Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:17:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy you liked but now think is problematical.

Started by Gulftastic, February 14, 2018, 08:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millwall32

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 15, 2018, 11:35:33 AM
Compare it to Shelley and there you have a working-class/unemployed man who is dead clever and could outwit Del-Boy no problem. But Shelley or someone like him would never be allowed near Del Boy.
Possibly a first ever mention for Shelley on here.

The Mollusk

Re: The League of Gentlemen

A fair bit of it is quite dated now, but even the scenes/characters that were written with sympathy and good intentions in mind were inevitably picked up by people who thought the butt of the joke was the disadvantaged people, which makes the show age a lot more. There is a group on Facebook that's a TLOG appreciation society thing and it absolutely revels in people posting current affairs articles and whatnot regarding mental health or LGBTQ and using quotes from the show to poke fun at those people. I'd be fuckin horrified if I'd written something that 20 years down the line is being misconstrued and used as fuel for hate speech, but hey, what can ya do?

TLOG was very variable.  I'll always recall Papa Lazarou as a unique and awesome character, though.

Noodle Lizard

I've been rewatching The League of Gentlemen a lot recently and I'm quite surprised at how little "problematic" stuff there is in it (I'm introducing it to a liberal, Californian audience of folks as well). A sign of the lads generally having a good head on their shoulders, even as young as they were and operating in that era of TV comedy. For an "edgy" show, I've found plenty of far more accessible stuff to have dated worse in terms of modern-day acceptability. Of course, you probably wouldn't want to introduce a character like Pops or Babs or perhaps even Mr Chinnery now, but there's nothing inherently "unacceptable" about them. It's stood the test of time.

Perhaps it's down to the fact that their influences were horror and drama moreso than out-and-out "comedy". The latter seems to be far more vulnerable to Bad Aging, since it's generally relied on facilitating the quickest and easiest way to "a laugh", sometimes at the expense of entire demographics, whereas horror and drama is a bit more egalitarian. I dunno. Either way, there's nothing in TLoG that I'd be particularly afraid to show anyone today.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 04, 2021, 08:27:19 PM
TLOG was very variable.  I'll always recall Papa Lazarou as a unique and awesome character, though.

Black face tho.

#Canceltheleague

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 04, 2021, 11:17:02 PM
Perhaps it's down to the fact that their influences were horror and drama moreso than out-and-out "comedy". The latter seems to be far more vulnerable to Bad Aging, since it's generally relied on facilitating the quickest and easiest way to "a laugh", sometimes at the expense of entire demographics, whereas horror and drama is a bit more egalitarian. I dunno.
Not so sure about this, given how often horror has exploited the physically and/or mentally deformed and disabled for shock and villains.  Not to mention the long history of cross-dressing serial killers.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I genuinely think what helps with TLoG stuff is the obvious genuine affection they have for their characters - maybe something to do with them leaning more towards actors rather than 'purely' comedians and them inhabiting the roles.

Even when they're dealing with edgier or extreme subject matter, there's usually at least a moment where the outsider figure's relatable humanity shines through. There's a surprising amount of empathy.