Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:46:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm guessing you all know that Axl Rose is an anagram of Oral Sex.

New page his real name is Bill Bailey.

Jockice

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 16, 2018, 10:24:16 PM

And he never went home either.

canadagoose

In Debbie Harry's 1986 single "French Kissin", she's singing "embrasser, c'est français" ("kissing is French") in the French bit. For some reason I just heard it as garbled nonsense before now.

Quote from: canadagoose on April 18, 2018, 10:35:47 PM
In Debbie Harry's 1986 single "French Kissin", she's singing "embrasser, c'est français" ("kissing is French") in the French bit. For some reason I just heard it as garbled nonsense before now.

French Kissin' was written by Chuck Lorre producer of Deux Hommes Et Demi & La théorie Du Big Bang.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Better Midlands on April 18, 2018, 11:30:17 PM
French Kissin' was written by Chuck Lorre producer of Deux Hommes Et Demi & La théorie Du Big Bang.

Indeed. He also co-wrote the theme tune to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 16, 2018, 10:24:16 PM

november rain
mr boner

holyzombiejesus

The latest Grouper album (that I've been listening to over the last fortnight and thought quite poor and dreary) actually plays at 45rpm, not 33.

One member of the duo DNA who remixed Suzanne Vega's - Tom's Diner and made it a top 5 hit in the UK & US in the early 90s was a co founder of Lovehoney the online sex toy retailer which had a turnover of £76 million in 2016.

Jockice

Lena Zavaroni was signed to Stax Records in America.

Psmith

If Paul Simon makes a mistake in a concert ,to penalize himself ,he performs the song he hates.
The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)

TheMonk

Quote from: Psmith on May 25, 2018, 03:04:38 AM
If Paul Simon makes a mistake in a concert ,to penalize himself ,he performs the song he hates.
The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)
Didn't James Brown make his band play that one when they fucked up?

Psmith

Dunno.
Perhaps lots of people do.It's not very good is it  :)

phantom_power

It was a fuck my hat moment to find out in that other thread that Buck and Stipe feature on You Woke Up My Neighbourhood by Billy Bragg

Neville Chamberlain

The two nearly-nude ladies on the cover of Roxy Music's Country Life were Michael Karoli's cousin and girlfriend!

Well fuck my hat!

non capisco

Debbie Harry's initial plan was to record 'The Tide Is High' as a solo single with The Specials backing her. They were pretty much disintegrating at the time so she did it with Blondie instead. I have just one source for this, a book about 2-Tone that I'm currently reading, so it might be bollocks.

buzby

Quote from: non capisco on June 07, 2018, 11:38:54 PM
Debbie Harry's initial plan was to record 'The Tide Is High' as a solo single with The Specials backing her. They were pretty much disintegrating at the time so she did it with Blondie instead. I have just one source for this, a book about 2-Tone that I'm currently reading, so it might be bollocks.
Chris Stein mentioned it is an interview in the May 2008 issue of Mojo - they found the track on a Virgin reggae compilation and had the idea of asking The Specials (who were their label-mates on Chrysalis) to provide the backing for Debbie with Lynval Golding producing. They approached them with the idea but The Specials turned them down. Chris and Debbie had got to know them during their 1980 US tour (Horace Panter mentions in Ska'd For Life that a few of them hung out at Debbie & Chris's apartment and they came to see them on the last date of the tour in NY).

It's briefly mentioned in this interview with Roddy 'Radiation' Byers where he confirms he was told about it and that Dammers turned it down. Ultimately they ended up using the horn section from the Johnny Carson house band on the record.

Dr Rock

Heart Of Glass started out reggae too. It's, er, not very good.

https://youtu.be/QS_6LLam0Qs

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 14, 2018, 10:59:14 PM
One member of the duo DNA who remixed Suzanne Vega's - Tom's Diner and made it a top 5 hit in the UK & US in the early 90s was a co founder of Lovehoney the online sex toy retailer which had a turnover of £76 million in 2016.

I thought I'd already posted this, but it took me a while to realise that that DNA had nothing to do with Arto Lindsay and co's No Wave angularists.

smudge1971

The 'rudey' sting on the Adam Buxton Podcasts is from the end of Safe European Home. Only just realised yesterday.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on May 25, 2018, 09:15:45 AM
The two nearly-nude ladies on the cover of Roxy Music's Country Life were Michael Karoli's cousin and girlfriend!

The cover of that record is one of my earliest "what is this weird feeling in my willy?" memories.

kngen

Less of a 'I didn't know that' than a 'I fucking thought so, but couldn't prove it at the time' but Bad Romance by Lady Gaga does, I've since discovered, sample the hoover-drone hook of Dominator by Human Resource, but didn't credit it. Thieving cow.

Quote from: kngen on June 09, 2018, 04:40:18 PM
Less of a 'I didn't know that' than a 'I fucking thought so, but couldn't prove it at the time' but Bad Romance by Lady Gaga does, I've since discovered, sample the hoover-drone hook of Dominator by Human Resource, but didn't credit it. Thieving cow.

It's a synth patch from early 90's the Roland Alpha Juno-2, Alpha Juno 1, or rack mount version MKS-50

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_sound

Someone playing Dominator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FYfRSTvspk

Bobby Treetops

Is Noosha Fox the lead singer of Fox.

And I never realized they had a Top Of The Pops appearance until five minutes ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HMKguovcqw

Jockice

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on June 10, 2018, 01:26:03 PM

Is Noosha Fox the lead singer of Fox.

And I never realized they had a Top Of The Pops appearance until five minutes ago.

And, of course, Ben Goldacre is her son.

sevendaughters

I haven't read all of this thread but here's one I learned just yesterday: 'Video Killed The Radio Star' was released by someone else before The Buggles did it, like, one of the other writers of the song under his own given name. Not super impressive, no, but was genuinely taken aback.

Pseudopath

Yep...Bruce Woolley and The Camera Club (with Thomas Dolby on keyboards) recorded it the year before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HLwljnmzR8

daf

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on June 10, 2018, 01:26:03 PM

Not only that, but they appeared on the very first show of the BBC 4 repeats. This is the song that got me hooked on the show - total classic!

1 April 1976 : Presenter: Tony Blackburn

(21)    SAILOR – Girls Girls Girls
(25)    DIANA ROSS – Theme From 'Mahogany' (Do You Know Where You're Going To) (video)
(NEW)    TARNEY & SPENCER – I'm Your Man Rock 'N' Roll
(14)    ABBA – Fernando (video)
(NEW)    LAURIE ANDREW – I'll Never Love Anyone Anymore
(18)    HANK MIZELL – Jungle Rock (danced to by Pan's People)
(4)    JOHN MILES – Music  (. . . News!)
(NEW)    FOX – S-S-S-Single Bed
(22)    THE BEATLES – Hey Jude (video)
(1)    BROTHERHOOD OF MAN – Save Your Kisses For Me
(12)    THE DRIFTERS – Hello Happiness (and credits)

The second performance from April 15 (featuring a groovin' Hairy Cornflake in the background) - is the source of Dr Rock's pic (specifically at 1:20 in this clip - on the Word "Pour").

Norton Canes

buzby

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 29, 2018, 09:58:31 AM
Big Audio Dynamite's E=MC2 is about the films of Nicholas Roeg.
Hence the dialogue samples from Performance and the video using clips from his films

studpuppet

Quote from: buzby on June 29, 2018, 11:03:03 AM
Hence the dialogue samples from Performance and the video using clips from his films

Bummed is also littered with Performance references and soundbites including this first line.