Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:16:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Hey Music Lover is basically a cover version of the Music Lover section of Dance to the Melody by Sly and The Family Stone

https://youtu.be/GNwS82EtDcE?t=339

Egyptian Feast

That surprised me too. I didn't realise until I finally heard the Dance To The Music album and it was a proper hat-fucking/hat's-arse-bolting moment. I also didn't realise Beastie Boys 'Time For Livin' was a Sly cover until I heard Small Talk.

famethrowa

At the absolute height of their breakthrough, REM became the backing band for The Troggs and recorded an album with them. Sprinkled a little fairy dust on it I assume

Jockice

Andy McCluskey and Paul Humphreys of OMD went to school with Theresa May's husband. He was two years above them and ended up as head boy.

Anita Baker's debut solo album was funded by LA cocaine kingpin Freeway Rick Ross who when convicted was estimated to have bought and resold several metric tons of cocaine between 1982 and 1989. In 1980 dollars, his gross earnings were said to be in excess of $900 million – with a profit of nearly $300 million (gross income equivalent to $2.8 billion and profit equivalent to $940 million in 2020).

phantom_power

The person who sings the "Let the carnival begin" bit from Human Nature by Gary Clail is Lana Pellay, from various Comic Strip films and other stuff

Jockice

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 28, 2021, 04:08:36 PM
Anita Baker's debut solo album was funded by LA cocaine kingpin Freeway Rick Ross who when convicted was estimated to have bought and resold several metric tons of cocaine between 1982 and 1989. In 1980 dollars, his gross earnings were said to be in excess of $900 million – with a profit of nearly $300 million (gross income equivalent to $2.8 billion and profit equivalent to $940 million in 2020).

And despite that he still buys cheap fridges.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: famethrowa on August 28, 2021, 05:15:34 AM
At the absolute height of their breakthrough, REM became the backing band for The Troggs and recorded an album with them. Sprinkled a little fairy dust on it I assume
Bloody hell, you learn something new every day.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: phantom_power on September 02, 2021, 09:29:09 AM
The person who sings the "Let the carnival begin" bit from Human Nature by Gary Clail is Lana Pellay, from various Comic Strip films and other stuff

Quite a pop star, already kinda, wasn't she?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6vpwy2DHJQ

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on September 02, 2021, 05:43:29 PM
Quite a pop star, already kinda, wasn't she?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6vpwy2DHJQ

Big Pete Burns You Spin Me Round energy there, written and produced by the guy that produced Scarlet Fantastic - No Memory the following year.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 28, 2021, 04:08:36 PM
LOLZ - I was thinking Anita Dobson!

popcorn

John Williams, film composer, is the father of Joseph Williams, Toto singer ?!

famethrowa

Quote from: popcorn on September 20, 2021, 10:02:20 AM
John Williams, film composer, is the father of Joseph Williams, Toto singer ?!

Apparently so! And John Williams played the piano riff on the original Peter Gunn theme way back in the 60s.

pupshaw

Gilbert O'Sullivan could have easily ended up a member of Supertramp

QuoteHere, he played with several semi-professional bands including the Doodles, the Prefects and was most notably drummer in a band called Rick's Blues, along with Malcolm Mabbett (guitar), Keith Ray (bass), and founder Rick Davies.[11][12]
Davies, who later founded Supertramp, taught O'Sullivan how to play both drums and piano.[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_O%27Sullivan

Ant Farm Keyboard

Johnny Ramone hated guitar solos, and almost never played a lead part for the Ramones.

Most of the solos from the studio albums were actually overdubbed by Tommy Ramone, Ed Stadium or whoever was there at the time. They were missing in concert, unless some roadie would play a few chords from backstage.

SteveDave

The "Unter Gleiben Glauchen Globen" count-in from the beginning of Offspring's "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)" is taken from the Def Leppard song "Rock Of Ages"

Famous Mortimer

Sherman Hemsley, annoyed father from 70s sitcoms "All In The Family" and "The Jeffersons" (and one of the voices on "Dinosaurs") was such a big fan of oddball prog band Gong that he had a room in his house called the "Flying Teapot Room", where that song would play 24/7. Also, he apparently had two Puerto Rican guys making LSD in his basement and cocaine / crack stations on every floor of his house, but that's not really germane to this music thread.

https://magnetmagazine.com/2009/03/05/george-jefferson-worlds-biggest-gong-fan/

Cottonon

Light bulb moment during the recent episode of Chart Music podcast:

The "no time for losers" melody of Queens We Are The Champions is basically the playground taunt of ner-ner-nuh-ner-ner.

markburgle

You'd think a pop-techno hoedown was the sort of thing that would only occur to a maximum of one person at any one time.

But in the early 90's there was a miniature Cotton Eye Joe arms-race going on. Rednex were the clear winners, but who were the runners up? Only everyone's absolute fave 80's rave, Black Lace:

https://youtu.be/2Q9NNvGMTSY

The mother of Mike Nesmith from The Monkees invented Tip Ex (original name Mistake Out) and he inherited tens of millions of dollars because of it.

Dr Rock

Quote from: markburgle on November 27, 2021, 10:40:52 AMYou'd think a pop-techno hoedown was the sort of thing that would only occur to a maximum of one person at any one time.

But in the early 90's there was a miniature Cotton Eye Joe arms-race going on. Rednex were the clear winners, but who were the runners up? Only everyone's absolute fave 80's rave, Black Lace:

https://youtu.be/2Q9NNvGMTSY

I think The Grid did it first,

kalowski

Listening to Mingus Ah-Um
QuoteThe title is a corruption of an imaginary Latin declension. It is common for Latin students to memorize Latin adjectives by first saying the masculine nominative (usually ending in "-us"), then the feminine nominative ("-a"), and finally the neuter nominative singular ("-um")—implying a transformation of his name, Mingus, Minga, Mingum.

jobotic

The tune (melody whatever) to Like A Motorway, one of my favourite St Etienne songs, is based on a folk song Sliver Dagger. Joan Baez did a good version but this is even better

(and here's Like A Motorway)

darby o chill

Phil Collins played percussion on Thin Lizzy's Johnny The Fox album.
Jimmy the Weed was named after Jimmy Donnelly, a Manchester criminal who frequented the Clifton Grange Hotel where Philomena Lynott was the manager. Jimmy was said 'to grow on you.' Like a weed :)

George White

Thriller by Michael Jackson was written by Rod Temperton a white bloke from Cleethorpes.

famethrowa

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on December 10, 2021, 10:29:03 PMThriller by Michael Jackson was written by Rod Temperton a white bloke from Cleethorpes.

Love that, it's great that these awesome sparking epic songs were written on a little electric piano in Rod's kitchen in between his factory shifts.

Also, maybe we know it, but Blame it on the Boogie was written by Mick Jackson, a white bloke from Yorkshire.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on December 10, 2021, 10:29:03 PMThriller by Michael Jackson was written by Rod Temperton a white bloke from Cleethorpes.
Who also wrote 'Give Me the Night' for George Benson, all the best Heatwave songs like 'Boogie Nights' and 'The Groove Line' (he was the keys player in the original line up) and co-write stuff like 'Stomp!' by the Brother Johnson.

For a man from Cleethorpes, he had a lot of funk in him, though I always presumed after the stuff with Michael Jackson, he retired to his own Pacific island.

non capisco

'The Groove Line' is such a fuckin tune, as is 'Stomp!'. 'Off The Wall' and 'Rock With You' were also his, both of which I reckon knock spots off 'Thriller'. I like the fact that 'Off The Wall' has 'creepy' cackling noises at the start as if every time Quincy Jones asked him to do something for Jacko he sat down and thought "Right, time to write a song for that fucking weirdo I suppose" and his brain instantly alighted on 'horror'. His demo tape for 'Rock With You' probably had someone moaning "BRAAIIIIIIIINS" in the intro and the keyboard middle eight sound was originally wolves howling the notes.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 11, 2021, 12:06:51 AMFor a man from Cleethorpes, he had a lot of funk in him, though I always presumed after the stuff with Michael Jackson, he retired to his own Pacific island.

Worth $125 million when he died, he had a homes in LA, Switzerland, Fiji and London so the own Pacific island thing isn't far fetched

It's a shit lucrative business.