Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:29:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boki

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 20, 2021, 01:02:58 PM
You might think that 'All Summer Long' by Kid Rock only samples Sweet Home Alabama - in fact, just preceding the sample, Mr Rock tells us that they were "singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long."

However, it also samples Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon, which has a strikingly-similar riff but was released four years later than Sweet Home Alabama.
Seen this?

boki

Quote from: boki on June 03, 2021, 05:21:45 PM
Seen this?
(for the avoidance of blind linkage, it's Pat Finnerty's comprehensive takedown of All Summer Long)

JaDanketies

It was good! I'm watching his video about Weezer now cos I like this song

popcorn

Not really appropriate for this thread but had to mention it somewhere: the beginning of Right Through You - Acoustic by Alanis Morissette is a dead ringer for Blackstar by Bowie.

Fr.Bigley

Sting is actually a work Geordie with a real name. It's Gordon.

Elton John is neither related to Ben nor Olivia.

Bono was a misspelling of Bona (Vacantia) as he was previously a civil servant trying to reunite estranged family with inheritance money. The name sort of stuck.

Ringo Starr is named so as he was riddled with ringworm as a boy and enjoyed Czech lager.

PJ Harvey and Brian Harvey had a baked potato eating competition and both ended up running themselves over on the way to the British awards.

Heather Small hasn't done anything today to make her feel proud...that's why she started M people.

Norton Canes

I think this deserves an airing in 'F*** my Hat...' - as mentioned in the BBC Four TOTP repeats thread, Kenny Thomas performing 'Outstanding' backed by Skin off of out of Skunk Anansie

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 07, 2021, 01:30:04 PM
I think this deserves an airing in 'F*** my Hat...' - as mentioned in the BBC Four TOTP repeats thread, Kenny Thomas performing 'Outstanding' backed by Skin off of out of Skunk Anansie

Shovell from M-People on the bongos too.

non capisco

markburgle

In the 80's, struggling to stay relevant, Slade decided to try turning into the Beastie Boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHgD36S0jU8

non capisco

Quote from: markburgle on June 08, 2021, 02:10:21 PM
In the 80's, struggling to stay relevant, Slade decided to try turning into the Beastie Boys:

Ha ha, fuckin hell. Aw mom, you're just jealous, it's the Bilston Boys.

kidsick5000

The 80s was a very, very awkward time for fashion

crankshaft

Actually more convincing than the Beastie Boys in that era, really.

'Werewolves of London'  sneaks in a word that sounds like 'fucks' (fooks).

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 09, 2021, 01:49:00 AM
Lee Ho Fooks was (I think) the most famous Chinese restaurant in London at the time, which may have been why the name was used rather than it almost sounding like a naughty word.

famethrowa

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 09, 2021, 01:49:00 AM

While we're on that song, the bass and drums were Fleetwood and Mac?? Bye bye hat

non capisco

Homeboy, throw in the towel, your girl got dicked by Donny Powell.

Like that Slade song, not afraid to say so.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 07, 2021, 01:30:04 PM
That's Skin, MBE to you....

Artie Fufkin

cosmic-hearse

Can's Malcolm Mooney appeared in the video to 'Wipe Out' by The Fat Boys / Beach Boys.

The Germs' Pat Smear appeared in the video to 'Raspberry Beret' by Prince.

Peter Cetera from Chicago is wearing a Bauhaus T-shirt in the video of "You're The Inspiration."

buzby

Quote from: Gripperstebson on June 15, 2021, 12:05:14 AM
Peter Cetera from Chicago is wearing a Bauhaus T-shirt in the video of "You're The Inspiration."
Specifically this one, with the front cover art from Bela Lugosi's Dead:

One of the punks at the start is wearing a PIL t-shirt too.

In the car-driving footage in NKOTB's The Right Stuff video, Jordan Knight is wearing this one, with the rear cover art from the single:

According to Peter Murphy, their merchandise was one of the most bootlegged of any band and they never saw a penny from it.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buzby on June 15, 2021, 12:49:19 AMAccording to Peter Murphy, their merchandise was one of the most bootlegged of any band and they never saw a penny from it.
Presumably behind Joy Division/New Order in those stakes, as they (at least back in the 80s, at the behest of Rob Gretton) never released any official merchandise, which caused some issues with the taxman a couple of years later when they wanted to know where all the cash from these t-shirts he was seeing everywhere was.

buzby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 15, 2021, 08:35:13 AM
Presumably behind Joy Division/New Order in those stakes, as they (at least back in the 80s, at the behest of Rob Gretton) never released any official merchandise, which caused some issues with the taxman a couple of years later when they wanted to know where all the cash from these t-shirts he was seeing everywhere was.
Not quite true - one of Gretton's first acts as their manager was to commission Steve McGarry to design a set of 12 badges (which were made by the famous punk badge supplier Better Badges) - these were originally given away on entry to gigs, and at some record shops in Manchester when buying one of their records:

Factory also made some nice enamelled badges early on too. FAC21 was Joy Division's Fractured Music publishing company logo (which also doubled as the first Factory logo)

You are correct though that they didn't start making official promo t-shirts until the release of Substance and True Faith. It was after that got released and they finally got some royalties out of Factory when HMRC came calling.

I think the difference with Bauhaus is that they were trying to sell their own merch at gigs at the time, rather than bootleggers filling the void as in the JD/NO case.

studpuppet

Quote from: buzby on June 15, 2021, 10:51:54 AM

I had an original no. 11 that my cousin's mate gave to me one evening when he found out I liked JD as a spotty 15 your old in 1986. Didn't realise what it was until I'd lost it...

pigamus

Custard

The other day I read that Marc Bolan plays guitar on Nutbush City Limits, and my hat was so fucked that it was blown right up into a tree

Egyptian Feast

Fucking hell, mine's got stuck there too.

Greg Torso

Autechre took their name from disgraced bookshop chain Ottakars.

buzby

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 16, 2021, 04:18:53 PM
The other day I read that Marc Bolan plays guitar on Nutbush City Limits, and my hat was so fucked that it was blown right up into a tree
It's a debated topic. Gloria Jones says it was him, Tony Visconti says it wasn't. The other possibilities are James "Bino" Lewis from Ike's band, or Ike himself.