Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:44:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley trailers on C4 (Friday 11/02/05, 10pm)

Started by Dr David V, January 20, 2005, 05:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Hans"
Quote from: "TJ"
Quote from: "Hans"Say what you like about how The Office was promoted, it never got this kind of pre-hype.
*splutters*
I'm not implying that it didn't get hyped, of course it did, saying otherwise would be stupid.  But it didn't get fucking teaster trailers to get everyone talking about it before they even knew what it was.

It did, though.  A 30-second clip of Martin Freeman doing one of his to-camera bits.  I think I saw this a few *dozen* times in the three weeks before the first one went out ("The Office - Monday 9th July on BBC2").  Anyone who watched S2 of People Like Us in 2001 will remember only too well.

imitationleather

PT, don't you remember No Angels? Y'know, the one about the slaggy nurses who deserved to die for being shit in a shit comedy-drama shit shit shit shit. There was a poster campaign for that a couple of months before broadcast.

Frinky

Quote from: "imitationleather"PT, don't you remember No Angels? Y'know, the one about the slaggy nurses who deserved to die for being shit in a shit comedy-drama shit shit shit shit. There was a poster campaign for that a couple of months before broadcast.

I liked No Angels.

imitationleather

Oh, that's right. Stab me in the heart, why don't you?

gazzyk1ns

I quite liked it as well, I can't remember much about it though. I seem to recall that I would have liked it more if they hadn't tried to shoehorn some typical "Modern adult comedy" moments in, like "haha this old woman's just died because we fucked up... ah well, we'll cut her up with a penknife and stick her in the wheelie-bin, happens all the time, no problems... now who's getting the first round of Breezers in tonight Ange?"

Neil

How long are these teasers likely to run though?  A week?  I wish they'd hurry up and stick the proper ones on so we can start to get a feel for the show.  I am getting quite excited now, although I realised yesterday that the bits Trisha Goddard mentioned in that old thread must have been the best bits, or at least his favourite bits of each episode, and they didn't sound promising at all (people cycling round on tiny BMX's Darkplace-style etc.)  I still don't understand why The Boosh are in this.  I was certainly sick of seeing Morris working with the same old people (and I'm bored shitless of Mark Heap and Kevin Eldon* in particular now anyway), but...The Boosh?   Richard Ayoade?  What is it that Morris and Brooker have seen them in that's made them think they are worth working with?  I just don't get it.  Ayoade and Hairy Boosh in particular seem to be absolutely dreadful.  Where is the new British talent that is actually worth getting excited about?  Is there any?

* although Eldon is in this a bit anyway isn't he?  I am forgetting that Eldon's Law states that 90% of new Channel 4 sitcoms must feature him.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

The episode titles have been confirmed:

1. The Rise of the Idiot
2. In iPod We Trust
3. Spunk, Lies and Videoed Rape
4. Cousin McBarley Comes to Stay
5. A Quiet Night In
6. All's Well That Media-Trends Well

imitationleather

Wow, thanks ELW10!

What with that list and the exclusive preview of the theme tune, this site has certainly got to be THE place for Nathan Barley info!

Rats

haha, cousin mcbarley, they'd save killers like that for series 8.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

It's gonna be a bit weird when Nathan Barley airs and finishes, and once all the vitriol has simmered down. Like the depressed lull after Christmas Day.

Just a fleeting thought.

Neil

I'm wondering what promotional appearances there will be, maybe that third Breezeblock might finally air.  Should be a few Morris interviews in the papers soon as well, hopefully.  Actually, I'm curious to see if he'll be sort of stepping back and letting Brooker handle all that side of things.  I wonder if that map will end up in Loaded or the like.

RHX

Just saw a new one featuring "Nathan and Claire". Could be repeated along with new ones tonight.

Lumiere

I just love how everyone's trashing this show for all it's worth already, before it's even aired, largely on the basis of the 15 second trailer.

butnut

15 seconds? They're barely 2 seconds long so far.

I don't think everyone's trashing it. My reaction was 'OK, when do we actually learn something about the show?'.

slim

Quote from: "Lumiere"I just love how everyone's trashing this show for all it's worth already, before it's even aired, largely on the basis of the 15 second trailer.
I don't remember that happening.

I know my post had it's tongue in it's cheek. I've got a little overexcited about this today and befuddled people who have no idea who Morris is with my enthusiasm.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

Quote from: "Neil"I'm wondering what promotional appearances there will be, maybe that third Breezeblock might finally air.  Should be a few Morris interviews in the papers soon as well, hopefully.  Actually, I'm curious to see if he'll be sort of stepping back and letting Brooker handle all that side of things.  I wonder if that map will end up in Loaded or the like.

Similiarly with the DVD. Will Morris and Brooker do a commentary together, or will it just be Brooker and the cast? In fact, it'll probably be in-character, with Barley and chums commenting on the 'media twats' they're viewing, and we'll be able to hear Brooker giggling in the background.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Lumiere"I just love how everyone's trashing this show for all it's worth already, before it's even aired.

Aaagh.

The Mumbler

Question: Have they appropriated the cast names font from:

a) The A-Team
b) M*A*S*H
or
c) The 1981 TV sitcom spin-off of Private Benjamin.

Rats

Morris has a thing about more than one tab at once doesn't he? I suppose in this case it'll be dan thinking he's cool after watching wild at heart.

slim

Quote from: "The Mumbler"Question: Have they appropriated the cast names font from:

a) The A-Team
b) M*A*S*H
or
c) The 1981 TV sitcom spin-off of Private Benjamin.
Oh, that's it. Show up my limited font knowledge for the joke it clearly is, whydon'tcha? :)

The Mumbler

Sorry, slim.  I can't download the files, so the stills are all I have to go on.  There was me thinking it was a zeppotron invention.

benthalo

Quote from: "The Mumbler"Sorry, slim.  I can't download the files, so the stills are all I have to go on.

With your imagination add nothing to the stills, and you're about there.

The Mumbler

I keep telling myself there are advantages to having a computer which doesn't work the same way as everyone else's.  Just occasionally, someone will confirm this...

slim

Quote from: "The Mumbler"Sorry, slim.  I can't download the files, so the stills are all I have to go on.  There was me thinking it was a zeppotron invention.
Oh no, no problem. It's just I made the observation about the A-Team font earlier but failed to remember it was used in M*A*S*H too. I was just being jokeyjokeypunchyershoulder silly.

This is where I find out you were also being silly and the joke just went right over my head.

Rats

I was orchestrating the whole thing from the sidelines, I just love it when a plan of two people embarrassing each other with confused awkward chuminess comes together.

slim

Quote from: "Rats"I was orchestrating the whole thing from the sidelines, I just love it when a plan of two people embarrassing each other with confused awkward chuminess comes together.
Was it you orchestrating the same at my work the other day? You evul jeenyus.

phalmachine

The bad thing about these trailers is that they'll lead loads of idiots to this website*.  I just Googled the name 'Claire Ashcroft' and one Cook'd and Bomb'd was first on the list.

Anything up about NB on Channel 4's website yet? It doesn't seem to want to work.

*I was one of those idiots about the time of BES.

Jaffa The Cake

Or it might bring some really nice people with differing views to the majority of us. As long as they're not the "You don't think what I think so I'm going to make an over-the-top 'I'm leaving... fuckers' thread" type then it should make for some lively discussion.

And that's my optimistic thought over and done with for 2005.