Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:37:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

#germandeathcamps

Started by nedthemumbler, February 13, 2018, 04:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nedthemumbler

#germandeathcamps

Anyone else come across these adverts on Youtube and Spotify?  Powerful images of the holocaust, the camps, Arbicht Mach Frei etc.

At first I suspected it was going to be an ad for a new shoot-em-up, but googling mercifully reveals it to be a Polish organisation's campaign.

From what I can work out, they feel the Germans are trying to muddy the details of history and therefore shrug off the blame of the Holocaust.  It says the Germans are claiming the majority of their public was anti-Hitler and it was actually the Poles who were running the camps and also the most ardent anti-semites.

Also how the Polish contribution to the Allied effort and liberating Europe (including its Jews) is being neglected.

Not too clear on my own thoughts (or those of the campaign's creators) and am keen to know more.

Are the people who paid for these ads justified in their fears, 70 years on?

EDIT Sorry further looking shows it to be the Polish governments efforts to defend its controversial new law to prosecute accusations of Polish complicity in the Holocaust'https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-poland-takes-to-social-media-to-defend-its-controversial-holocaust-law-1.5803441[/url]

bgmnts

The idea of even Twitterising something as heinous as the Holocaust with a hashtag makes me feel a bit icky.

My knowledge of something as cloudy as this is too shaky to say what is correct but for Germany to try to pin the majority of the blame of the Holocaust on someone else is quite shitty, if that's what's happening.

Although aren't there white nationalist groups on the rise in Poland at the moment? Maybe they're just cynically trying to capitalise on that.

That said, regardless of whatever law comes out, you'd have to think SOME Poles, no matter how rough they had it during WW2 - and they did- must have been complicit; much the same way Germans and French were, through fear.

nedthemumbler

Quote from: bgmnts on February 13, 2018, 04:11:47 PM
The idea of even Twitterising something as heinous as the Holocaust with a hashtag makes me feel a bit icky.

That was my first reaction, shock.  I thought even Call of Duty 12 wouldn't resort to such morally dubious ways to grab your attention.

My work is nigh on 50 percent Polish folk, from the lowest shmuck right up to engineers and senior management, so am intrigued to ask someone about it all tomorrow.  (Although I haven't dared broach Brexit with them since I joined in September).  I know one girl, Monika, posts Remember 1944 or words to that effect a good deal on FB.

Direct links to the actual vids, the one with the flamethrower looked very gamelike..

Today We Are Still On The Side Of Truth

Testimony of Truth

I thought it was Ukrainians rather than Poles who helped man the camps.

#notallUkranians

nedthemumbler

Quote from: Quote on February 13, 2018, 04:21:14 PM
I thought it was Ukrainians rather than Poles who helped man the camps.

#notallUkranians

I think the Cornish get off very lightly for what they did.

Replies From View

Quote from: nedthemumbler on February 13, 2018, 04:24:08 PM
I think the Cornish get off very lightly for what they did.

Mined tin in the 16th century?

Hobo With A Shit Pun

They didn't mined tin in the 16th century.

In fact, they loved the stuff.

biggytitbo

I thought it was a ad campaign for a film. There is something slightly amiss about launching a campaign to combat something nobody in this country has any idea occurs (if it even does) isnt there?

nedthemumbler

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 13, 2018, 04:44:45 PM
something nobody in this country has any idea occurs (if it even does)

Once I googled properly, this is what still confuses me.  Are some or any Germans pushing the view that the Polish campaign claims, or is it paranoia or some other motives to make them believe/say that they are?

A third video, this time from the Polish PM no less.   Goes into more detail about the new law and their thinking behind it.

Replies From View

Some people did have a habit a while back of referring to the various death camps as "Polish death camps" because they were on Polish soil; in fact I think Obama made this mistake a few years ago and apologised. 

Insisting they be called "German death camps" isn't a fair reaction though.  They were Nazi death camps.

As for whether this is an issue that particularly needs raking over now - I doubt it.  Poland is going through a worrying period of transition at the moment.