode. Avoid like the plague, it sucks all the fun out of watching it.

Nearly ploughed in. Avoided. Merci BoBb

Twed

Writing this post to cement in my mind that I have to not come back to this thread until after the 25th.

Yep, my posts are write-only now. I don't care about wasting any of yous timeses.

ToneLa

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/feb/17/steve-coogan-alan-partridge-back-bbc-love-hate-relationship

Good article not spoilery!

QuoteWhen he found the brothers, originally from Cheshire, now settled with young families in Manchester and London, he struck gold. Several times he heaps praise on them for the new layers they have found in the character. "I remember it was like a little epiphany when I went through the material because I was clutching round Armando, Pete and Patrick, thinking: 'Which of you three will help me do something with this character?' Not any fault of theirs, but Patrick and Pete clearly wanted to get out from under the weight of this big, heavy albatross and go away and do their own thing. It's a kind of millstone of sorts." You can really, deeply love someone, but want them to go on holiday once in a while. Give you your space back.

"There was no one around to help me write Alan. I was sort of left holding the baby." It quickly became obvious that the brothers weren't just going to satisfactorily adopt the house style; they'd bring Alan a whole new complexity. "They aren't just keepers of the gate," Coogan says. "They have moved the character on, undoubtedly, and made it more sophisticated."

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: ToneLa on February 17, 2019, 05:40:19 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/feb/17/steve-coogan-alan-partridge-back-bbc-love-hate-relationship

Good article not spoilery!

Enjoying this article but I couldn't help imagining this bit being said by Partridge himself (maybe that was the intention):

QuoteNeil and Rob Gibbons. Twins, but physically unalike, they are brown-haired thirtysomething men in T-shirts and trainers.

Pseudopath

Anyone linked to this BBC press release-cum-spoof interview yet? There are some belting lines in there:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2019/this-time-with-alan-partridge

Mobius

Quote from: Pseudopath on February 18, 2019, 10:36:37 PM
Anyone linked to this BBC press release-cum-spoof interview yet? There are some belting lines in there:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2019/this-time-with-alan-partridge

It's incredible how funny Alan (well I assume the Gibbonses) is in word format really.

Ferris

Quote from: Mobius on February 19, 2019, 12:11:14 AM
It's incredible how funny Alan (well I assume the Gibbonses) is in word format really.

I think you need to have watched and awful lot of him (or at least be familiar with his oeuvre), because then you are able to give each of the lines the correct (imagined) delivery.

Mango Chimes

Yeah, it's a tribute to Coogan and the Gibbonseses that Alan's now got such a distinctive voice, you can hear every inflection and imagine his expressions when reading that. The first answer is brilliant for that - I can't imagine how it would read to someone not familiar with the character.

Ferris

Quote from: Mango Chimes on February 19, 2019, 01:47:55 AM
Yeah, it's a tribute to Coogan and the Gibbonseses that Alan's now got such a distinctive voice, you can hear every inflection and imagine his expressions when reading that. The first answer is brilliant for that - I can't imagine how it would read to someone not familiar with the character.

Not only that, but you can imagine him giving these lines in his professional "best behaviour" voice (a la interview with Tony Hayers), rather than a more informal delivery such as with Sidekick Simon, or bellowed at Lynn down a wireless headset.

It's amazing characterization.

mrpupkin

Alan absent-mindedly detailing the illness of the host he's filling in for was done on MMM wasn't it? Not a criticism, just saying. Can't begrudge them recycling a joke in a fake press release that hardly anyone will read.

Quote from: mrpupkin on February 19, 2019, 10:02:54 AM
Alan absent-mindedly detailing the illness of the host he's filling in for was done on MMM wasn't it? Not a criticism, just saying. Can't begrudge them recycling a joke in a fake press release that hardly anyone will read.

Slightly different setup too. The Eddie Shepherd thing was him being incredibly tired and accidentally blurting stuff out, whereas he seems somewhat gleeful that John Baskell is ill.

Also, he's on the front of this week's Radio Times:

Glorious.