Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:51:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 06, 2021, 05:05:25 PM
Rhys Ifans was in an early line-up of Super Furry Animals. He was the lead singer.
And Guto and Daf were in Catatonia.

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on April 06, 2021, 01:46:00 PM

Stevie Wonder's song 'He's Misstra Know-It-All' is not called 'He's Mister Know-It-All'. It's called 'He's Misstra Know-It-All'.

It's like he took inspiration from the oft misconceived spelling of his own first name (which is a previous hat fucking entry on here I think).

"Mr and Mrs Morris, what do you wish to name your son?"

"Stev..."

"Ah Steve, a lovely first name"

"Uh no it's Stevland actually"

famethrowa

Quote from: daf on April 06, 2021, 09:35:42 PM
Barbra Streisand recorded a version of John Lennon's Mother!

Wow! And how awful it is. Why do "people" (geddit) think she's a good singer? Her large serving of ham works even worse on this, I'd rather have poor old John spilling his heart all over the piano while Klaus and Ringo plod away, eyes to the floor.

Dusty Substance

According to this Trash Theory video on the legacy of X Ray Spex (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA-rRijxf70), Poly Styrene was only 4ft5". I mean, she obviously wasn't a giant, but 4ft5" is tiny - Five inches shorter than Danny DeVito.

It's possible that Trash Theory got the wrong info, but his videos are usually well researched.

The Culture Bunker

If she was 4ft 5in, then all the lads in the band must have been about 5ft 5in tops.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 07, 2021, 09:40:01 PM
If she was 4ft 5in, then all the lads in the band must have been about 5ft 5in tops.

Yeah, doesn't ring true. I know someone who was good friends with Poly. I'll ask him next time I see him.

bakabaka

Devo recorded Easy Listening versions of their early songs to play over the PA before their gigs in order to stop the venues playing real Muzak. The tracks became so popular that they released them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eULilLiRdv8

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Dusty Substance on April 07, 2021, 09:55:24 PM
Yeah, doesn't ring true. I know someone who was good friends with Poly. I'll ask him next time I see him.

Had it confirmed - She was probably around 4ft10" at the absolute smallest.

Johnboy

From listening to Thomas Dolby's audiobook I have just found out that he is most certainly no relation to the Dolby of Dolby Sound no-tape-hiss crowd which up until now I had thought he was.

He was actually sued by them in the 80s and was berated bitterly by Dolby himself during an out of court meeting.

His real name is Tom Robertson and gained the nickname Dolby because he was musically geeky and carried around a tape recorder when he was younger.

Hat f***d.

(I can't remember whether I read it in the 80s that he was related to Dolby or whether I just made it up then 'cos I wanted it to be true and pre internet you just made your own connections.)

pupshaw

Quote from: Johnboy on April 17, 2021, 08:12:09 PM
From listening to Thomas Dolby's audiobook I have just found out that he is most certainly no relation to the Dolby of Dolby Sound no-tape-hiss crowd which up until now I had thought he was.

He was actually sued by them in the 80s and was berated bitterly by Dolby himself during an out of court meeting.

His real name is Tom Robertson and gained the nickname Dolby because he was musically geeky and carried around a tape recorder when he was younger.

Hat f***d.

(I can't remember whether I read it in the 80s that he was related to Dolby or whether I just made it up then 'cos I wanted it to be true and pre internet you just made your own connections.)

I remember the fracas, and he said something along the lines of "Marilyn Monroe didn't have to get permission from Monroe Shock Absorbers, and that wasn't her real name either" and of course he was right, but lost

popcorn

Quote from: Johnboy on April 17, 2021, 08:12:09 PM

I've listened to that audiobook too, and in fact I wasn't familiar with him until he appeared on the Adam Buxton podcast. I had always assumed he was connected to Dolby the company, and since mentioning the guy and his fascinating life story to other people, it seems to be a widely shared misconception. TBH it makes me think the the company's concern was fairly reasonable.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: popcorn on April 17, 2021, 10:04:29 PM
I had always assumed he was connected to Dolby the company, and since mentioning the guy and his fascinating life story to other people, it seems to be a widely shared misconception. TBH it makes me think the the company's concern was fairly reasonable.

Same here. Similarly, Aphex Twin nicked part of his name from Aphex Systems (a maker of pro audio gear) and his album sleeves mention that 'Aphex' is a trademark of the latter. Not sure if he has to pay them a licence fee or not but - unlike Dolby - I'd never heard the name prior to the musician using it.

Jockice

The Comsat Angels had to become CS Angels, Dream Command and then briefly The Headhunters because the global satellite company Comsat objected to their name. Not sure if they had to pay the company off or what. I'd love to ask but they don't talk to me anymore. Apart from their keyboardist Andy and I haven't seen him for years.

They were also sued by the cast of 70s-80s nursing drama Angels. Possibly.

JesusAndYourBush

I'd heard that Thomas Dolby had had legal shenanigans with Dolby Labs so I knew he wasn't related, but I always still assumed it was his real name.

Quote from: pupshaw on April 17, 2021, 08:57:37 PM
I remember the fracas, and he said something along the lines of "Marilyn Monroe didn't have to get permission from Monroe Shock Absorbers, and that wasn't her real name either" and of course he was right, but lost

The difference being she didn't get the Monroe name as a nickname from her friends because she was always in the back of a car helping to test the shock absorbers!  (At least I assume she didn't!)

kalowski

She could test my shock absorbers!

Not now. She's been dead 60 years.

studpuppet

Quote from: kalowski on April 18, 2021, 12:52:21 PM
She could test my shock absorbers!

Not now. She's been dead 60 years.

If she was embalmed, she could still be used as ballast.

Laura Ballance from Superchunk and Pumpkin Wentzel from Guvner appeared in a film* with Naomi Campbell and Donald Trump.

X-Girl (1995)

*I say 'film', it seems like it was more of a short commercial for Kim Gordon's clothing line, X-Girl. Still pretty weird.

Jockice

Damian O'Neill of The Undertones was asked by Kevin Rowland to join Dexys Midnight Runners after the 'tones split up. But he opted to continue working with bassist Mickey Bradley in a short-lived act called Eleven and then team up with his brother John again in what became That Petrol Emotion. I thought I knew my Undertones trivia but I'd never seen that till yesterday.

(Although the song Soul Seven on The Sin Of Pride is apparently about Dexys, I didn't know they were mutual friends/fans.)

Fr.Bigley

Patti Smith and Chrissie Hynde are not the same person

buzby

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 18, 2021, 12:46:31 PM
I'd heard that Thomas Dolby had had legal shenanigans with Dolby Labs so I knew he wasn't related, but I always still assumed it was his real name.

The difference being she didn't get the Monroe name as a nickname from her friends because she was always in the back of a car helping to test the shock absorbers!  (At least I assume she didn't!)
The issue with Thomas Dolby and Dolby Labs is that they both operated in the same industry (see also the long running Apple Computer vs Apple Corp case, after Apple Computer moved into music distribution). It's harder to sue somebody for trademark infringement if they are using the same name in a completely different sphere of business that the claimant has no interests in.

The Monroe Auto Equipment Company took it's name from the town it was founded (Monroe, Michigan), rather than ther name of it's founder (August F. Meyer), so would also probably have had a hard time in court if they objected to someone else using the name. Monroe was also Norma Jean Baker's mother's maiden name, which is why she chose to use it at the start of her acting career.

Pauline Walnuts

Brassy of 'Play Some D' semi-Fame were a Manchester (UK) band.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 20, 2021, 09:53:59 PM

What led you into finding this out? Consider my hat spunked/gunked.

non capisco

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 20, 2021, 09:53:59 PM

The singer Muffin Spencer was Jon Spencer of Jon Spencer Blues Explosion's sister, so not entirely.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on April 20, 2021, 10:48:23 PM
What led you into finding this out? Consider my hat spunked/gunked.

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw8htwx9CRY where they mention it.

An elegant record of a more simple time when people weren't recording everything on their phones, I wish I could go back blah blah.

Wonder what Muffin is doing now?

phantom_power

The last I heard was that she was living with some man on Drury Lane

SteveDave

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 21, 2021, 10:55:19 AM

An elegant record of a more simple time when people weren't recording everything on their phones, I wish I could go back blah blah.

Here's an interview with her from January 2021 https://www.abc.net.au/doublej/music-reads/features/brassy-muffin-spencer-work-it-out-play-some-d/13083440

V

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 18, 2021, 12:46:31 PM
I'd heard that Thomas Dolby had had legal shenanigans with Dolby Labs

Ancient hiss story.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on April 21, 2021, 10:55:19 AM

One of them, think she was called Karen, used to work in Cafe Pop on Oldham Street.

Kankurette

Yep. Manc band, American singer.

My FMH moment this week: the Smashing Pumpkins were banned from playing Disarm on TOTP because the lyrics were offensive.

Chicory

Patti "Because The Night" Smith isn't in fact married to tennis doer John McEnroe.