Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:59:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: markburgle on January 28, 2021, 09:16:28 PM
On the subject of unexpectedly old punks, here's drummer Penny Rimbaud from Crass! Being given a prize on TV by the Beatles! In 1964!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS-mzQl2Ra0

Penny Rimbaud is a great bloke. You probably don't know that. But he is.

Christ the new page.

McChesney Duntz

May or may not be the appropriate place for this, but fuggit:

Stewart Lee, from this article - https://www.dazeddigital.com/film-tv/article/51749/1/stewart-lee-michael-cumming-10-cult-documentaries-king-rocker-interview:

Stewart Lee: I managed to get a ridiculous, made-up story about Mark E. Smith from The Fall into Esquire magazine, which then became part of his biography. He was asked about it in interviews, and didn't deny it. Then Steve Hanley, the bass player, in his book, wrote about being present when it happened – but I knew I'd made it up (laughs).

Here's the Esquire article in question: https://www.stewartlee.co.uk/written_for_money/mark-e-smith-man-at-his-best/

Does that mean the "Mark Edward Bear" story is Lee-derived bollocks? (It would seem that Stew left himself an out by saying "it was once imagined...") Or is he lying about the fact that he was lying, just like that Elvis Costello song? Is all of life just a self-negating heavy-meta black hole and I'm just finding this out? Or am I?

Sean Ymphs

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on January 29, 2021, 06:42:43 PM

Does that mean the "Mark Edward Bear" story is Lee-derived bollocks? (It would seem that Stew left himself an out by saying "it was once imagined...") Or is he lying about the fact that he was lying, just like that Elvis Costello song? Is all of life just a self-negating heavy-meta black hole and I'm just finding this out? Or am I?

Franz Kafka, the story goes, encountered a little girl in the park where he went walking daily. She was crying.  She had lost her doll and was desolate.

Kafka offered to help her look for the doll and arranged to meet her the next day at the same spot.  Unable to find the doll he composed a letter from the doll and read it to her when they met.

"Please do not mourn me,  I have gone on a trip to see the world.  I will write you of my adventures."  This was the beginning of many letters.  When he and the little girl met he read her from these carefully composed letters the imagined adventures of the beloved doll.  The little girl was comforted.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kafka-and-the-doll_b_981348

lazyhour

"Now, that story about Mark E Smith wasn't true..."

non capisco

As long as it wasn't the arcade game story from The Big Midweek it's all good. I need that to be true.

turnstyle

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on January 29, 2021, 06:42:43 PM
May or may not be the appropriate place for this, but fuggit:

Stewart Lee, from this article - https://www.dazeddigital.com/film-tv/article/51749/1/stewart-lee-michael-cumming-10-cult-documentaries-king-rocker-interview:

Stewart Lee: I managed to get a ridiculous, made-up story about Mark E. Smith from The Fall into Esquire magazine, which then became part of his biography. He was asked about it in interviews, and didn't deny it. Then Steve Hanley, the bass player, in his book, wrote about being present when it happened – but I knew I'd made it up (laughs).

Here's the Esquire article in question: https://www.stewartlee.co.uk/written_for_money/mark-e-smith-man-at-his-best/

As any Lee and Herring spod (so, basically this message board) will know, here lies the clue to Lee's deception:

Quoteeven though she is now 28 years old

markburgle

Quote from: Jockice on January 29, 2021, 11:41:34 AM
Penny Rimbaud is a great bloke. You probably don't know that. But he is.

Christ the new page.

I met him once. I interned at Southern records, and he came in one day and I chatted to him a bit in the kitchen. On a later occasion me and a mate took Dial House at their word on the whole open-house thing and turned up somewhat-embarrassingly wielding a half-drunk bottle of wine on a Sunday afternoon, which my mate even-more-embarrassingly managed to spill over the kitchen table. Gee Vaucher (who was the only one home) had to clear it up. She was trying to prepare for an exhibition and let us interrupt her for half an hour to bollock on about Crass and creative ambitions and stuff (well me really, matey didn't know who Crass were)

Jockice

Quote from: markburgle on February 02, 2021, 10:08:05 PM
I met him once. I interned at Southern records, and he came in one day and I chatted to him a bit in the kitchen. On a later occasion me and a mate took Dial House at their word on the whole open-house thing and turned up somewhat-embarrassingly wielding a half-drunk bottle of wine on a Sunday afternoon, which my mate even-more-embarrassingly managed to spill over the kitchen table. Gee Vaucher (who was the only one home) had to clear it up. She was trying to prepare for an exhibition and let us interrupt her for half an hour to bollock on about Crass and creative ambitions and stuff (well me really, matey didn't know who Crass were)

I've never actually met Penny but my degree dissertation (circa 2003. I was a mature student doing it part-time) was on the politics of punk, so I wrote to him asking for a couple of quotes. I was quite surprised that he rang me at home one evening and we had a chat and a few exchanges of correspondence  He was incredibly helpful. When I got the result - 75% with a rave review from the supervisor - I rang him up to say thanks. I left a message and once more he rang me back and was very nice.

Now, here's the thing. He asked me if I'd mind sending him a copy of my dissertation. I said yes but then didn't. I did have a lot of personal stuff going on at the time and I just never got round to photocopying the thing. I felt shit about that for years. I had help from members of other bands (The Undertones, Buzzcocks, Sham 69 to name but a few, and even Bob Geldof) but Penny was the only one who asked to see what I'd written. I left it so long that I don't even know where my copy is and it would be a bit stupid anyway sending it saying: "Sorry for the decade and a half delay there."

Anyway, about a year ago I discovered he has a personal Twitter page so followed him and sent a message apologising and explaining. I heard nothing back for about three weeks and got this: "Dear Jockice, thanks for the message. No need to apologise. I'm happy that I was able to helpout with you. Love, blessings and joy, Penny."

He now follows me as well, although I rarely tweet. What a guy.

Chicory

I've spent the last almost eleven years convinced that 'Sprawl II' by Arcade Fire is a song by The Knife.  Would've put money on it.  Might explain why I always had great difficulty tracking it down.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on January 27, 2021, 06:49:18 PM
Just found out that David Lee Roth was a secret punk acolyte at the height of Vanhalenmania, including putting up a chunk of his own money to finance an LA punk club, eventually getting Henry Rollins to ghostwrite his memoir, Crazy from the Heat.
I'm not doubting your source, but if there was ever an autobiography that more closely matched its subject's voice, I've yet to read it - plus, Rollins feels like he was a busier guy in the 90s than DLR so it's a weird match. He's listed on some publisher's website as writing the foreword (don't remember the version I read as having a foreword, but maybe it was short).

willbo

Van Halen's debut did have a song called Atomic Punk on it...

Famous Mortimer

Blue Swede didn't write "Hooked On A Feeling". Hut unfucked at this news, but they didn't even come up with the "ooka-chaka" bit, not present on the original recording. That innovation was courtesy of former CaBber Jonathan King, who recorded a version in 1971!

Also, the B-side of King's 7" is "I Don't Want To Be Gay", whose lyrics appear to use "gay" the old fashioned way, but whose meaning may be slightly earthier.

jenna appleseed

Just discovered a folk album with a cover showing people about to get burnt in a wicker man, came out just before they even started thinking about making the film.

Does Jonny Trunk know about this?

https://www.discogs.com/The-Druids-Burnt-Offering/release/4469871

popcorn

kidsick5000

Many people have wondered why there is no studio version of Elton John's Bennie And The Jets available, only a 'live' version.
But that is the studio version.
Producer Gus Dudgeon faked a live atmosphere using crowd noise from a Jimi Hendrix concert.

kidsick5000

Also, I have literally just discovered that the lyrics in Billie Jean are not
"but the sheriff's not my son."

famethrowa

The last 3 chords of the last chorus of Strawberry Fields Forever? D E D

I buried Paul, indeed

pupshaw

From Bev Bevan Wikipedia page
QuoteBevan rejoined Black Sabbath briefly in 1987, recording percussion overdubs for album The Eternal Idol,
but was replaced by Terry Chimes after refusing to play shows in South Africa, at the time under apartheid rule

Tory Crimes toured apartheid South Africa? Maybe not so suprising.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: pupshaw on March 15, 2021, 06:16:30 PM
From Bev Bevan Wikipedia page
Tory Crimes toured apartheid South Africa? Maybe not so suprising.

From https://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/forum/black-sabbath-discussions/black-sabbath-general/18341-1986-black-sabbath-sun-city-tour

QuoteTerry Chimes (The Clash) played the drums. Bev who was the drummer refused to play in Sun City
Tony Martin on vocals.
Tony Iommi as always was at the guitar helm.
Geoff Nicholls on keyboards
Bass duties were on Dave Spitz.

Hardly Black Sabbath, is it? Iommi's gone on my shit list, though.

ETA: As a die-hard Headonite, Terry Chimes being a cunt doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

popcorn

The video for the Offspring song Hit That was clearly shot in the UK, but seemingly they tried to disguise this by adding US props like a stop sign, trash cans, white picket fence and a US fire hydrant. Even though a UK hydrant is visible in the next shot.

Reading up on the video, it was indeed created a British production company, so my best guess is that the label asked them to try to make it look like America or something since the Offspring have an all-American image.

NoSleep

Just search for his name in the members list.

Pauline Walnuts

The listing crumbling castle building thingy on Dead can Dance's Spleen and Ideal was one of the Grain lifter silo or suchlike at the Salford docks.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on March 27, 2021, 06:08:34 PM
The listing crumbling castle building thingy on Dead can Dance's Spleen and Ideal was one of the Grain lifter silo or suchlike at the Salford docks.

Now you have to watch that arsehole Dan Walker from there every morning.

studpuppet

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 27, 2021, 10:24:51 AM
What? You're going to have to explain that.

This never gets old - as if the current membership weren't odious enough. It's like being an Arsenal fan and discovering that Osama Bin Laden isn't your most objectionable celebrity fan.

JaDanketies

The OMD song Enola Gay was released 35 years after the Hiroshima bombing, and the song itself is 41 years old. So the OMD song was closer to Hiroshima than to the current day.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Talking of OMD, I never knew two of them founded and wrote for Atomic Kitten[nb]probably already mentioned in this thread  but just read it and came racing to post it[/nb]

buzby

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on March 27, 2021, 06:08:34 PM

Grain Elevator No. 2. see this post for more details.

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on March 28, 2021, 04:07:19 PM
Talking of OMD, I never knew two of them founded and wrote for Atomic Kitten[nb]probably already mentioned in this thread  but just read it and came racing to post it[/nb]
I don't consider Stewart Kershaw a proper member of OMD - he was one of the members of Raw Unlimited who McCluskey brought in for his awful early 90s period after he had pissed everybody else off enough that they left.

Atomic Kitten was actually Karl Bartos' suggestion as an outlet for McCluskey's more pop-oriented songs afte OMD were cast onto the chart scrapheap.

kngen

Quote from: Jockice on February 03, 2021, 12:45:14 PM
I've never actually met Penny but my degree dissertation (circa 2003. I was a mature student doing it part-time) was on the politics of punk, so I wrote to him asking for a couple of quotes. I was quite surprised that he rang me at home one evening and we had a chat and a few exchanges of correspondence  He was incredibly helpful. When I got the result - 75% with a rave review from the supervisor - I rang him up to say thanks. I left a message and once more he rang me back and was very nice.

Now, here's the thing. He asked me if I'd mind sending him a copy of my dissertation. I said yes but then didn't. I did have a lot of personal stuff going on at the time and I just never got round to photocopying the thing. I felt shit about that for years. I had help from members of other bands (The Undertones, Buzzcocks, Sham 69 to name but a few, and even Bob Geldof) but Penny was the only one who asked to see what I'd written. I left it so long that I don't even know where my copy is and it would be a bit stupid anyway sending it saying: "Sorry for the decade and a half delay there."

Anyway, about a year ago I discovered he has a personal Twitter page so followed him and sent a message apologising and explaining. I heard nothing back for about three weeks and got this: "Dear Jockice, thanks for the message. No need to apologise. I'm happy that I was able to helpout with you. Love, blessings and joy, Penny."

He now follows me as well, although I rarely tweet. What a guy.

I interviewed him a while ago, and he really is a lovely bloke. Probably one of the most inspiring interviews I ever did. Came away from it more positive about humanity that I ever thought possible.