Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:06:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markburgle

Remember musical punchline Rebecca Black, of "Friday" fame? Well, she's really good now:

https://youtu.be/pEy5x-vTH4g

JaDanketies

Quote from: markburgle on June 17, 2021, 08:13:21 PM
Remember musical punchline Rebecca Black, of "Friday" fame? Well, she's really good now:

Yeah Rebecca Black deserves some appreciation. She was on America's Got Talent and they said she wasn't good enough. The internet was very unfair to her, especially given her age at the time.

timebug

My friend Joe, is a massive Beatles fan. He has probably read every book/magazine/article ever written about them. But he was astounded when, in conversation with a bunch of us old scrotes, someone mentioned that the searing lead guitar work on 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps', was played by George's pal Eric Clapton. He had no idea, and had been convinced for all these years that George had played it!

SteveDave

She toured with Man Man in 2019 too.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: timebug on June 18, 2021, 09:13:33 AM
My friend Joe, is a massive Beatles fan. He has probably read every book/magazine/article ever written about them. But he was astounded when, in conversation with a bunch of us old scrotes, someone mentioned that the searing lead guitar work on 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps', was played by George's pal Eric Clapton. He had no idea, and had been convinced for all these years that George had played it!

The slide guitar on Strawberry Fields isn't George either, it's one of the sound effects on the Mellotron.  See if that fucks his hat!

JesusAndYourBush

She released a set of nude playing cards recently.  They sold out in less than an hour.  She naughtily didn't disclose that they weren't photos of her, just drawings by someone else.

And she posted this slightly comical video but I don't know enough about ASMR to know if she's taking the piss or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVDPa1ieymk

lazyhour

Yes, he ruins the track. His guitar playing just doesn't suit the Beatles vibe at all.

markburgle

Before she was Poly Styrene, Marianne Joan Elliott-Said had a go at being reggae artist Mari Elliot, complete with Sting-style fake reggae accent (true she was "blacker" than Sting, but her Dad was Somalian apparently, not Jamaican):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbXe3IzAhQw

famethrowa

Wait until he hears about George's second solo album, not only did he not compose it, he barely even played on it!

Quote from: lazyhour on June 19, 2021, 08:27:38 PM
Yes, he ruins the track. His guitar playing just doesn't suit the Beatles vibe at all.

Fair comment, but remember in 1967/68 that kind of guitar soloing was incredible and mind-blowing for anyone to hear. Nowdays we just take it for granted.

SpiderChrist

I was once threatened with violence for stating that the demo of WMGGW was superior to the White Album version because it didn't have Enoch Clapton wanking all over it.

pigamus

Trevor Walters' reggae version of Stuck on You got higher in the charts than Lionel Richie's did.

phantom_power

Marcella Detroit of Shakespeare's Sister co-wrote Lay Down Sally with Shakin' Enoch, and sang backing vocals on it

kalowski

Quote from: phantom_power on June 20, 2021, 09:47:29 PM
Marcella Detroit of Shakespeare's Sister co-wrote Lay Down Sally with Shakin' Enoch, and sang backing vocals on it
And she's now 68.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 20, 2021, 09:33:20 AM
I was once threatened with violence for stating that the demo of WMGGW was superior to the White Album version because it didn't have Enoch Clapton wanking all over it.
The best bit of Cream's Badge is George Harrison's guitar riff.

DrGreggles

Johnboy

Quote from: phantom_power on June 21, 2021, 10:10:59 AM
The Deal twins are 60

So that makes them older than The Edge and Larry Mullen

that reminded me of Guy Chadwick being the same age as Bono and Adam Clayton cos I had seen his year of birth as 1960 in the alternative history of music thread

but I've checked wikipedia and it says he was born in 1956 - f*** my chapeau!

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Mr Banlon on June 20, 2021, 10:10:48 PM

True, so he improved Enoch's song, Enoch fucked up his song, Enoch shagged and nicked his wife. What an awesome friend.

phantom_power

Has this turned into The Biggest Cunts in the Music Industry?

famethrowa

Just realised Dave Bowie is actually stepping into the room/pod on the cover of Station to Station; not just poking his head in like Mr. Ed as I've always thought.

Seedsy

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 20, 2021, 09:33:20 AM

But you are 100 percent correct. It should have been left as is. I think Clapton jizzing all over it makes it overblown and quite turgid.
George, and his guitar gently weeping alone makes it beautiful

Kankurette

DrGreggles

Quote from: Kankurette on June 23, 2021, 07:50:28 AM
Prince's jizzing was better.

I usually hate what my mate Iain calls "guitar widdle wank hell", but Prince gets a pass. That clip is wonderful.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 23, 2021, 07:53:20 AM
I usually hate what my mate Iain calls "guitar widdle wank hell", but Prince gets a pass. That clip is wonderful.

Mostly because he refuses to stop, chucks his guitar into the crowd at the end, and pimp-limps off stage without acknowledging anyone else.

God I miss that man. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't like Prince, you're a tit.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Mr Banlon on June 20, 2021, 10:10:48 PM

The arpeggios? That was Enoch, apparently. Ripping off his old mate Hari Georgeson.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 23, 2021, 07:53:20 AM

I love Prince's guitar playing but that's a bit too showy for me. Owed a lot to Rundgren's cover of it on the Harrison tribute album too.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 23, 2021, 09:57:41 AM
God I miss that man. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't like Prince, you're a tit.

Sinéad's not keen.

Quote from: The TimesOf the many astonishing moments in Sinéad O'Connor's Rememberings, from being beaten up by her mother when she was a child to becoming America's public enemy No 1 in 1992 after ripping up a photo of the Pope on Saturday Night Live, one sticks out in particular. In 1990, nine months after the release of her peerless cover of Prince's Nothing Compares 2 U, she was staying in Los Angeles when the telephone rang. An effeminate but threatening voice asked if that was "Shine-head O Khan-er". It was Prince. He was sending a car to take her to his mansion in the Hollywood Hills.

After O'Connor is dropped off by a silent limousine driver, the door is opened by an Igor-like figure who leads her through a darkened house, its windows covered with aluminium foil. She's led to the kitchen, where Prince appears, "wearing all the make-up that was ever in history applied to the face of Boy George". After offering to get her a drink, he inexplicably loses his temper and slams a glass down on the table.
Things get increasingly sinister from there. Prince says that he doesn't like the language O'Connor uses in interviews. She tells him to f*** off. After losing his temper again Prince suggests they patch things up by having a pillow fight, only to attack her with something hard stuffed inside the pillow. He blocks her from leaving the house. He drags her towards his car. She escapes and runs down the road, and Prince catches up with her in his car. She dashes up to a random house and rings the doorbell, at which point this towering figure (metaphorically speaking) of American music, perhaps realising how this would look to a stranger, disappears into the night, never to be seen by O'Connor again.
"Firstly, Prince didn't like people covering his songs," says O'Connor, who speaks in a low, rapid monotone in a heavy Co Dublin brogue. "Secondly, he had all these female protégées and he was annoyed that I wasn't one of them. Thirdly, my manager Steve Fargnoli had been his manager and they were involved in a legal case. On top of all this he was a woman-beating c***. I'm certainly not the only woman he laid a hand on."
A paragraph in Rememberings describes the irises of Prince's eyes disappearing as he sits in a chair by the front door, guarding it like a malevolent demon. "That is as true as God," she asserts. "I believe he was involved in Devil business because an old girlfriend of his told me he had the power to make shit move around the room. He got me up there to see: could this bitch be one of mine? I guess he didn't bank on the Irish in me telling him to go f*** himself."

willbo

Michael Jackson had a rough time with Prince's tough/alpha male side too if the stories are true