Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:33:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Incredibles 2

Started by Norton Canes, February 16, 2018, 01:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

The first Incredibles film is my favourite CGI animated movie. And my favourite Superhero movie. And my favourite James Bond movie.

And at last, here's the sequel

madhair60

Visually this looks absolutely astonishing. The clothing especially.

Can't wait. I adore The Incredibles and Brad Bird in general, especially his objectivist opinions which I am 100% on board with as fiercely as I can possibly express.

popcorn

I don't have any idea what the premise of this one is, based on that trailer. Mr Incredible has to look after the baby and Mrs Incredible works for a company?

samadriel

At least it's light on spoilers!

mothman

It looks like a bit of a role-reversal thing going on. A bit of tension artificially injected into the relationship again: in the first movie because he was off being a superhero - and lyign to her about it - and there was her fears he was cheating on her; this time, because she's off being the successful career woman requiring him to take on the homemaker roles she previously held (and filled without issue), and doing it badly. No doubt there will turn out to be much more to the job she's doing, something sinister, and they will all come together to sort it again.

But what the heck, the first one is easily my all-time favourite Pixar movie (Wall-E and Ratatuille joint second) and even though he's likely only doing it after Tomorrowland crashed and burned, it's still Brad Bird.

So, I am there, with bells on, but - no capes, dahlink!

Custard

I think it's been in production for at least five years

The first one is the perfect Pixar film, in my book. It's well brilliant

greenman

Quote from: mothman on February 17, 2018, 07:59:10 PM
It looks like a bit of a role-reversal thing going on. A bit of tension artificially injected into the relationship again: in the first movie because he was off being a superhero - and lyign to her about it - and there was her fears he was cheating on her; this time, because she's off being the successful career woman requiring him to take on the homemaker roles she previously held (and filled without issue), and doing it badly. No doubt there will turn out to be much more to the job she's doing, something sinister, and they will all come together to sort it again.

But what the heck, the first one is easily my all-time favourite Pixar movie (Wall-E and Ratatuille joint second) and even though he's likely only doing it after Tomorrowland crashed and burned, it's still Brad Bird.

So, I am there, with bells on, but - no capes, dahlink!

I'd hope it follows the first film and kepts this aspect limited to more of an introduction rather than trying to stretch it across the entire thing.

idunnosomename

I am perhaps a little disappointed how similar it looks to the first film. Actually continuing right on from the first film and showing the Underminer battle feels like such obvious fan-service. And Jack-Jack is still like one year old? With all the transformations we'd seen at the end of the last film reprised?

I'd love to have seen it just moved on a couple of years (I don't expect real-time or anything) instead of having that direct-to-video continuation feel. I mean, I kind of want some character development from this, not just fan fiction.

Anyway as you say it is quite short and there could be a lot more to the film than they show.

greenman

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 18, 2018, 09:02:57 AM
I am perhaps a little disappointed how similar it looks to the first film. Actually continuing right on from the first film and showing the Underminer battle feels like such obvious fan-service. And Jack-Jack is still like one year old? With all the transformations we'd seen at the end of the last film reprised?

I'd love to have seen it just moved on a couple of years (I don't expect real-time or anything) instead of having that direct-to-video continuation feel. I mean, I kind of want some character development from this, not just fan fiction.

Anyway as you say it is quite short and there could be a lot more to the film than they show.

Yep I'd hope its more the first half hour or so were seeing here although I'd say a more Elastagirl focus would probably make things more interesting than trying to retell essentially the same Mr Incredible story with a bit of role reversal.

SavageHedgehog

The first teaser made it look like it was going to focus on the baby Son of the Mask-style. This one looks more like Mr. Mom. Still cool I guess.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 17, 2018, 09:10:28 PM
I think it's been in production for at least five years

Yeah, the other day I listened to an episode of The Bancroft Brothers Animation Podcast where they interviewed Bird just before Tomorrowland came out (i.e. before it "tanked"), and he was already talking about it then. (Not a bad interview if you're interested in Bird or the animation industry in general)

mothman

Quote from: greenman on February 18, 2018, 08:13:06 AM
I'd hope it follows the first film and kepts this aspect limited to more of an introduction rather than trying to stretch it across the entire thing.

Me too, actually. Given how tired much of Pixar's output has become in the past few years, there's also an obvious interest in seeing them up their game and not just do a re-tread - that is, beyond the fact that it's the sequel to my favourite of their films and I want them to do it justice.

idunnosomename

See, I would be pretty confident that Bird would deliver a clever twist on the already clever original. But since they left him to do whatever he wanted with Tomorrowland and it sunk like a rock, I do worry they've taken a very safe route with this and he'll have been overruled into a corporate tick-box blockbuster.

The Underminer fight should never be shown. It's a great end because he's such a ridiculous villain (like Bomb Voyage), and not a true antagonist. We know for certain the family can work together and defeat him. That's why they just did a fucking video game about it or something. Starting with it just looks imaginatively bankrupt.

And powerful babies causing inadvertent havoc? Man. I could do without that shit.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 18, 2018, 01:22:56 PM
See, I would be pretty confident that Bird would deliver a clever twist on the already clever original. But since they left him to do whatever he wanted with Tomorrowland and it sunk like a rock, I do worry they've taken a very safe route with this and he'll have been overruled into a corporate tick-box blockbuster.

The Underminer fight should never be shown. It's a great end because he's such a ridiculous villain (like Bomb Voyage), and not a true antagonist. We know for certain the family can work together and defeat him. That's why they just did a fucking video game about it or something. Starting with it just looks imaginatively bankrupt.

And powerful babies causing inadvertent havoc? Man. I could do without that shit.
Telling you, will be twee shite.

Wont even be a quarter of Finding Dory 

idunnosomename

I didn't see Finding Dory yet but I saw Monsters University at Christmas and I thought it was great. Not slapped together at all. Good character development (especially Sully going from an asshole jock to Mike's best friend), funny, not too fan-pandering (much less Randall than I expected).

God if this is a watered-down twee retread of the first one I'll be so annoyed

All that remains is for them to be so fucking lazy they decide Syndrome didn't die and he is behind the whole plot

itsfredtitmus

Finding Dory is just as good as Finding Nemo. Go watch it mate

popcorn

Bomb Voyage is one of the biggest laughs I've ever had in a cinema.

Mister Six

Finding Dory isn't even quarter-arsed. Proper "Why are we making this again? Oh yes - the rent," stuff. Utterly charmless, and comes across like an incredibly expensive bit of fanfic, especially not having any idea what to do with Nemo and his dad.

Speaking of which, the whole "You should be more like Dory and just walk blindly into danger in the hope that things will more or less sort themselves out" character development for the dad is fucking weird.

Small Man Big Horse

This came out in the US last weekend to glowing reviews and took a ridiculous amount of money at the box office, so I presumed we'd be seeing it soon too but apparently have to wait until the 13th of July, which is truly evil of them. Anyhow, in the meantime you can read about how one New York times critic got a massive erection whilst watching the film: https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/new-yorker-film-critic-has-reservations-about-childrens-1826963755

bgmnts

I care about The Incredibles about as much as syphilis.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: bgmnts on June 20, 2018, 09:30:20 AM
I care about The Incredibles about as much as syphilis.

How much does syphilis care about The Incredibles?

Replies From View

The woman who played Phyllis in the Office did the voice for a character in Inside Out, not The Incredibles.

YES I AM POSTING THAT IT WILL DO.

Dex Sawash

Elastigirl is Incrediblesly hot despite being a touch too large in the (relaxed) thigh area.

Replies From View

Bit disappointed to learn they didn't set this at least a decade or so after the original film; apparently watching them back to back the actors' voices all change and it's a bit disconcerting.  But then they wouldn't have got the baby antics I suppose.

Dex Sawash

Violet Parr; all growed up

idunnosomename

Well since it's a weird timeless 1950s ambience, I suppose it doesn't matter too much that no time has passed. They swapped out Dash's voice for another kid, though.

A lot of the point of it is that it's about family (no really) and if you have the kids leaving the family unit you're telling a very different story.

Clownbaby

The firest incredibles is my favourite Pixar Film. There's a real smart sexiness to the animation. I hope this sequel is good.

SteveDave

I re-watched "The Incredibles" on Sunday and I'd forgotten that it was almost 2 hours long. When I saw it in the cinema, about an hour in, a child's voice from the back of the cinema piped "This is boring. I am bored" Idiot.

There's a lovely little "Mallrats" reference in it too.