Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:56:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Neo Geo (Ports)

Started by Shay Chaise, February 19, 2018, 09:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: the on April 17, 2018, 11:09:24 AM
I thought the home cartridges were priced more cheaply than the arcade ones, and they had different pin arrangements to prevent the consumer home carts being used in the MVS?

(With the understanding that the games were nonetheless technically the same, whether experienced at home or in the arcade.)

Yeah, this is the case, you can get adapters to play MVS carts on AES consoles though, and MVS carts also contain the home version code.

buzby

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on April 17, 2018, 12:10:36 PM
Yeah, this is the case, you can get adapters to play MVS carts on AES consoles though, and MVS carts also contain the home version code.

Yes the code is almost always the same for AES & MVS versions, so much so that you can usually transplant the ROMs from an MVS cart onto the PCB from an AES cart or vice versa. It also didn't take long before plug-in adapters became available to do the job (they are basically the two styles of edge connectors with a programmable logic array to replicate the extra signals on the MVS slot).

Ironically, the AES cartridges are now a lot rarer and worth more than most MVS cartridges (complete boxed MVS cartridge kits with the marquee insert and flyers are still worth a lot of money). For example, a mint-condition US-release AES copy of Metal Slug will set you back around £3000