Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:40:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Still Game Series 8

Started by Malcy, February 15, 2018, 11:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Namtab

Yeah, dunno if it's the HD personally, but the direction definitely feels very off and lifeless. Everything's a bit stilted and the timing's not quite right.

Serge

There was a rumour going around that a few scenes in the last series were done without all of the actors being present - so, for example, you'd have Jack and Victor sitting at their table in the Clansman talking to someone at the bar, and that person's reaction shots/dialogue would be filmed separately - which may account for the weird timing. Probably complete bullshit, but I might keep an eye out in future episodes to see if there are any scenes where people talking to each other never appear in the same shot.

Malcy

Couple of laughs but think this has had it's day. Hope this is the last series. And i don't think the deaths are over yet either.

Serge

I agree on your last point - I think Eric was a red herring to make people think that was it, and we still have a bigger name yet to go. The after-credits sequence would seem to hint at that.

Though weirdly.....I actually found that far more enjoyable than last weeks and most of the previous series. I did a proper belly laugh at the fact that the undertaker was called Ian Duncan Sheathing, and liked the 'fuc/king bollocks' edit. And I did smile at a few lines (again, mainly Navid's.) And, although not up to their standards, it felt more like series 1-6 Still Game than anything so far since it's come back. Even Methadone Mick didn't annoy me as much as normal.

Malcy

Quote from: Serge on March 15, 2018, 10:12:03 PM
I agree on your last point - I think Eric was a red herring to make people think that was it, and we still have a bigger name yet to go. The after-credits sequence would seem to hint at that.

Though weirdly.....I actually found that far more enjoyable than last weeks and most of the previous series. I did a proper belly laugh at the fact that the undertaker was called Ian Duncan Sheathing, and liked the 'fuc/king bollocks' edit. And I did smile at a few lines (again, mainly Navid's.) And, although not up to their standards, it felt more like series 1-6 Still Game than anything so far since it's come back. Even Methadone Mick didn't annoy me as much as normal.

Meena throwing her dildo out after Omar Sharifs death was the highlight for me. I don't know if it's because it's been hyped up so much that I didn't enjoy it that much or if it's just me bored of the show. I find it hard to watch the old episodes because i know them so well. I'm still sticking to my theory that a certain person is going to die, more than likely in the last or second to last episode, since the undertaker is around for the rest of the series.

Serge

Yeah, the final episode would seem the most likely for another death. Keep people watching to the end, and then give them a reason to come back for the next series.

I liked how Isa picked up on Meena saying 'Idi Amin'.

And Boaby's crisp-eating antics have made me hungry for a packet of smokey bacon crisps.

Namtab

Definitely an improvement, if still not great. However, the Omar Sharif line got a big laugh from me, and everything felt a lot smoother.

Malcy

That was pretty shite. Couple of chuckles but I've had enough of it now. They should have left it alone. Cupboard full of Still Game edition Tennents Lager sets i'm gonna sell before i start drinking them in the hope it makes it funnier.

Osmium

Yep, tonight's episode was dire. A few laughs greatly outnumbered by exhalations of displeasure.

Cuntbeaks

Wet Blanket

Thought last night's was more or less up to snuff after the ropey first couple. Miss Hoolie in there too, who I was surprised to learn is Greg Hemphill's missus.

Said it last time and will say it again: shoulda got Limmy in to play Methadone Mick

ajsmith2

Quote from: Wet Blanket on March 23, 2018, 09:29:02 AM
Thought last night's was more or less up to snuff after the ropey first couple. Miss Hoolie in there too, who I was surprised to learn is Greg Hemphill's missus.

Said it last time and will say it again: shoulda got Limmy in to play Methadone Mick

Don't think he'd have done it; I mean the characters just an artless knock off of the more obvious mannerisms of DeeDee, without any of the stuff that makes DeeDee brilliant.

Wet Blanket

They're all artless knock offs of the more obvious mannerisms of DeeDee, without any of the stuff that makes DeeDee brilliant by the time I'm finished with them

Bobtoo

When this episode was first aired somebody told me the woman on the bench was Miss Hoolie https://youtu.be/FmyuSHXNTY8?t=519

I can't decide if it is or not, Woman on Bench doesn't seem to be credited.

Malcy

Quote from: Bobtoo on March 23, 2018, 10:29:15 AM
When this episode was first aired somebody told me the woman on the bench was Miss Hoolie https://youtu.be/FmyuSHXNTY8?t=519

I can't decide if it is or not, Woman on Bench doesn't seem to be credited.

There are similarities but don't think it's her. Could be a family member given the connection to Hemphill. He has a new one off in a couple of weeks. Thread here - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,66057.0.html

ajsmith2

I thought the observation that something about the HD filming process kills the atmosphere was particularly true for this episode. I could imagine it working much better if it was filmed like the old episodes, but the atmosphere was S T E R I L E.

My partner observed that this felt like the script for 'Still Game - The Movie', and not in a good way. I agree, it had that 'comedy sublimated in favour of a plot' pace of the drawn out second half of a 70s British sitcom film adaptation.

Why does Methadone Mick get the only setpiece solo scenes at the expense of the classic characters? It was the kind of subplot you could see Winston carrying but suddenly we're meant to care about this guy?  I take it back about Methadone Mick being a DeeDee mannerism clone btw, the actor's clearly knocked that on the head. I don't even think he'd be a bad addition if they used him more sparingly but it's the way he's being promoted, Poochie-style (literally in this episode) as your new most beloved character that grates I think.

Bobtoo

I've never heard anybody say they like Methadone Mick.

RoadMaintenanceTycoon

the show has lost its mind and its heart. methadone mick is a shamefully badly drawn character reminiscent of the magic negro stock character from films bygone. the magical wise intellectual junkie. dismal stuff.

it feels more and more like the writers are trying to prove that they can write more than just still game, while continuing to write just still game. there is so much genre parody stuff (the heist episode, the western parodies, the whole supernatural undertaker thing) that is so self-consciously done that it somehow puts what made the show so good into the background. the humour has taken a backseat to plot and contrivances, like ajsmith2 mentioned above. I could forgive all of this if it had stayed funny, but now it's filled with more puns and in-jokes and film references that just don't suit it.

still game, in my opinion, was at it's best when it was about jack and victor getting into scrapes and maintained a facade of realism. it was about friends, it was an affectionate portrait of ageing and community. now it doesn't seem like it knows what it wants to be, one week it's right-on social commentary and the next it's absurd genre parodies and pisstakes of junkies.

they've lost their grip on the tone of the thing and it's become a self-conscious, disorganised shell of its former self.

still, i liked some of navid's bits

Enrico Palazzo

It was pretty bad when it was at its peak.

Serge

Basically, Navid came in, did the one funny bit and then left.

OK, I admit I did raise a smile at the fact that Boabby had eighteen stents, and that the Park Mill team was called Park Mill Bastards, but pretty woeful stuff. I was less impressed that Julie Wilson Nimmo was in it - given she used to be in 'Chewin' The Fat' with the rest of them and is married to Greg - than that Kirstin McLean was in it.

That's two episodes in a row that Boabby has had health problems - I think they're trying to make us think that they're going to kill him off, but then kill somebody else at the last minute.

EDIT: Oh yes, and the initial scene in the Clansman was filmed exactly how I described it above - three separate sets of characters never properly interacting, as though all three sets had been filmed on different days.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Serge on March 26, 2018, 09:46:29 PM

EDIT: Oh yes, and the initial scene in the Clansman was filmed exactly how I described it above - three separate sets of characters never properly interacting, as though all three sets had been filmed on different days.

But why I wonder? Have they all still fallen out and can't bear to be in the same shot for longer than a few minutes? What's the advantage to filming it that way? Cos I can only see disadvantages.

Serge

I think it was down to schedules clashing - I don't know what else, say, Paul Riley does, but maybe he can't make it down to film certain scenes at certain times. As I say, it may be bullshit - there were plenty of scenes with all of them in later in the episode - but it did strike me as odd when I noticed it the other night.

MattD

Quote from: RoadMaintenanceTycoon on March 26, 2018, 12:54:46 AM
the show has lost its mind and its heart. methadone mick is a shamefully badly drawn character reminiscent of the magic negro stock character from films bygone. the magical wise intellectual junkie. dismal stuff.

it feels more and more like the writers are trying to prove that they can write more than just still game, while continuing to write just still game. there is so much genre parody stuff (the heist episode, the western parodies, the whole supernatural undertaker thing) that is so self-consciously done that it somehow puts what made the show so good into the background. the humour has taken a backseat to plot and contrivances, like ajsmith2 mentioned above. I could forgive all of this if it had stayed funny, but now it's filled with more puns and in-jokes and film references that just don't suit it.

still game, in my opinion, was at it's best when it was about jack and victor getting into scrapes and maintained a facade of realism. it was about friends, it was an affectionate portrait of ageing and community. now it doesn't seem like it knows what it wants to be, one week it's right-on social commentary and the next it's absurd genre parodies and pisstakes of junkies.

they've lost their grip on the tone of the thing and it's become a self-conscious, disorganised shell of its former self.

still, i liked some of navid's bits

They need to bring it back down to size and stop over elaborating on everything. As you say, everything comes off as terribly contrived with plots and set pieces. Bring back some sense of observation, poignancy and warmth to it, keep things simple and things should flow naturally. I think these characters are good, so good in fact that a lot of pathos can be reaped from them.

Do something as simple as a half hour in real time in Jack & Victor's flat. Might sound cliched, but the strength of their characters would see it to it being good enough. I prefer sitcoms that focus more on characterisation than plot (and not in the way of contriving plots to 'develop' characters that arguably did for Only Fools).

It would be a shame to see it turn into some sort of Scottish Last of the Summer Wine, but a lot of the nonsense suggests its going that way.

Serge

It's a sign of how far this has slipped in my affections that I'd completely forgotten it was on tonight until my dad just reminded me a few minutes ago....

Malcy

Quote from: Serge on March 29, 2018, 09:16:37 PM
It's a sign of how far this has slipped in my affections that I'd completely forgotten it was on tonight until my dad just reminded me a few minutes ago....

I'm watching The Two Ronnie's instead on Yesterday. Laughed more than I have at the past 3 EPs of Still Game. I might watch it after but in no rush anymore which is a shame really.

Namtab

Fuck me that was shite. Breaks my heart how poor this has been.

Malcy

I'm not even finished this episode and it's utter shite. Half of the episode is the Cottiers stage show from 20 years ago. Even the dialogue is 99% verbatim.

Had enough of this show now. Lazy rehashed shite.

Nowhere Man

I watched that whilst slightly buzzed from drinking, yet it was still utter pish. Honest to god my impression at the moment is that was the worst episode they've made to date. FUCK OFF with the Methodone Mick thing, his character is okay in small interactions but giving him the secondary plot is just ridiculous.

Didn't help that I spent the whole episode thinking they were gonna kill off Bobby at some point. I also thought it was kind of odd that they kept treating him like shite even after the heart attack.

Did anyone else thing for a second that Innes (the massive old pensioner from Big Yin) was going to be the supporting player?

Pains me to say it, but it might have been better if they'd never brought it back at this rate.

Malcy

Quote from: Nowhere Man on March 29, 2018, 11:11:19 PM
I watched that whilst slightly buzzed from drinking, yet it was still utter pish. Honest to god my impression at the moment is that was the worst episode they've made to date. FUCK OFF with the Methodone Mick thing, his character is okay in small interactions but giving him the secondary plot is just ridiculous.

Didn't help that I spent the whole episode thinking they were gonna kill off Bobby at some point. I also thought it was kind of odd that they kept treating him like shite even after the heart attack.

Did anyone else thing for a second that Innes (the massive old pensioner from Big Yin) was going to be the supporting player?

Pains me to say it, but it might have been better if they'd never brought it back at this rate.

If you thought that was shite wait till you watch tonight's.

Cuntbeaks

It's been pish for years and years, glad to see you all waking up.

Embarrassing, stodgy, painful, unoriginal and laugh free. Kill them all off, put it to bed, leave with a modicum of self-respect. Fucking idiots.