Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:08:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[Radio 4] Will Self's Great British Bus Journey

Started by Sebastian Cobb, February 21, 2018, 12:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Anyone else been listening to these? They seem interesting enough and only about 15 minutes long. Some of it does just seem to be Self sullenly interrogating people on brexit, but on the whole radio seems like a good medium for old Selfy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05w5zkw

Hobo With A Shit Pun

I caught one of these last week, and loved the bit where he was interviewing people who worked for a charity aiding economically disenfranchised yoof. Because the charity in question was lottery funded, he turned on them, highlighting how the lottery receives disproportionate custom from those down round the poverty line and demanding to know if they themselves, comfortable middle class folk that they were, ever bought a ticket.  Not a slant on their role they were expecting, by the sound of it. But interesting.

poo

bgmnts

Went through the first few episodes. I could listen to Self talk to randomers about national identity all day.

Always surprises me how affable and funny he is. Raised a good view points. The stuff about Welsh identity i was quite intrigued by, made me think a lot.

doppelkorn

Had the tab open on my work computer but didnt get round to them. Are they good yeah? Any ones to start with?

bgmnts

The first one is usually the one to start with.

shh

Well I listened to the final one first. He has quite a compelling (narrative) voice, and pretty even handed too. Reminds me that I haven't read anything of his since Book of Dave.

Malcy

Best bus journey for Will Self would be one that takes him somewhere that might put a smile on the miserable bastards face.

doppelkorn

Been working through these quite slowly. Will be good once he gets into a bit more meat. Right now he just floats through each town, chats to some people in a brief but interesting ways, muses a bit, then moves on.