Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:59:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Surgery

phantom_power

Which version? According to this the Fats Domino one has Cornelius Coleman as the drummer

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2078

Gregory Torso

How obscure do you want to go because I remember being absolutely bowled over by the fact that Warren Fischer, half of dodgy electro band Fischerspooner, was the (extremely talented) bassist in the amazing 90s noise rock outfit Table.

(Although if there's anyone else on this board that knows or gives a shit about that I'll probably be even more hat-fucked)

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: phantom_power on February 21, 2018, 09:10:33 AM
Which version? According to this the Fats Domino one has Cornelius Coleman as the drummer

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2078

Should probably have titled the thread 'Things I Just Read On Wikipedia'

Their source is the Independent website, which currently features such compelling items as 'This might be the most annoying video you'll ever watch' and 'Sylvester Stallone is not dead'

Sebastian Cobb

Chas and Dave were skilled session musicians and worked on Labi Siffre's I Got The, which provided the main sample in Eminem's My Name Is.

Howj Begg

Albert out of Twin Peaks (Miguel Ferrer) drummed on Keith Moon's solo album. Oh and he was the son of Jose Ferrer and Rosemary Clooney.

Neville Chamberlain

The chap who plays one of the detectives in the rubbish Netflix four-parter Retribution, which I sat through gawdknowswhy, used to play guitar in The Fall!!! Mind you, you could say that about practically anyone.

poodlefaker

Herbie Flowers played bass on Serge Gainsbourg's Melody Nelson and Lou Reed's Transformer, and also wrote "Grandad" for Clive Dunn.

ajsmith2

Quote from: poodlefaker on February 21, 2018, 09:58:58 AM
Herbie Flowers played bass on Serge Gainsbourg's Melody Nelson and Lou Reed's Transformer, and also wrote "Grandad" for Clive Dunn.

With lyrics by Ken Pickett of The Creation.

On a related note, Johnny Byrne who wrote several Space 1999 and Dr Who episodes in the 70s and 80s, was The Creations managed for a bit circa 1966.

ajsmith2

The Small Faces original keyboardist Jimmy Winston later played one of the rebels in the 1972 Dr Who story Day of the Daleks. He's the one that blows up the house right at the end.

Gregory Torso

Smashing Pumpkins - the "smashing" is an adjective, not a verb. It's like Peter Sallis named them.

Bobtoo

My favourite recent hatfucking discovery is that Midge Ure was in Thin Lizzy for a while.

SteveDave

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on February 21, 2018, 09:56:31 AM
The chap who plays one of the detectives in the rubbish Netflix four-parter Retribution, which I sat through gawdknowswhy, used to play guitar in The Fall!!! Mind you, you could say that about practically anyone.

According to the commentary, one of the people on the same Restart course as Mickey and Ross in the first episode of the first series of The League Of Gentlemen was a drummer in the Fall at some point.

AsparagusTrevor

I think most people have been in The Fall at some point.

LORD BAD VIBE

George Michael's favourite album was Closer by Joy Division

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: SteveDave on February 21, 2018, 02:49:47 PM
According to the commentary, one of the people on the same Restart course as Mickey and Ross in the first episode of the first series of The League Of Gentlemen was a drummer in the Fall at some point.

Tom Head ( now dead ).

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The bloke who played Norm in " Cheers " was a big fan of U S hard-core punk bands, and was a regular attender of gigs by such types. One of his favourite groups is the Minutemen.

Icehaven

I remember being amazed to discover Fatboy Slim used to be in The Housemartins, and that Vince Clarke was in Depeche Mode (and Yazoo) before Erasure (although Yazoo was less surprising). Johnny Marr turning up in Modest Mouse for a while was unexpected too.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Bobtoo on February 21, 2018, 02:26:43 PM
My favourite recent hatfucking discovery is that Midge Ure was in Thin Lizzy for a while.

Slik-Rich Kids-Thin Lizzy- Visage- Ultravox. He was the Forrest Gump of late 70s/early 80s pop.

Crabwalk

I was completely oblivious to actress/Spitting Image stalwart Kate Robbins' musical career until she popped up on a 1981 TOTP the other week. Went on to discover that she provides backing vocals on The Mighty Wah's 'The Story of the Blues'!

alan nagsworth

The frontman for now-disbanded and actually-very-good-despite-their-name indie band Dananananaykroyd is also the breakcore/IDM producer Acrnym. Probably not something most people on here would give a ha'penny jizz about, but I was bowled over when I heard that. He's also a Cardiacs fan, which I learned when I saw him play a set wearing a Cardiacs shirt, and complimented him both for his set and for his shirt.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 21, 2018, 09:33:12 AM
Chas and Dave were skilled session musicians and worked on Labi Siffre's I Got The, which provided the main sample in Eminem's My Name Is.

A fact that I continue to remind Golden E Pump of to which he always replies "Yes mate I know that" and I laugh but he doesn't.

ajsmith2

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 21, 2018, 05:46:04 PM
The frontman for now-disbanded and actually-very-good-despite-their-name indie band Dananananaykroyd is also the breakcore/IDM producer Acrnym. Probably not something most people on here would give a ha'penny jizz about, but I was bowled over when I heard that. He's also a Cardiacs fan, which I learned when I saw him play a set wearing a Cardiacs shirt, and complimented him both for his set and for his shirt.

I used to be in a group with their guitarist Duncan Robertson!

I'm so ignorant that I didn't know Acrnym had gone on to be a bigger deal in another musical sphere though.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 21, 2018, 09:33:12 AM

The ZZ Top's drummer name is Frank Beard of the 2010's.

Quote from: icehaven on February 21, 2018, 03:02:48 PM
I remember being amazed to discover Fatboy Slim used to be in The Housemartins,

I think he has some sort of record for UK #1s under different names -

Housemartins
Beats International
Freakpower
Fatboy Slim

Jockice

Mark E Smith and Pete Waterman used to be drinking buddies.

Jockice

Quote from: Better Midlands on February 21, 2018, 06:32:05 PM
The ZZ Top's drummer name is Frank Beard of the 2010's.

Yeah, but the thing is, he doesn't have a beard. Whereas the other two members of ZZ Top do!

Jockice

Quote from: Gregory Torso on February 21, 2018, 10:17:22 AM
Smashing Pumpkins - the "smashing" is an adjective, not a verb. It's like Peter Sallis named them.

I've never even considered it being a verb. I'm a bit slow sometimes. It was only a couple of years ago I got the 'beautiful Babs' joke from Porridge.