Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:35:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Advice from any Orb fans

Started by Kane Jones, February 14, 2018, 09:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kane Jones

I've been asked to co-host an Orb Special for the radio station I work for. I'm fairly familiar with their work, but could do with some help putting together my half of the playlist. It will need to be relatively commercial stuff for want of a better word. Not necessarily well-known, but certainly accessible to our audience. I've already pegged Little Fluffy Clouds, and I'd also like to play The Transit Kings' 'The Last Lighthouse Keeper'. I would also really like to play Blue Room, but it's way too long.

So can you help a fella out? The playlist would need to be around 50 minutes long with tracks picked from several albums throughout their career. Ta in advance.

Head Gardener

as an expert in these things, Oxbow Lakes (Evensong String Arrangement), Star 6 & 7 8 9, Toxygene,
A Huge Ever Growing Remix (Orbital Dance Mix), Blue Room (single edit) should all be in there

Norton Canes

phantom_power

The vocal version of Perpetual Dawn. I can't remember the name of it

Norton Canes

purlieu

Toxygene, the single version of Asylum (much better than the album one), Dolly Unit, maybe Once More or Vuja De for a vocal tune.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 14, 2018, 11:04:42 AM
The Solar Youth mix?

Is this the one Kris Weston said it was so bad that the writer of the original music cried when he heard it?

I would represent their excellent most recent album 'COW' with '4am Exhale'

Kane Jones

BlodwynPig

Any of the remixes of Once More, here's one of Mark Pritchard's mixes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Lpoc32yKc

Paaaaul

Quote from: Kane Jones on February 14, 2018, 09:16:00 AM
I would also really like to play Blue Room, but it's way too long.

There is a radio edit.
I also love the Assassin single, and the Peel Session version of Back Side Of The Moon from the early days

Dr Syntax Head

There's a radio edit of Blue Room.

I'd say an edit of Assassin and it would be a crime not to play U.F.Orb the track.

My favourite and one I would not be able to miss is Close Encounters. I had a spiritual experience listening to that while watching a lightning storm on acid

Edit. Paaaaaul sorry to basically say what you did

batwings

Into The Fourth Dimension (Essences In Starlight) (Peel Sessions)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYhduY11kQI

Captain Z

If you want something more recent there's the 2010 album they did with David Gilmour. Hard to pick a single track, it's essentially one movement without trackmarks, but the opening 9 minutes should do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-rb4eSYMA4

BlodwynPig

Kane Jones

That's champion, folks. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Bhazor

What radio station is it? Or will they get the big lads on to you if you say anything?

Quote from: purlieu on February 14, 2018, 11:30:13 AM
or Vuja De for a vocal tune.

Get in the bin.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Bhazor on February 15, 2018, 11:52:01 AM
What radio station is it? Or will they get the big lads on to you if you say anything?

It's just our local station here in North Devon. Luckily the evening schedule is fairly decent, and they allow us evening presenters to do some pretty interesting shows and play some fairly obscure stuff.

BlodwynPig

purlieu

Quote from: Bhazor on February 15, 2018, 11:52:01 AM
Get in the bin.
Seems like a pretty sensible recommendation for the more commercial end of things. It's not an Orb highlight but it's pretty accessible and poppy.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Outside of the actual singles and what has beem mentioned so far, my recommendations for commercial sounding stuff, or at least what would have been commercial at some point in time are:

The Land of Green Ginger
Codes
Ubiquity
Molten Love
Secrets
Promis
Centuries
Plum Island
Earth (Gaia)
Close Encounters
Captain Korma
Edelgrun

Perhaps throw in a track from Metallic Spheres

Norton Canes

Can you demand an extra 10 minutes so you can include the version of Towers of Dub on their Live 93 album?

Kane Jones

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 15, 2018, 02:31:19 PM
Can you demand an extra 10 minutes so you can include the version of Towers of Dub on their Live 93 album?

Sadly not. Although if it proves successful we will probably be allowed to do a sequel (we've done 4 Hauntology Shows so far due to their popularity). If this happens I shall include some of the suggestions that don't make the final list for show 1.

Great list by the way, Shoulders. Thanks.

Joy Nktonga

I did an Orb one-two to end one of my shows a few years ago with Golden Clouds off of the The Orb and Lee Scratch Perry's "Presents The Orbserver in the Star House" album and Grey Clouds by The Orb and Alan Parker (Simon Munnery) which I have only ever found on "Annie Mack Presents Y4k" album. Both tracks are, orbviously, takes on Little Fluffy Clouds, and the Alan Parker one is pretty amusing. Good luck with the show Kane, perhaps a wee link in here so we can stream it live/later?

Edit: if you want to I can get Grey Clouds to you so you don't have to waste money on that Annie Mack thing like I had to!

Sebastian Cobb

If you ever get asked to do n-joi just play their live at manchester set.

The KLF - 3 am Eternal (Blue Danube Orbital mix)
A Huge Evergrowing......
Blue Room
Golden Clouds
S.A.L.T
Once More (Scourge of the Earth long mix)

Sherringford Hovis

Are remixes allowed?

This Robbie Williams Bee Gees cover reworking is sublime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2wJEwW8xkU

jobotic

If remixes are allowed The orb's remix of Ulf Lohmann's Because Before is one of the best things they've done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ01gQTfHaw

I'd go for Star 6 & 8 9 (Phase II) myself, it's more direct.

And Grey Clouds is ace.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Joy Nktonga on February 15, 2018, 07:56:28 PM
Good luck with the show Kane, perhaps a wee link in here so we can stream it live/later?

Thanks Joy. If I'm feeling brave, I'll post a link. We've planned it for Thursday 8th March.

Quote from: Joy Nktonga on February 15, 2018, 07:56:28 PM
if you want to I can get Grey Clouds to you so you don't have to waste money on that Annie Mack thing like I had to!

That would be amazing, thank you!

Thanks for all your help, dudes. Got enough for about 3 shows at this rate. Hope they let us do more.

Viero_Berlotti

Mess with peoples heads by starting the show by playing the whole of the Rickie Lee Jones interview that the 'Little Fluffy Clouds' sample came from.

https://youtu.be/Erba5If9f30

Edit: I think that's an edited excerpt actually not the whole interview, but it would fit into a radio show neatly.