Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:31:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Incredibles 2

Started by Norton Canes, February 16, 2018, 01:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Saw it last night. It deserves an Academy Award Best Picture nomination. And not just for 'best animated feature' or whatever - there surely comes a point where it becomes necessary to recognise that the art of creating a film like this is not down to just pixel-pushing.

Crabwalk

I was pretty engaged by the story, and it featured some very good jokes, but the overall art direction and cinematography is absolutely superb. The absolute opposite of 'rushed'. Every costume, every texture, every lighting decision seemed to have been absolutely slaved over. So beautiful it actually took me out of the story a little. I think I'll enjoy the story and script more on a second watch when I'm less 'dazzled' by it technically.

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 26, 2018, 09:25:07 AM
Saw it last night. It deserves an Academy Award Best Picture nomination. And not just for 'best animated feature' or whatever - there surely comes a point where it becomes necessary to recognise that the art of creating a film like this is not down to just pixel-pushing.

Beauty and the Beast, Up and Toy Story 3 were all nominated for best picture and there's also been screenplay nominations for Toy Story, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Wall-E, Inside Out and Shrek. So that point was reached long ago. I'd be more impressed if they nominated something that wasn't by one of the big studios in the above the line categories. Something like The Breadwinner should have walked into the best picture lineup this year.

Replies From View

Well I personally think the Academy Awards should start up a dedicated "pixel-pushers" category and relegate all Pixar releases to that.

Timothy

Really liked the first movie. Didn't really enjoy the sequel. Don't know why but it just didn't click.
Elastigirl's voice actress was a bit annoying as well.

Looking forward to Wrecking Ralph 2 though.

Thomas

have you seen incredibles 2, stew, it's really good

no i haven't seen 'incredibles 2'

hamfist

Quote from: Crabwalk on July 26, 2018, 09:54:56 PM
I was pretty engaged by the story, and it featured some very good jokes, but the overall art direction and cinematography is absolutely superb. The absolute opposite of 'rushed'. Every costume, every texture, every lighting decision seemed to have been absolutely slaved over. So beautiful it actually took me out of the story a little. I think I'll enjoy the story and script more on a second watch when I'm less 'dazzled' by it technically.

Totally agree. For me it was during Mr Incredible's sleepless night, when he looked at the face of his alarm clock. That clock face was just fucking....beautiful.

madhair60

Thought this was a boring pile of shit sorry

idunnosomename

problem is I usually rely on Red Letter Media for my opinion on new films. But they dont do cartoons because they are so grown-up. Uhhh.

I hate the cinema, it smells and there are children in it

Crabwalk

Quote from: Crabwalk on July 26, 2018, 09:54:56 PM

I am not being paid each time I type the word 'absolutely', by the way.

Replies From View

colacentral

I thought it was rushed too. One shot looked out of focus or as if it was from a rough cut and accidentally got left in; the speed boat on the water towards the end as the kids were going after the big ship was pretty bad, like the speed boat was moving on top of the water rather than through it; and I found some of the facial animations stiff and expressionless, and not matching up particularly well with the voice acting.

I also found the story had huge plot holes in it and was pretty underwhelming, with not much at stake and few interesting set pieces. The Elastigirl and family plot felt too disconnected from each other, and the only significant development by the end of the film being the legalisation thing - which is a plot development, but not character development, of which there was little. I didn't find myself feeling emotionally invested in anyone, and never felt like anyone was really in danger, physically or emotionally.

I also felt that the ending was too abrupt and was surprised that there wasn't any follow up on certain things, like the pizza boy for example. Dicker vanished after 30 minutes and never came back; the superhero side characters were generic and under-utilised; and there wasn't enough of a payoff to the baby's powers either.

It felt really unpolished by Pixar standards, a straight to video sequel on a higher budget. I wouldn't be surprised if this was an Emperor's New Groove situation with lots of rewrites.

St_Eddie

Fry

I really enjoyed it, personally. Thought it was absolutely gorgeous to look at, and while I could kind of see the resolution from half-way in (although, admittedly I did suspect both the Weaver siblings were villains) I found the plot engaging enough and the set pieces thrilling and inventive enough to enjoy it for pretty much it's entire runtime. I loved the way they used the powers of the various heroes, especially Elastigirl during the runaway train sequence. The animation during that part was scrumptious, I never use that word but it was. It was bloody scrumptious. The animation in general was brilliant, a few of the jokes were elevated in a way that only great physical performers manage in live-action films. Didn't even get antsy once the second hour mark passed, which happens with regularity now-a-days.

Although, the one major drawback was Elastigirl's voice was so. fucking. irritating. From her first line I found myself cringing every time she spoke. It was like she had a mouth full of frozen peas, slurring like a lush after going ten rounds in the ring. Urgh! I never noticed it in the previous film, which is by far my favourite Pixar movie, but in this one it took real effort to overlook it.

But overall, pretty good.

Norton Canes

Quote from: colacentral on July 30, 2018, 01:49:19 AM
I thought it was rushed too. One shot looked out of focus or as if it was from a rough cut and accidentally got left in; the speed boat on the water towards the end as the kids were going after the big ship was pretty bad, like the speed boat was moving on top of the water rather than through it; and I found some of the facial animations stiff and expressionless, and not matching up particularly well with the voice acting

I noticed the spray (spume?) coming off the speedboat didn't look like it integrated with the surface of the sea properly at all. I wonder if the final reel was set on a boat out at sea so they wouldn't have to include so many backgrounds..?

And yeah, Winston Deavour in particular looked a bit (virtually) wooden. I think the stylised look of the film actually worked better, in some respects, with the lower resolution of the original. 

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Fry on July 30, 2018, 09:16:05 PM
Although, the one major drawback was Elastigirl's voice was so. fucking. irritating. From her first line I found myself cringing every time she spoke. It was like she had a mouth full of frozen peas, slurring like a lush after going ten rounds in the ring. Urgh! I never noticed it in the previous film, which is by far my favourite Pixar movie, but in this one it took real effort to overlook it.

That was my big issue with the film, I couldn't quite get over the fact that Elastigirl sounds like a sixty year old woman, obviously it makes sense as that's how old Holly Hunter is now but it doesn't fit with the look of the character, especially as she doesn't smoke 40 a day. Otherwise I quite enjoyed it but it's definitely not as good as the first film, and the finale was a bit by the numbers and I wasn't that excited by it. The film's still a great deal of fun, but didn't live up to my (admittedly ridiculously high) expectations.

Oh, and it's now "available" to all criminal types btw, hence why I've finally seen it.

olliebean

TBH I enjoyed the end credits music more than the rest of the film, which seemed to have fallen into the big "never mind the script as long as it looks spectacular" hole in the middle of Hollywood.