Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:58:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

I wouldnt like them to go back to that style, Alan has chanhed a lot since then, I meant it in that I hope the people he interviews are people playing chracters and not real people, more KMKY than Mrs Merton.

ieXush2i

I hope he interviews animated CGI versions of celebrities, voiced by Jon Culshaw and  Jan Ravens. I believe this to be the exact middle-ground, pleasing everybody.

Utter Shit

I prefer the more realistic style of the acting in Mid Morning Matters to the slightly cartoonish silliness of Knowing Me, Knowing You, Partridge is a lot funnier IMO when he's losing the plot in mundane, reasonable settings.

In fact, say it quietly but I think KMKY is one of the weaker elements of the Partridge canon - I almost use it as the breakwater (!!!) between peak, realism-style Partridge (IAP, MMM, the autobiographies) and the slightly weirder Partridge of On The Hour and The Day Today where I don't think the character is that great (though the shows overall are obviously brilliant). As good as KMKY is, I don't find Partridge quite so funny when he's around similarly weird characters, and I find the fact that actors are re-used detracts from the reality of it somewhat. I know I'm out on a limb here but, to me, the greatness of Partridge begins with IAP series 1.

Twed

I agree with you. The more pathos, the better Partridge is.

Utter Shit

Ah good, not just me then! Mid Morning Matters probably doesn't get the love it deserves because of the low-key style (and it being on Sky) but it is pretty much perfect, and the interview sections make me laugh a lot more than anything in KMKY.

Twed

Agreed. Even better in series 2. It's a beautiful thing.

Utter Shit

Which episode is the one with the chef? I loved that one, and in particular the way it highlights Partridge's uneasiness with physical contact.

"Off."

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: SteK on February 14, 2018, 01:26:09 PM
My son was taught by Edmonds' cousin, unsurprisingly called 'Miss Edmonds' at Elmvale Primary School, Annan, Dumfriesshire.  Later married a Mr Chipchase and became Mrs Chipchase. First name Julie actually (not Mr Chipchase's, think he was called Gavin). Lived on Hecklegirth.

Is she the coach of a women's football team in Doncaster now?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on February 14, 2018, 01:48:42 PM
I think people expecting another KMKY are going to be disappointed. There's no going back to that.

Pfft!  I can use my DeLorean time machine to back in time to the inital broadcast of Knowing Me, Knowing You, which I built especially for this task.  Alternatively, I could put my Knowing Me, Knowing You disc into my DVD player.

In hindsight, the DeLorean time machine was a bit of waste of time and resources.  Oh dear.  I must reflect on the failings of a wasted life.

paruses

I agree with Twed and Utter Shit but don't the guests on KMKY have to be amped up too otherwise AP's absurdness would be out of sync with the guests. Also there was a more satirical nature to the guests and they were  largely transplanted from the radio where people always eat in an earthly way and are out of breath when they enter a room - the Chris Evans guy, Sally Fields and [look up name later], the boy prodigy who is now a woman, Vivian Westwood, the celebrity gangster.

I think it looks a very dated show because of the move towards realism in comedy.

I find it interesting that the stupid set ups on the shows like racing the octogenarian Olympians, Alan's Big Pocket etc. are all self-knowing things you would see on something like The One Show or, don't know - This Morning -  and have been spawned in part by KMKY and AP's growth in popularity.

The MMM guests and writing are / is / am fantastic and the fact that they're actors fades away even though they're known faces like Julian Barratt, the tall one from Whites, Nigel 4 Lions. The closest to a KMKY guest I thought was Reece Shearsmith as a Richard Littlejohn type - but that in no way is suggesting he wasn't superb.

ieXush2i

"And on that bombshell..."

I think each ep of KMKYWAP (both radio and TV) are excellently structured, with each episode building from Alan's optimism and whatever naff idea he's embracing that week, with guests and segments backfiring until it culminates in a perfect endscene ("ROGEEEEEERRRR!!!!", Hot Pants tsss, manslaughter). That could have been a result of Marber's discipline as everything got a lot more sloppy from thereon. However for me, MMM and the audiobook are where the character soared high again. Whether it's the Gibbons having a better handle on Alan than his original creators or allowing us to see glimpses of Alan's personal life through the way he acts in his professional one I don't know.

Alan's previous documentary tried to reposition himself as a "man of the people" after the chav debacle and I can see how his success doing so (in the supermarket, with the "gang" of teenagers, attempting a Cook Report sting and freeganism etc) would have convinced the fictional Beeb that he's got the common touch and can do primetime again.

magval

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 14, 2018, 04:16:54 PM
Which episode is the one with the chef? I loved that one, and in particular the way it highlights Partridge's uneasiness with physical contact.

"Off."

Fourth one, in Paris.

Utter Shit

Na I'm talking about in MMM not KMKY, the chef is played by Di Botcher - she annoys Alan by trying to convince him to eat fennel.

thegammonboys

I believe you're talking about the Valentine's day episode, which is a weird coincidence. Also the one where Sidekick Simon breaks up with his girlfriend and comes in drunk (see Naples...nipples). Great episode, believe it's series 2 (episode 4).

thegammonboys

As a younger generation FOP, I place the books and MMM at the top given the depth of character and the newfound sympathy on behalf of the writers. Also, I seem to like IAP slightly less every time I watch it (sorry). It has a lot of good moments, but it lacks the originality which the earlier and later stuff manages well. Or perhaps it's just my irritatingly stubborn non-conformism, which rejects something once it becomes an oft-quoted classic.

McChesney Duntz

Aw, c'mon people, it's pretty much all fucking great (even IAP S2, excepting the tax audit episode - good moments in that, too, but I've never seen a show throw up its hands and give up as flagrantly as that). But I will agree that the Gibbons-era Partridge is some kind of high point for Coogan and the character. Is this a worthwhile comment? Doubt it. But fuck it.

asids

IAP S2 is probably my favourite part of the Partridge canon.

Fight me.

Dr Rock

I trust this has been thought out well by those in control of Alan. He's wanted to get back on telly since his show was axed, it's a dream come true for him - the mixture of smug glee and fear of his second chance being fucked up by either someone else or him sounds like it has a lot of room for humour. I assume the tone will be quite different from KMKY, as TV has moved on. I don't want the same actors playing different people, as in KMKY, but I doubt that's what's planned.

Twed

An aside, but may as well mention it in a thread full of Partridge Phanatics: the guy in the Range Rover test drive in Places of My Life is one of the Gibbons.

Utter Shit

The other brother appears in one of the newer Partridge vehicles as well IIRC, although in a smaller role.

It's still got a diff lock.

Glebe

Quote from: asids on February 14, 2018, 08:26:03 PMIAP S2 is probably my favourite part of the Partridge canon.

Fight me.

It's a little rickety, but I enjoy it overall... Alan's encounter with Dan is just wonderful.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Oops! Wrong Planet on February 14, 2018, 11:27:25 AM
Oh yeah, Partridge. I don't think any one of Marber, Front, Mackichan or Schneider would necessarily seem wrong if they turned up, as long as it wasn't a wholesale reunion.

Schneider is too ingrained as Tony Hayers in the Partridgeverse now, that one would feel weird to me.

magval

Quote from: The Roofdog on February 15, 2018, 10:11:27 AM
Schneider is too ingrained as Tony Hayers in the Partridgeverse now, that one would feel weird to me.

Aaah, but think of how well Chris Morris worked as Peter Baxendale Thomas in IAP, post-Day Today. Aaaaah.

QDRPHNC

I think it's high time we had a good fucking ranking.

1. MMM Series 2
2. IAP Series 1
3. I, Patridge
4. Nomad
5. Welcome to the Places of My Life
6. MMM Series 1
7. Scissored Isle
8. Knowing Me Knowing Yule
9. KMKY
10. IAP Series 2

I know there's a bunch I'm probably missing. I think IAP Series 2 was a mess - funny enough, but a complete misfire in terms of characterization.

St_Eddie

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 15, 2018, 07:29:08 PM
I know there's a bunch I'm probably missing...

The most obvious omission is Alpha Papa.

ieXush2i

QDRPHNC

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 15, 2018, 07:34:35 PM
The most obvious omission is Alpha Papa.

Hah yes, I'd completely forgotten about that.

QDRPHNC

11. Alpha Papa

Only because I don't understand why all movies made from British TV shows need to involve the police somehow.

St_Eddie

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 15, 2018, 07:38:48 PM
11. Alpha Papa

Only because I don't understand why all movies made from British TV shows need to involve the police somehow.

I'd also place it at the bottom of the list, partly for the reason which you stated.  There's some kind of assumption that a film adaptation has to deal with a huge event (usually involving police and guns).  It's an annoying fallacy.

Malcy

Are we not throwing On The Hour, The Day Today & TFI Friday into the list?