Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:06:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Quote from: PeterCornelius on May 08, 2021, 03:42:08 PM
Brian Jones plays saxophone on The Beatles' You Know My Name Look Up The Number

QuotePaul McCartney : "He arrived at Abbey Road in his big Afghan coat. He was always nervous, a little insecure, and he was really nervous that night because he's walking in on a Beatles session. He was nervous to the point of shaking, lighting ciggy after ciggy. I used to like Brian a lot. I thought it would be a fun idea to have him, and I naturally thought he'd bring a guitar along to a Beatles session and maybe chung along and do some nice rhythm guitar or a little bit of electric twelve-string or something, but to our surprise he brought his saxophone. He opened up his sax case and started putting a reed in and warming up, playing a little bit. He was a really ropey sax player, so I thought, Ah-hah. We've got just the tune."

JaDanketies

Quote from: willbo on May 07, 2021, 10:37:33 AM
I don't know how I'm the only person in the world who thinks that Sean Paul's 2002 hit "Get Busy" sounds very similar to the 1990 epic thrash metal album closer "Seasons in the Abyss" by Slayer. When Get Busy first came out I thought the metal fanbase would be full of people shocked and amused at the similarity between the two, but I googled it and there wasn't any mention of it anywhere. I've even played it to Slayer fans who say they can't hear it.

Lol now you mention it...

Get busy
And forget your name
When da beat drops
Jus keep swingin' it
Let your thoughts drain

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: popcorn on April 26, 2021, 07:23:38 PM
Little by Little by Radiohead is another case of weird secret syncopation that is basically impossible to hear in the studio version but feels very different live.
Iirc, there's a documentary about it on YouTube. There's a live concert where Thom completely buggers up the start, because the audience are clapping in the wrong place (bloody punters), and it takes him ages to get back into the groove.

popcorn

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on May 13, 2021, 12:54:08 PM
Iirc, there's a documentary about it on YouTube. There's a live concert where Thom completely buggers up the start, because the audience are clapping in the wrong place (bloody punters), and it takes him ages to get back into the groove.

that's Videotape!

JaDanketies

I am strongly opposed to audiences clapping along to the beat during live music events.

popcorn

I love this video of Harry Connick Jr pulling a bit of rhythmic sleight of hand to get the audience to clap on the right beat.

If you already know what a backbeat is and how time signatures work you can just watch this shorter clip without all the explanation.

famethrowa

Quote from: popcorn on May 13, 2021, 02:04:27 PM
I love this video of Harry Connick Jr pulling a bit of rhythmic sleight of hand to get the audience to clap on the right beat.

If you already know what a backbeat is and how time signatures work you can just watch this shorter clip without all the explanation.

I hate that voiceover, but yes Harry is a good egg, a proper musician enjoying himself. There's a good bit from him when he's on the judging panel of one of those shows, and Paula Abdul asks him to explain when he talks about the pentatonic scale. Harry goes "ok, you've got 5 notes.... " and Paula is like "nuh uh, you know too much, forget it then"

popcorn

Quote from: famethrowa on May 13, 2021, 02:58:44 PM
I hate that voiceover,

I should clarify, when I said "I love this video" I meant "I love the video of Harry Connick Jr doing this", I turned off that explanatory video after 10 seconds.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 13, 2021, 01:54:17 PM
I am strongly opposed to audiences clapping along to the beat during live music events.

Yes, especially if they then all stand up and sway awkwardly, occasionally putting their hands in the air mouthing 'oooh'. Sit down (or stand at bar ir sides if no seating) or pogo down the front, the only two acceptable gig behaviours.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: PeterCornelius on May 08, 2021, 03:42:08 PM
"Eruption" and "You Really Got Me" - tracks 2 and 3 on the first Van Halen album weren't recorded separately. The tape was left running after the dying notes of Eruption, and they went straight into the Kinks cover.
Huh. I know that they're always played on US classic rock radio as if they're the same song (you never hear one without the other) but I didn't know that.

willbo

Quote from: popcorn on April 26, 2021, 05:55:36 PM
I'm fairly certain that if Kurt Cobain had lived he would have spent the last 20 years making deranged electronic music.

I always imagine him just making these rough, primitive acoustic or garage rock albums that no-one buys but a cult following, like Elliot Smith crossed with Ty Seagall and Captain Beefheart.

JaDanketies

There's footage of Kurt saying that he would like to become a respected singer-songwriter who can release some solo music on an acoustic guitar and for people to take it seriously. Big loss really.

Cuellar

Quote from: popcorn on May 13, 2021, 02:04:27 PM

That's great. Thanks to a comment on the second video I noticed the person in the background celebrating just after he does it.

JaDanketies

You might think that 'All Summer Long' by Kid Rock only samples Sweet Home Alabama - in fact, just preceding the sample, Mr Rock tells us that they were "singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long."

However, it also samples Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon, which has a strikingly-similar riff but was released four years later than Sweet Home Alabama.

George White

1975 Eurovision vvinner Ding Dong by Teach-in, written by Dutch Elvis mourner Danny Mirror

willbo

Thundercat (the modern jazz artist) was in Suicidal Tendencies with his brother

famethrowa

Oz Oz Alice

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 13, 2021, 10:35:51 AM
Lol now you mention it...

Get Busy In The Abyss

If I was actually good at mash-ups I reckon I'd be able to make it work.

popcorn

Quote from: famethrowa on May 26, 2021, 05:17:59 AM
What a rip!

that's mad. always hated that cover and I can't work out if this makes me like it slightly more or even less.

daf

Loads more for me - a proper FMH hiding in plain sight.

Looking at the cover, I previously thought the planets might have been taken from an Old Moore's Almanac or some similar antiquarian wood-cut - but I'd never detected the face and superhero bloke on the other side. *

I wonder how they did it? Easy these days with photoshop, but there's a lot of subtle transparent layers going on - possibly slides projected over each other on a wall, then photographed and airbrushed?

- - - - - - - - -
* Ha! Just spotted the top of the speech bubble on the cover!

popcorn

Not musical, but reminds me of this:

Batman comic:

Sonic Adventure:

buzby

Quote from: daf on May 26, 2021, 10:51:11 AM
Loads more for me - a proper FMH hiding in plain sight.

Looking at the cover, I previously thought the planets might have been taken from an Old Moore's Almanac or some similar antiquarian wood-cut - but I'd never detected the face and superhero bloke on the other side. *

I wonder how they did it? Easy these days with photoshop, but there's a lot of subtle transparent layers going on - possibly slides projected over each other on a wall, then photographed and airbrushed?

- - - - - - - - -
* Ha! Just spotted the top of the speech bubble on the cover!

It was a collage that was hand-tinted and overpainted. They may have transferred the images to large-format transparencies to make the collage.
The band members were adamant that their photograph should not feature on the cover of A Saucerful of Secrets, released in June 1968, but their record label insisted otherwise. As a compromise, Aubrey 'Po' Powell photographed the band in infra-red on London's Hampstead Heath, and surrounded the picture with a collage he calls 'cosmic swirls'. Hipgnosis, the design studio founded by Aubrey 'Po' Powell and Storm Thorgerson, created a hand-tinted collage that reflected both theirs and Pink Floyd's fascinations at the time. Powell remembers:
"Marvel comics featuring the wonderful stories of Stan Lee and the character Dr Strange, alchemy, flying saucers. It was the era of Druids, astrology, the author John Michell and his theories about ley lines. We wanted to blend all these elements together."
https://www.vam.ac.uk/articles/the-graphic-identity-of-pink-floyd
In the early days they were able to use the darkroom at the Royal College of Art where Storm was a film student.....Everything was done by hand: collage, montage, darkroom tricks, multiple exposures, airbrush retouching, hand tinting and mechanical cut-and-paste techniques.
https://makingvinyl.com/speaker/aubrey-powell/
It's not the only link either, as Doctor Strange gets mentioned in the lyrics of Cymbaline from the More soundtrack.

Quote from: Oz Oz Alice on May 26, 2021, 10:33:04 AM
Get Busy In The Abyss

If I was actually good at mash-ups I reckon I'd be able to make it work.

Just looking at that and on whosampled it says that Get Busy sampled The Orb - Majestic - can't hear it myself

https://www.whosampled.com/sample/741753/Sean-Paul-Get-Busy-The-Orb-Majestic/

Pauline Walnuts

Whale once claimed they were called The Southern Whale cult.

Magnum Valentino

I've been listening to Sepultura since I was about 14 and they were one of the very first bands I ever became obsessed by, and they're probably still my favourite band to be honest.

And yet, I never noticed that the three albums that have cover paintings by Michael Whelan all have stone circles on them:

Right side, above eye.

Centre right, below eyes.

Just to the right of your man's head.

Pauline Walnuts

Toca's Miracle was the result of a legally dodgy mash up, of these two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0lYo1NGDhg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAi4d5YacY8

With apparently long lasting legal problems, so the original video isn't available anywhere. Or, as I've just noticed, https://www.discogs.com/Fragma-Tocas-Miracle/release/22695 'This release has been blocked from sale in the marketplace. It is not permitted to sell this item on Discogs.'

Kankurette

Digsy, as in the one Oasis wrote that song about, wasn't just in Smaller, he was in Cook Da Books as well, as in the band who did the theme for Asterix in Britain.

popcorn

Quote from: Kankurette on June 01, 2021, 10:56:07 PM
he was in Cook Da Books as well, as in the band who did the theme for Asterix in Britain.

used to fuckin' love that one.

buzby

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on May 29, 2021, 01:09:46 PM
Toca's Miracle was the result of a legally dodgy mash up, of these two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0lYo1NGDhg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAi4d5YacY8

With apparently long lasting legal problems, so the original video isn't available anywhere. Or, as I've just noticed, https://www.discogs.com/Fragma-Tocas-Miracle/release/22695 'This release has been blocked from sale in the marketplace. It is not permitted to sell this item on Discogs.'
The details of the legal case were mentioned in the 'Mistakes and weird things in songs' thread a couple of years ago when the poor sound quality of that remix came up. Sue Brice, a.k.a. Coco and Greenlight, the label I Need A Miracle was originally released on, took Fragma and their labels Tiger and Positiva to court over the uncleared use of her acappella vocal track (and crediting the vocal to someone else to try and hide the fact).