Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:33:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

non capisco

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 01, 2018, 10:18:14 PM
Screamager wasn't a single.

It was the lead track on the Shortsharpshock EP, had a video and was played on the Radio 1 Top 40 countdown and The Chart Show so I contend it was.

DrGreggles

Not sure why that was classed as an EP anyway. Most CD singles in the 90s had 4 tracks (and a longer running time), until the rules for chart eligibility were changed.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: non capisco on March 01, 2018, 10:27:05 PM
It was the lead track on the Shortsharpshock EP, had a video and was played on the Radio 1 Top 40 countdown and The Chart Show so I contend it was.

Didn't they perform it on Top Of The Pops too?

Jockice

The Undertones were the first artists to make their singles chart debut with an EP. Toyah was the second.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Jockice on March 01, 2018, 10:39:27 PM
The Undertones were the first artists to make their singles chart debut with an EP.

Then it wouldnt suprise me if thats why Therapy? released so many early EPs rather than singles.

Crabwalk

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 01, 2018, 10:29:38 PM
Not sure why that was classed as an EP anyway. Most CD singles in the 90s had 4 tracks (and a longer running time), until the rules for chart eligibility were changed.

I bought the cassette version, which came in a fag packet. I took it on a French exchange and the kids over there thought it was dead cool. One of the high-points of my youth life.

monkfromhavana

Kirk Degiorgio is apparently Marc Bolan's cousin.

Golden E. Pump

New Radicals frontman Gregg Alexander wrote 'Life Is a Rollercoaster' for Ronan Keating and Sophie Ellis-Bextor's 'Murder on the Dancefloor'. Not mind-blowing but an interesting bit of trivia.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I remember having my musical hat well and truly fucked when I discovered - many years ago, admittedly - that UB40's horrid Red Red Wine was a cover of a moody Neil Diamond track from 1967.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeJ55sUacPM

The story goes that even UB40 themselves didn't realise this, as their version was based on Tony Tribe's reggae adaptation from 1969. The Tribe single only credited the writer as "Diamond".

Tragically, Diamond was so enamoured of Campbell and co's MOR reggae version, he's performed it that way in concert ever since. If that wasn't bad enough, he also used to include a dreadful rap section in the middle.

Debbie Harry almost became one of Ted Bundy's first victims in the early 70s.

anant

The first album to be commercially released as an mp3 was Frank Black & The Catholics eponymous debut.

Natnar

The lyrics to Cerrone's Supernature were written by Lene Lovich.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: phantom_power on February 28, 2018, 07:14:20 PM
They did that a few times with tracks like Guernica and others whose names I can't remember

I may've had a hand in that, as I made ian brown a tape of a load of can stuff in early 1988, including that chunk of 'mushroom' where damo's vocals are reversed.

phantom_power

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 06, 2018, 01:36:09 AM
I may've had a hand in that, as I made ian brown a tape of a load of can stuff in early 1988, including that chunk of 'mushroom' where damo's vocals are reversed.

You are forgiven

Gregory Torso

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 01, 2018, 10:33:00 PM
Didn't they perform it on Top Of The Pops too?

They certainly did because I remember talking about it at school the next day. They said "screw that" on telly!

Sebastian Cobb

Nick Lowe is looking a lot like Barry Cryer these days.

Nowhere Man

And a touch of his old label mate, Elvis Costello. Funnily enough

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 11, 2018, 02:56:04 AM
Nick Lowe is looking a lot like Barry Cryer these days.

looks like one of my grandpas old friends in his assisted living flat

Sebastian Cobb

Not even in my top 3 Nick Lowe songs, sorry!

Sebastian Cobb

A pre-Sabbath Tony Iommi was very briefly a member of Jethro Tull.

Bass player Hulk Hogan insists he auditioned for Metallica.

Serge

smudge1971

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 11, 2018, 04:56:58 AM

Bass player Hulk Hogan insists he auditioned for Metallica.
There aren't many bands in which Hogan would have only been winning Bronze in the Biggest Cunt Awards

ajsmith2

Am I tripping, or was there 2 whole bits about Alvin Stardust not singing on 'My Coo Ca Choo' and the famous version of 'I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day' being in fact a 1981 re-recording on this page earlier today, which have since disappeared?

Serge

Both stories are on the first page of the other F*** My Hat thread over in General Bullshit.

phantom_power

Wasn't there a thread on here a while ago that suggested Alex Patterson had very little to do with the music of The Orb? Was it an interview with Youth or someone? That would fall into this category I think

Serge

It was a rant that Thrash posted on his website that kicked it off. The thread is here. The link to the rant seems to be working at the minute, though I know it was taken down at one point (presumably for legal reasons.)