Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:49:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Quote from: Johnboy on December 28, 2020, 07:29:11 AM
Andy Summers of The Police is older than George Harrison.

That's a great one!

Jockice

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on December 26, 2020, 10:10:28 PM
Not quite hat fuckery so much as "Madness nicked part of Roxy Music's Serenade for Uncle Sam, an unfondly remembered anti-American late period single.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v45eYZjdRcA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jtXoHC9210s

They also based Grey Day on The Bogus Man.

NoSleep

And getting older.

Andy Summers was in several bands before joining The Police. I know he was in a very early incarnation of Soft Machine and was also in The Animals for a while.

The Culture Bunker

Still about four years younger than his fellow punk/New Wave bandwagon jumper Jet Black, who was born prior to WWII kicking off.

Mike Post (Rockford Files, Hill Street Blues themes) came fourth in the featherweight division of the 1974 US arm-wrestling championship, according to a contemporary 'America's Top 40' played on Sirius XM yesterday.

famethrowa

And Mick Jagger! Always a hatfucker, he's going to be 78 in a few days. How is that possible

willbo

one little quirk that stays with me, I actually read the Q issue where Robbie Williams was asked if he was "into sodomy". It was one of those "questions sent in by the fans" things, and one of the fans asked "have you ever sodomized a man". He gave some long rambling answer if I recall...I can't remember what he said. The journalist then described being in his studio watching him add a rap onto "kids" and mention the question.

Icehaven

Dusty Substance

phantom_power

The "cu-cu-cucumber, ca-ca-ca-cabbage" and "He's the yo-yo man" bits in the Pavement cover of The Killing Moon aren't just Stephen Malkmus doing some wacky ad-libs but are lyrics from other songs on Ocean Rain, the album TKM is from

Johnboy

Visage, in their early incarnation, included three members of Magazine.

SteveDave

*Taps microphone*
*Clears throat*

Punk rocker Jet Black was born in 1938 making him older than all the Beatles, 4 of the original 5 Rolling Stones and he's 37 days older than OG rock n roll star Eddie Cochran.

When he was 80 someone pointed out that there was another punk rocker who was born in 1934 or sutin but I didn't know who she was so dismissed it.

NoSleep

There's no dismissing Vi Subversa (20 June 1935 – 19 February 2016) and her band Poison Girls.

Stone cold classic: Persons Unknown - Poison Girls

Rizla

Charlie Harper of the UK subs? Born 1944 so a stripling compared to Jet. But (reportedly) a nephew of Cesar Romera aka TV's Batman's The Joker, according to wiki? Well fuck my hat!

George White

Alan Vega, also older than Eddie Cochran.

The DJ member in Limp Bizkit was also the DJ member in House of Pain.

NoSleep

Not a punk rocker but remarkably older than any of these was Ed Cassidy (b. May 4, 1923), the drummer of Spirit, who was a professional musician before Eddie Cochran was born. In 1964 he was in a band (The Rising Sons) that boasted both Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: NoSleep on January 07, 2021, 02:04:32 AM
Not a punk rocker but remarkably older than any of these was Ed Cassidy (b. May 4, 1923), the drummer of Spirit, who was a professional musician before Eddie Cochran was born. In 1964 he was in a band (The Rising Sons) that boasted both Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder.
And he was Spirit frontman Randy California's step-dad, which is certainly an unusual dynamic in a rock band.

NoSleep

And another interesting footnote to that would be that he may have been instrumental in not allowing the 15 year old Randy (on the grounds of finishing high school) to go to London with Jimi Hendrix as Chas Chandler (says wiki) had requested. Wiki also says that some other accounts are that Chandler had only wanted Hendrix (and I remember hearing elsewhere it was Hendrix that wanted Randy to come to London with him). So Ed hijacked Randy's chances there to keep him in the band they had formed together when Randy was 14 which went on to become Spirit.

studpuppet

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 07, 2021, 11:38:10 AM
And he was Spirit frontman Randy California's step-dad, which is certainly an unusual dynamic in a rock band.

cf. Pete Best's sort-of step-dad Neil Aspinall, who despite becoming the father of Pete's half-brother, three weeks later stuck with the Fab Four when they kicked Pete out.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: studpuppet on January 07, 2021, 12:09:32 PM
cf. Pete Best's sort-of step-dad Neil Aspinall, who despite becoming the father of Pete's half-brother, three weeks later stuck with the Fab Four when they kicked Pete out.
I spent about a hour trying to think of this indie band who had the singer's pop in the line up - 'twas Mystery Jets, though it appears the old boy just writes lyrics for them these days.

Dusty Substance

As a collector of cover versions and of songs that were later sampled, I'm surprised it's taken me until today to discover Yvonne Elliman's cover of I Can't Explain and the sample used in Fatboy Slim's Going Out Of My Head.

Not being the biggest Who head, I think I prefer her version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNG73Tn8WCM

Johnny Cash's version of "Ring Of Fire" was a cover of a song written by his future wife, June Carter, and recorded by her sister, Anita.

Jockice

Here's a story mentioning my all-time favourite musical bit of hat fucking, Lena Zavaroni being signed by Stax.
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19000121.spotlight-like-lena-zavaronis-life-stax-tale-triumph-tragedy/

willbo

Michael Bolton was considered as a singer for Black Sabbath after Ozzy (he was singing hard rock at the time and hoping for a Bon Jovi/Whitesnake type career I believe)

George White

Quote from: Jockice on January 10, 2021, 04:19:19 PM
Here's a story mentioning my all-time favourite musical bit of hat fucking, Lena Zavaroni being signed by Stax.
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19000121.spotlight-like-lena-zavaronis-life-stax-tale-triumph-tragedy/
Reminded that Albert Finney did an album on Motown

NoSleep

The Fall were set to sign to Motown then the label heard The Classical.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: willbo on January 10, 2021, 09:26:11 PM
Michael Bolton was considered as a singer for Black Sabbath after Ozzy (he was singing hard rock at the time and hoping for a Bon Jovi/Whitesnake type career I believe)
I thought the story was that Bolton sent in an audition tape when Sabbs were looking for a singer after Dio left? IF that was true, it would have been Bolton singing on the über Sabbath album, Born Again. How Can We Be Lovers If We Can't Be Fiends.

McChesney Duntz

Just found out that David Lee Roth was a secret punk acolyte at the height of Vanhalenmania, including putting up a chunk of his own money to finance an LA punk club, eventually getting Henry Rollins to ghostwrite his memoir, Crazy from the Heat.

markburgle

On the subject of unexpectedly old punks, here's drummer Penny Rimbaud from Crass! Being given a prize on TV by the Beatles! In 1964!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS-mzQl2Ra0