Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:21:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 19, 2019, 11:28:33 AM
Also, he's on the front of this week's Radio Times:

Glorious.

Quite. What's with the tooth badge?

ToneLa

Featuring Steve Coogan as Saul Goodman
And the bloke who played Mike playing Mike

Malcy

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 19, 2019, 11:48:18 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/feb/17/steve-coogan-alan-partridge-back-bbc-love-hate-relationship

QuoteI ask him what his lapel badge means. It's a small, white tooth; a molar, with a cartoon face drawn on it. It represents a shadowy showbiz organisation not unlike the Freemasons that "looks after" its members while doing philanthropic works. It may never get a mention in the script, he says

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 19, 2019, 11:48:18 AM

QuoteI ask him what his lapel badge means. It's a small, white tooth; a molar, with a cartoon face drawn on it. It represents a shadowy showbiz organisation not unlike the Freemasons that "looks after" its members while doing philanthropic works. It may never get a mention in the script, he says. But it's all been worked out and is authentic to the character.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/feb/17/steve-coogan-alan-partridge-back-bbc-love-hate-relationship

Crabwalk

Coogan is finally the absolute perfect age to play Partridge. They can now grow old together.

The hair is spot on in that image too. That is Alan's hair.

Norton Canes

popcorn

QuoteI ask him what his lapel badge means. It's a small, white tooth; a molar, with a cartoon face drawn on it. It represents a shadowy showbiz organisation not unlike the Freemasons that "looks after" its members while doing philanthropic works. It may never get a mention in the script, he says. But it's all been worked out and is authentic to the character.

I think that sounds fucking weird frankly.

holyzombiejesus

I really liked this from the Guardian piece.

QuoteCoogan says they had some lively discussions about who Partridge now aligns himself with. Who has he heard talking about the big issues and agreed with lately? Coogan warms to this. "There is a quote in episode two where he says there is evidence that lower wages increase productivity." He goes on, more Partridge now than Coogan: "As Kirstie Allsopp says: 'A well-fed dog is a lazy dog.' The thing is, Allsopp never said that at all, but we have fun with things like that."

ToneLa

I do love when and how real-world personalities are integrated into Partridge

Quote from: ToneLa on February 19, 2019, 03:04:56 PM
I do love when and how real-world personalities are integrated into Partridge

"I once spent an afternoon at the Earls Court Boat Show with Dale Winton and Noel Edmonds. He's not gay, but you get the picture."

Ferris

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 19, 2019, 11:28:33 AM
Slightly different setup too. The Eddie Shepherd thing was him being incredibly tired and accidentally blurting stuff out, whereas he seems somewhat gleeful that John Baskell is ill.

Eddie Shadow Shepherd is accidental, the subtext I got was that Baskell was a TV rival who challenged for the same work so Alan was enjoying the fact that he was getting one over on him.

The "joke" with the bitter subtext is a Partridge specialty - the conversation about the diff lock with the car salesman (played by a Gibbons brother!) was a prime example of the genre.

BlodwynPig

Ever since he took that Ecstasy tablet (?), his character has too much "yoof" language. It's distracting and dumbs him down.

kalowski

Well, the Radio Times is making a very big claim here:
QuoteIf you've never seen Steve Coogan's comic creation before, sit back and enjoy The One Show parody. But if you're a Partridge fan, This Time is everything you've been waiting for and more.

Thomas

Quote from: Mango Chimes on February 19, 2019, 01:47:55 AM
Yeah, it's a tribute to Coogan and the Gibbonseses that Alan's now got such a distinctive voice, you can hear every inflection and imagine his expressions when reading that. The first answer is brilliant for that - I can't imagine how it would read to someone not familiar with the character.

I laughed so much earlier at this particular line:

QuoteWhat can you tell us about the show? Are you a fan of This Time?

If I'm honest, I'm not super-clued-up on the show itself?

I love when Alan incorporates modern-speak and intonation.

Ferris

Quote from: Thomas on February 19, 2019, 09:58:26 PM
I love when Alan incorporates modern-speak and intonation.

I want to say "sludge"?

shiftwork2

Intrigued to see the Partridge of MMM and the recent books going overground again.  Radio Times cover, bloody hell.  Not letting myself get too into this for reasons of self-preservation.

Pseudopath

Ha ha! Fucking hell. That Dom Littlewood line floored me.

Thomas

Looking forward to reading that - even if the Radio Times recklessly impair the continuity of the article in their caption for the Alpha Papa image. It's confusing enough that Alan traversed the multiverse and attended the premiere.

Glebe

Tnx for scanning/uploading that, cliggg... it's a joy to see Partridge on the cover!

Ferris

A few passages from the books in there, but overall - lovely stuff. Seven on ten.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Thomas on February 20, 2019, 11:41:41 AM
Looking forward to reading that - even if the Radio Times recklessly impair the continuity of the article in their caption for the Alpha Papa image.

Aye, that irked me too.

GMTV

Bennett Brauer

Thanks for the RT upload, cliggg.

I like the hand straying on to his co-host's knee in one of the photos. He'll always be a man slightly behind the times however hard he tries.

Pseudopath

Quote from: popcorn on February 19, 2019, 02:44:58 PM
I think that sounds fucking weird frankly.

The Gibbons aren't averse to peppering the Partridge mythos with some puzzling, borderline-creepy shit. Take that freeze frame at the end of MMM, for example:

Phil_A

There was a radio trailer for this on 6music this afternoon, which included Alan reading a list of people who would not be happy to see him back on television, including the girl from Compliance "who sneered so hard I thought her face was going to turn inside out"

Found it, it's at 2:50:58 during Shaun Keaveny's show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0002m81

I'm enjoying all the unnecessary attention to detail they're putting into all these little promotional bits, that little bit of extra effort just adds a lot.

MattD

Partridge with the Gibbons and Coogan is undoubtedly hilarious, but I'll always prefer the darker edge that Iannucci and co gave him.

Even on series two of I'm Alan Partridge, there are moments that far outweigh anything since such as, say, the cup of beans skit (which is bizarre and but tragically funny). And I much prefer Michael and Lynn as supporting characters to Sidekick Simon, who are far more intriguing (particularly concerning hints to their backstory). They did feature in the film but they seemed like token additions while there's not much to the character Sidekick Simon who is somehow given greater presence.

bomb_dog

Quote from: (TV) CreamGuide21.30 This Time with Alan Partridge
It's 25 years since Alan Partridge first appeared on TV via The Day Today - although obviously he'd made his debut on On The Hour a few years before - and we can't think of many comedy characters who remain just as relevant, if not more so, a quarter of a century on. We're excited to report that, like a proper TV guide, we've actually seen the first episode of this new series, and it's absolutely fantastic. It's Alan presenting The One Show, with all the amusement that would suggest, and we reckon it probably most resembles Knowing Me Knowing You in its spot-on satire of current telly trends. You won't be disappointed.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Phil_A on February 20, 2019, 10:52:04 PM
There was a radio trailer for this on 6music this afternoon, which included Alan reading a list of people who would not be happy to see him back on television, including the girl from Compliance "who sneered so hard I thought her face was going to turn inside out"

Found it, it's at 2:50:58 during Shaun Keaveny's show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0002m81

I'm enjoying all the unnecessary attention to detail they're putting into all these little promotional bits, that little bit of extra effort just adds a lot.

What's with the "ladyboys" bit at the end?