Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:00:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time With Alan Partridge (One Show Spoof)

Started by Malcy, February 12, 2018, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notjosh

KMKY (radio)
KMKY (TV)
IAP series 1
MMM series 2
MMM series 1
I, Partridge
IAP series 2
Scissored Isle
Knowing KMKY (radio)
Anglian Lives
Knowing Me Knowing Yule
Welcome to the Places of My Life
Nomad
Alpha Papa
Bouncing Back

Captain Z

Don't forget Inheritance Tracks and all the Comic Relief sketches.

FWIW I feel like the last few years, since the first book, has been peak-Partridge.

Dr Rock

And his medleys of Abba and Kate Bush songs, done on Comic Relief but originally from on tour I think. So you've got the tour DVDs he's in to consider too.

edit - I'd rank the Kate Bush one highly.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 15, 2018, 07:38:48 PM
11. Alpha Papa

Only because I don't understand why all movies made from British TV shows need to involve the police somehow.

At least he didn't go on holiday!

notjosh

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 15, 2018, 10:33:10 PM
And his medleys of Abba and Kate Bush songs, done on Comic Relief but originally from on tour I think. So you've got the tour DVDs he's in to consider too.

Abba was from Knowing Me Knowing You (with Rebecca Front). Kate Bush was from the Man Who Thinks He's It. The latter I remember being quite a good segment but hardly vintage Partridge. I never saw Alan Partridge and Other Less Successful Characters - anyone know if it's worth checking out?

kidsick5000

magval

Quote from: notjosh on February 16, 2018, 06:38:04 AM
Abba was from Knowing Me Knowing You (with Rebecca Front). Kate Bush was from the Man Who Thinks He's It. The latter I remember being quite a good segment but hardly vintage Partridge. I never saw Alan Partridge and Other Less Successful Characters - anyone know if it's worth checking out?

It isn't. If I remember correctly he wrote it on his own, and it really shows up his shortcomings. Without his Saxondale co-writer, for example, Tommy becomes so one-note in Coogan's hands, which is a real shame as that was a brilliant series. I don't remember anything about the Partridge section at all and when I read I Partridge didn't even make the link that its chapter  actually referenced a real thing he'd done.

I'd avoid it unless it was free and even then skip past all the, fuck it, skip all of it.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: magval on February 16, 2018, 09:07:02 AM
It isn't. If I remember correctly he wrote it on his own, and it really shows up his shortcomings. Without his Saxondale co-writer, for example, Tommy becomes so one-note in Coogan's hands, which is a real shame as that was a brilliant series. I don't remember anything about the Partridge section at all and when I read I Partridge didn't even make the link that its chapter  actually referenced a real thing he'd done.

I'd avoid it unless it was free and even then skip past all the, fuck it, skip all of it.

Which chapter?

ajsmith2

Yeah, 'And Other Less Successful characters' really is the darkest hour nadir just before the Gibbons bros revivified Partridge 2 years laters for MMM. There's an alternate reality where later Partridge was just that kind of thing with ever further diminishing returns and the mention of the character only elicits groans and wistful sighs here.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 14, 2018, 04:02:02 PM
I prefer the more realistic style of the acting in Mid Morning Matters to the slightly cartoonish silliness of Knowing Me, Knowing You, Partridge is a lot funnier IMO when he's losing the plot in mundane, reasonable settings.

In fact, say it quietly but I think KMKY is one of the weaker elements of the Partridge canon - I almost use it as the breakwater (!!!) between peak, realism-style Partridge (IAP, MMM, the autobiographies) and the slightly weirder Partridge of On The Hour and The Day Today where I don't think the character is that great (though the shows overall are obviously brilliant). As good as KMKY is, I don't find Partridge quite so funny when he's around similarly weird characters, and I find the fact that actors are re-used detracts from the reality of it somewhat. I know I'm out on a limb here but, to me, the greatness of Partridge begins with IAP series 1.

For twenty odd years I'd have agreed with you but your comment led me to rewatching KMKY over the past couple of days and I'm enjoying it much much more this time around. I can't quite explain why but having Marber and co playing the guests used to annoy but now it doesn't.

magval

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 16, 2018, 11:13:02 AM
Which chapter?

It's somewhere near the end, after the events of IAP2 but before Mid Morning Matters. It's about his life-coaching service venture. That's based on the live tour.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: magval on February 16, 2018, 01:01:05 PM
It's somewhere near the end, after the events of IAP2 but before Mid Morning Matters. It's about his life-coaching service venture. That's based on the live tour.

Ah, I did not know that, cheers.

Dyl Spinks

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 15, 2018, 10:33:10 PM

A Morrissey medley is tailor-made for Partridge now.

Recent-ish songs like "Kiss Me a Lot", "In the Future When All's Well", "Jacky's Only Happy When She's up on the Stage", and "The World is Full of Crashing Bores" all have moments that are pure Partridge; I urge you to check them out if you're not already familiar with them. I've been dreaming of this medley for years.

Skip Bittman

Quote from: ajsmith2 on February 16, 2018, 12:14:30 PM
Yeah, 'And Other Less Successful characters' really is the darkest hour nadir just before the Gibbons bros revivified Partridge 2 years laters for MMM.

But the Partridge section is the first bit the Gibbons brothers wrote. I guess they wanted to show their range: nadir to nirvana.

neveragain

Partridge's bit in that is quite enjoyable. It's the first act (Calfs, Thickett, Saxondale) that was the problem.

greenman

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 14, 2018, 04:02:02 PM
I prefer the more realistic style of the acting in Mid Morning Matters to the slightly cartoonish silliness of Knowing Me, Knowing You, Partridge is a lot funnier IMO when he's losing the plot in mundane, reasonable settings.

In fact, say it quietly but I think KMKY is one of the weaker elements of the Partridge canon - I almost use it as the breakwater (!!!) between peak, realism-style Partridge (IAP, MMM, the autobiographies) and the slightly weirder Partridge of On The Hour and The Day Today where I don't think the character is that great (though the shows overall are obviously brilliant). As good as KMKY is, I don't find Partridge quite so funny when he's around similarly weird characters, and I find the fact that actors are re-used detracts from the reality of it somewhat. I know I'm out on a limb here but, to me, the greatness of Partridge begins with IAP series 1.

I'd say IAP 1 really marks the point were the character himself becomes the main focus, KMKY on radio and TV was I think more a kind of general sendup of chatshows and as with TDT and often not Alan himself but the writing around him that's the attraction.

Honestly what always stands out about The One Show to me is that its clearly a dumping ground for "talent" the BBC don't have anything else to do with so perhaps this show could play on that?

Straight Faced Customer

Surprised at the Alpha Papa bashing. Every time it's on BBC Iplayer, I'll give it a rewatch or two; God knows how many times I've seen it. Big love for Papa.

Twed

It's a nice bit of fun, and was very good in spite of having the potential to be the decline of Partridge.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Does that hint to a more Larry Sanders front stage/backstage structure, rather than a straight, KMKY style pastiche of a show?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

QuoteSteve Coogan's character will now return as temporary co-host of a weekday evening magazine programme, spoofing The One Show.

As long as the other host and the guests are all fictional and played straight this should be brilliant. Basically that Richard Madeley thing but somehow even better.

Usually pisses me off when something's lazily compared to Alan Partridge but this really was about as close as you could get. That bit when they've cut away and he can still be heard defensively saying "I just want to know if there's money to be made!" always gets me.

JohnnyCouncil

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 14, 2018, 05:27:36 PM
Na I'm talking about in MMM not KMKY, the chef is played by Di Botcher - she annoys Alan by trying to convince him to eat fennel.

Is that the "Nobody likes a fucking crybaby" line. Brilliant. My favourite bit.

Ferris

Any ideas when this is going to be broadcast?

Utter Shit

Quote from: JohnnyCouncil on February 20, 2018, 08:20:54 PM
Is that the "Nobody likes a fucking crybaby" line. Brilliant. My favourite bit.
Hahaha yeah. Completely out of the blue as well.

JimFromTheMoon

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on February 14, 2018, 08:17:50 PM
Aw, c'mon people, it's pretty much all fucking great (even IAP S2, excepting the tax audit episode - good moments in that, too, but I've never seen a show throw up its hands and give up as flagrantly as that). But I will agree that the Gibbons-era Partridge is some kind of high point for Coogan and the character. Is this a worthwhile comment? Doubt it. But fuck it.

I agree with all the above. It was back in '07 when I was staying with family in Ireland that I first saw the character Alan Partridge. I was flipping through the channels and came upon the scene with the tax collectors right before they show up and he is playing air-bass to "Music for Chameleons". The entire scene was so absurd I was instantly hooked.  I grew up in America, so I never heard of Coogan or Partridge at this point.  I know Steve and Armando have said that IAP S2 was a bit hokey, or he played Alan as too much of a character, and I can kind of see what they mean, but this episode in particular is what started my obsession with Alan Partridge, so it will always hold a special place with me.  I always saw S2 as Alan being more bonkers because he was in such an absurd situation. Living in a tiny caravan, lost out on the Chris Feather BBC contract, Bouncing Back not selling, etc. It was all just a horrible crazy world, and he reflected the insanity of it all a bit more than before or since.

So all I really wanted to say was that yes, "it's pretty much all fucking great", though it's clear from all the Gibbons material and recent stuff (scissored isle, places of my life) that Alan has "matured" and feels more real than ever.  Again, being from America I am not at all familiar with "The One Show" except for references from Partridge and maybe Peep Show, so I have no idea of what to expect.  Pretty sure it will be hilarious. 

Artemis

It's been interesting introducing my girlfriend to Partridge. She's Australian so you have to keep that in mind, but generally speaking, the more recent it is, the more she enjoys it. She didn't take to KMKY at all, mainly because it didn't feel real, and she prefers to watch somebody enjoying themselves, which is generally what MMM is all about. Everything Gibons onwards has been met well.

I can appreciate what she says about KMKY, and I don't know to what extent nostalgia biases my feelings towards it. I think at any given point in the canon, you're dealing with the version of Partridge that existed at that point. The MMM Alan is almost different character entirely to the KMKY era. What's fucking awesome about it all is that they've managed to mature Alan without losing that core sense of self about him. He's kind of grown as people do, within a comedic setting. His pretty consistent growth make sore thumbs like IAP2 and 'Other Characters' (as much as you can hold a live show to be internally consistent) all the more jarring.

Ja'moke

A few more details here: https://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/tv/alan-partridge-brexit-nigel-farage-bbc/346478

QuoteHe also described the fictional show as being a combination of breakfast TV, Newsnight and The One Show...

Coogan said: "Lynn will make the odd clandestine appearance as she rushes on to the set between takes, so there'll be little glimpses of Lynn."

Tikwid