Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:58:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Jockice on February 21, 2018, 06:41:17 PM
Yeah, but the thing is, he doesn't have a beard. Whereas the other two members of ZZ Top do!

CaledonianGonzo

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on February 21, 2018, 06:39:50 PM
Mark E Smith and Pete Waterman used to be drinking buddies.

Pete Waterman used to manage The Specials. Because Terry Hall couldn't dance, he suggested it would be a good gimmick if the rest of the band jigged and leapt about but Terry should always remain fairly inactive.

After the Sex Pistols split up Jerry Dammers originally approached John Lydon to be their lead vocalist before Terry Hall. He declined and formed P.I.L.

On the cover of the album More Specials, Dammers had a fake sticker put over the 'E' in More so it read 'MOR Specials' referencing the slight 'middle of the road' lounge/ muzak direction the band had taken.

Sebastian Cobb

Drummond and Cauty learned a lot about producing music from Pete Waterman as well.

One of the Chemical Brothers basically does fuck all production wise these days and gets paid much less because of it.

It's apparently a massive faux pas to address Africa Bambaata as 'Afrika'.

Goldie once chucked the French producer Redeyes down some stairs for remixing Inner City Life without permission.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 21, 2018, 07:40:33 PM

It's apparently a massive faux pas to address Africa Bambaata as 'Afrika'.

What about 'Bambi'?

Sebastian Cobb

He prefers to forget about University Challenge.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Jennifer Warnes of Up Where We Belong and (I've Had) The Time Of My Life '80s power ballad fame was a close musical associate of Leonard Cohen. Her third album was produced by John Cale.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 21, 2018, 07:49:08 PM
Jennifer Warnes of Up Where We Belong and (I've Had) The Time Of My Life '80s power ballad fame was a close musical associate of Leonard Cohen. Her third album was produced by John Cale.

She famously covered a certain song of Lenny's

Peter Tork's mum invented Blu Tack.

Quote from: Howj Begg on February 21, 2018, 07:52:03 PM
She famously covered a certain song of Lenny's

Indeed, she recorded an entire album of Len tunes. She's actually a well-regarded singer-songwriter, but most folk only know her from those bombastic '80s hits.

Dr Rock

After Jim Morrison died, Iggy Pop was asked if he wanted to join the band as vocalist (source Iggy Pop)

Dead Soon

Quote from: Better Midlands on February 21, 2018, 06:37:09 PM
I think he has some sort of record for UK #1s under different names -

Housemartins
Beats International
Freakpower
Fatboy Slim

Just three it would seem, Freakpower's 'Tune In, Cop Out' was a No.3 hit. Still, though, probably still a record.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Better Midlands on February 21, 2018, 06:37:09 PM
I think he has some sort of record for UK #1s under different names -

Housemartins
Beats International
Freakpower
Fatboy Slim

He also released an lp under the name Pizzaman.

Serge

George Wendt is an enthusiastic fan of punk and noise rock. In the early '90s he was often spotted at gigs by the likes of Mudhoney and Nirvana.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Dead Soon on February 21, 2018, 08:14:48 PM
Just three it would seem, Freakpower's 'Tune In, Cop Out' was a No.3 hit. Still, though, probably still a record.

His mix of Cornershop's 'Brimful of Asha' reached #1 too.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 21, 2018, 03:50:15 PM
I was completely oblivious to actress/Spitting Image stalwart Kate Robbins' musical career until she popped up on a 1981 TOTP the other week. Went on to discover that she provides backing vocals on The Mighty Wah's 'The Story of the Blues'!

She was in Eurovision as well. Probably 1980, as she definitely wasn't in Bucks Fizz or Bardo.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 21, 2018, 08:29:32 PM
His mix of Cornershop's 'Brimful of Asha' reached #1 too.

He also had a hit with Magic Carpet Ride as the Mighty Dub Katz.

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 21, 2018, 08:06:00 PM
After Jim Morrison died, Iggy Pop was asked if he wanted to join the band as vocalist (source Iggy Pop)

I've often wondered about that. He was an obvious replacement for Morrison in many ways, but I can't imagine the remaining Doors wanting to work with someone as volatile as Iggy after everything they went through with old leather keks.

Also, this might be an appropriate moment to reiterate that Charles Manson didn't actually audition for The Monkees. He was in prison at the time. I think everyone knows that now, though?

Brundle-Fly

Brundle-Fly

Brundle-Fly

In the late nineties, Bill Withers lived in a cottage on Issac Hayes property. He was the Chef/ Shaft hit maker's live-in gardener.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 21, 2018, 08:42:35 PM
In the late nineties, Bill Withers lived in a cottage on Issac Hayes property. He was the Chef/ Shaft hit maker's live-in gardener.

Good lord. That can't have been due to a downturn in Withers' fortunes, surely? He must still have a bob or two in the bank. Perhaps he just fancied a quiet semi-retirement mowing the lawn for Black Moses?

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 21, 2018, 07:52:53 PM
Peter Tork's mum invented Blu Tack.

Total trolling, for the sake of googlers from the future Michael Nesmith's mum invented? Tippex

CaledonianGonzo

Peter Tork is the only person on the planet named Tork.

DrGreggles

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on February 21, 2018, 09:08:35 PM
Peter Tork is the only person on the planet named Tork.

Peter Tork is one of many people on the planet not named Tork.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 21, 2018, 08:57:10 PM
Good lord. That can't have been due to a downturn in Withers' fortunes, surely? He must still have a bob or two in the bank. Perhaps he just fancied a quiet semi-retirement mowing the lawn for Black Moses?

I have it on first-hand authority it was for exactly that reason. Just old buddies doing each other a favour.

Sebastian Cobb

For a minute I had a horrible feeling he'd become skint and was now managing to just about get by from the royalties of No Diggity.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 21, 2018, 08:51:24 PM
Oh yes, so he is. You can taste it in his sauces.

Who was the 1990s Premier League football player with uncharacteristically impeccable indie boy tastes in music? He used to get fed up with his teammates because they only ever played modern R'N'B on the tour bus.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 21, 2018, 09:31:11 PM
For a minute I had a horrible feeling he'd become skint and was now managing to just about get by from the royalties of No Diggity.

I think there'd be sufficient appetite for a Withers comeback tour if he ever decided he wanted to unretire himself.