Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:44:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Where the fuck is the 1 in Bone Machine?

phantom_power

The start of the guitar riff?

The woman speaking Japanese at the start of It's No Game by Bowie is the woman on the front of Kimono My House by Sparks

NoSleep

I think it's where the snare hits, but there's some oddness at the pauses and turnarounds between the easily-counted sections. Those turnarounds might be what's throwing you. I didn't count through them but they might not be the same meter as the more straightforward sections.

popcorn

Quote from: NoSleep on April 26, 2021, 11:42:33 AM
I think it's where the snare hits,

Is it though?

I always interpreted the drum/bass intro as a classic metric fakeout - you start off thinking the snare is on the backbeat (per convention), and then when the guitar enters, you realise you've been counting it wrong.

But my professional drummer friend reckons it's the very rarely spotted reverse metric fakeout, where the song starts off having you count in the right place, then wrongfoots you.

NoSleep

Quote from: popcorn on April 26, 2021, 11:49:39 AM
But my professional drummer friend reckons it's the very rarely spotted reverse metric fakeout, where the song starts off having you count in the right place, then wrongfoots you.

That's what I was trying to say (and the snare is on the one).

popcorn

With the snare on the 1? That's not what I'm proposing. I'm wondering if the snare is on the backbeat after all.

NoSleep

Quote from: popcorn on April 26, 2021, 11:58:23 AM
With the snare on the 1? That's not what I'm proposing. I'm wondering if the snare is on the backbeat after all.

Other things (like the vocals) come in and out on the same 1 as the snare. There are chord changes on that 1.

NoSleep

The best track to ponder where the one is must be Heart Of Darkness by Pere Ubu (I don't think the band even know, until about halfway through):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISXBgaXN_Mc

popcorn

Quote from: popcorn on April 26, 2021, 11:49:39 AM

Quote from: NoSleep on April 26, 2021, 11:57:26 AM
That's what I was trying to say

Quote from: NoSleep(and the snare is on the one)

Struggling to reconcile these statements. The reverse fakeout theory says the snare is on the backbeat, not the one. How can you agree with both?

NoSleep

Surely that's a double negative, so the snare is on the one?

NoSleep

If a song really wrongfoots you, you can usually tell because there's something weird about the feel, whereas in this case it feels solid with the snare on the one.

popcorn

Quote from: NoSleep on April 26, 2021, 12:12:28 PM
Surely that's a double negative, so the snare is on the one?

u wot mate??

There are two possibilities:

1) The way I always heard it (which you're arguing is correct): the snare is on the one, but the drum intro makes it sound like it's on the backbeat until the guitar enters.

2) The opposite, and the way my drummer mate argues is correct: the snare is on the backbeat, which is clear until the guitar enters, after which it sounds like it's the one but it actually isn't. I am struggling to feel/hear this version though.

Kankurette

The Dreaming was originally going to be called The Abo Song until Kate Bush found out that 'Abo' is a slur.

popcorn

I'm fairly certain that if Kurt Cobain had lived he would have spent the last 20 years making deranged electronic music.

NoSleep

Quote from: popcorn on April 26, 2021, 12:22:36 PM
u wot mate??

There are two possibilities:

1) The way I always heard it (which you're arguing is correct): the snare is on the one, but the drum intro makes it sound like it's on the backbeat until the guitar enters.

2) The opposite, and the way my drummer mate argues is correct: the snare is on the backbeat, which is clear until the guitar enters, after which it sounds like it's the one but it actually isn't. I am struggling to feel/hear this version though.

On live versions (see youtube) it's more like your drummer mate is right. It sounds genuinely off if you try to count the one on the snare. Not really true of the studio recording.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: popcorn on April 26, 2021, 05:55:36 PM
I'm fairly certain that if Kurt Cobain had lived he would have spent the last 20 years making deranged electronic music.

Yeah, but he wouldn't be ripping off Ian Van Dahl 20 year, errr. yes, sorry he would, wouldn't he?

popcorn

Quote from: NoSleep on April 26, 2021, 06:34:01 PM
On live versions (see youtube) it's more like your drummer mate is right. It sounds genuinely off if you try to count the one on the snare. Not really true of the studio recording.

He cites live versions as evidence for his case but I still can't feel it. My Mind Is Perplexed.

Little by Little by Radiohead is another case of weird secret syncopation that is basically impossible to hear in the studio version but feels very different live.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: phantom_power on April 26, 2021, 11:16:25 AM
The start of the guitar riff?

The woman speaking Japanese at the start of It's No Game by Bowie is the woman on the front of Kimono My House by Sparks

FMH! Which one, the one who's letting one rip or the one who's horrified?

Egyptian Feast

It's the one on the right, according to this. I love that intro and that cover, so this is pleasing news.

phantom_power

Bernice Bobs Her Hair by The Divine Comedy is based on an F Scott Fitzgerald short story of the same name. I was a bit disappointed when I found out as I thought it was a really interesting subject matter for a pop song but when it is just cribbed from someone else it is less impressive

daf

Plus Lucy, from the same album, has lyrics penned by your actual factual Wordsworth.

(Thinking of it now, didn't Frankie do a similar thing with Coleridge?)

phantom_power

Quote from: daf on May 05, 2021, 03:03:17 PM
Plus Lucy, from the same album, has lyrics penned by your actual factual Wordsworth.

I knew that because I think he is credited as a co-writer, and the words are very "poetic"

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: daf on May 05, 2021, 03:03:17 PM

(Thinking of it now, didn't Frankie do a similar thing with Coleridge?)
The Waterboys, on the 'Fisherman's Blues' album, did a track - 'The Stolen Child' - that was a Yeats poem set to music. Old WB got a co-credit for it, though I wonder who got the cash?

Years later, there was a whole Waterboys album all on the same idea.

daf

And of course Sensual World by Kate Bush - which were originally going to be based on Molly Bloom's soliloquy from the rollicking trouser-dropping farce Ulysses by James Joyce, but, as she was denied permission by the cloth-eared twats running his estate, she had to make up some of her own in his style.

A few years later on the 2010 album Director's Cut she was finally allowed to record a version, re-titled Flower of the Mountain, featuring the original Joyce lyrics . . . which, ironically, aren't a patch on her own knock-off re-creation!

willbo

I don't know how I'm the only person in the world who thinks that Sean Paul's 2002 hit "Get Busy" sounds very similar to the 1990 epic thrash metal album closer "Seasons in the Abyss" by Slayer. When Get Busy first came out I thought the metal fanbase would be full of people shocked and amused at the similarity between the two, but I googled it and there wasn't any mention of it anywhere. I've even played it to Slayer fans who say they can't hear it.

PeterCornelius

Jimmy Page played harmonica on Time Drags By by Cliff and The Shadows
Brian Jones plays saxophone on The Beatles' You Know My Name Look Up The Number
Legendary session drummer Clem Cattini was one of those approached by Peter Grant to join Led Zeppelin
The publishing royalties for Nights in White Satin go to Lonnie Donegan's estate in perpetuity and not to Justin Hayward
Dave Lee Roth is a trained ambulance paramedic
"Eruption" and "You Really Got Me" - tracks 2 and 3 on the first Van Halen album weren't recorded separately. The tape was left running after the dying notes of Eruption, and they went straight into the Kinks cover.
The riff of 'Black Night' by Deep Purple is directly lifted from '(We Ain't Got) Nothin' Yet', recorded by The Spectres (later to become Status Quo) and The Blues Magoos.

kalowski

I knew 2, 5 and 6 and had noticed the similarity between the songs mentioned in 7.

But I'd didn't even know Jimmy Page could play harmonica.