Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:00:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: kidsick5000 on September 17, 2018, 10:53:33 PM
There also used to be a thing about trying to get Coverdale to break accent - this is from former metal mag people who were around late80s -mid90s. I think it was an incident onstage accidentally swallowing a fly that twigged them to Coverdale's real voice to being far from this deep,posh plummy accent he used in public.

mebbes that's why page was aghast- it only took a couple of 'werds' from me. honestly, his real accent is like jim moir's.

kidsick5000

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 17, 2018, 10:58:49 PM
mebbes that's why page was aghast- it only took a couple of 'werds' from me. honestly, his real accent is like jim moir's.

I love the thought of that. That for all that time making an album, from negotiations to promoting, Coverdale had been undercover(dale).
You'd have to wonder what if kind of nut job spends that much time in character.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: kidsick5000 on September 17, 2018, 11:39:24 PM
I love the thought of that. That for all that time making an album, from negotiations to promoting, Coverdale had been undercover(dale).
You'd have to wonder what if kind of nut job spends that much time in character.

I like 'undercoverdale' a lot. he's very much full of himself. early pre-purple pics of him gigging in redcar, he looks like a fat greg lake, absolute fanny-rat by all accounts. the staying in character thing he probably got from watching mick jagger.

kidsick5000

If just had to do the inevitable and look up what he looks like now. Still seems to have all his own hair. Though he's in that increasingly common stage for ageing flamboyant-haired rockers of hitting the 'mum's divorced friend Auntie Pauline' stage of life.

Also, he seems to spend a massive amount of time just retweeting jokes on Twitter in between shots of himself. Seems to have a sense of humour though.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: kidsick5000 on September 18, 2018, 12:17:09 AM
If just had to do the inevitable and look up what he looks like now. Still seems to have all his own hair. Though he's in that increasingly common stage for ageing flamboyant-haired rockers of hitting the 'mum's divorced friend Auntie Pauline' stage of life.

Also, he seems to spend a massive amount of time just retweeting jokes on Twitter in between shots of himself. Seems to have a sense of humour though.

his career seems characterised by lay-off periods, either by choice or for reasons of health (his own, his daughter &c). I think he's a fairly typical down-to-earth teessider who has an act; that was the impression I got from our brief meeting. I'm not a massive fan of his work, by any means, though I do have a lot of time for both marsden & moody.

just been rewatching the former as part of the PAL line-up, doing a decent impression of rory gallagher at the back of all this badly-mixed bombast. the album is much better; here, poor old tony ashton is clearly not up to the business of fronting this otherwise stellar line-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-_-KoGN_q4

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 18, 2018, 01:13:40 AM
his career seems characterised by lay-off periods, either by choice or for reasons of health (his own, his daughter &c). I think he's a fairly typical down-to-earth teessider who has an act; that was the impression I got from our brief meeting. I'm not a massive fan of his work, by any means, though I do have a lot of time for both marsden & moody.

just been rewatching the former as part of the PAL line-up, doing a decent impression of rory gallagher at the back of all this badly-mixed bombast. the album is much better; here, poor old tony ashton is clearly not up to the business of fronting this otherwise stellar line-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-_-KoGN_q4

One of my favourite televised concerts, warts an' all. But yeah, he was a nervous front man and had had a few. The documentary extra that's on the same DVD is great.

Nowhere Man

The never retiring 92 year old Tony Bennett's got a new album out, and I read this on the wiki page:

QuoteBennett first recorded "Fascinating Rhythm" in 1949.[4] By recording the song again for Love is Here To Stay (2018), he received the Guinness World Records title for "longest time between the release of an original recording and a re-recording of the same single by the same artist."

Fuck my hat, that's almost a 70 year career difference!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5f-e3Wajq4 (1949)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fytAhauleu0 (2018)

Nowhere Man

Like many British musicians of the 60s/70s, Bowie was a big fan of Elvis:

Quote"He was a major hero of mine. And I was probably stupid enough to believe that having the same birthday as him actually meant something." -- David Bowie

Elvis recorded a song called 'Black Star' in the early 60s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_UHZ_62GCI

Then Bowie released his last album, 'Blackstar' on his and Elvis's shared birthday.

Was it intentional?

Fat Jesus

Quote from: Nowhere Man on September 19, 2018, 10:11:46 PM
Like many British musicians of the 60s/70s, Bowie was a big fan of Elvis:

Elvis recorded a song called 'Black Star' in the early 60s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_UHZ_62GCI

Then Bowie released his last album, 'Blackstar' on his and Elvis's shared birthday.

Was it intentional?

Elvis' Black Star was recorded in August 1960 for his movie of the same name. However the studio (20th Century Fox) decided to change the film's title to Flaming Star and had him re-record the song (same lyrics other than the obvious change, but completely new recording) in October 1960. Flaming Star (the song) was released in 1961, but Black Star remained in the can until 1991, when it was released on an Elvis box set called Collectors Gold. Note, the cover shown in the above video is of a bootleg.

Edit: The second, slower version in that video is the 'end title' version, recorded to be used over the end titles of the movie (hence the name). That was also re-recorded.

So I don't know if the Dame remained a fan of El and had Collectors Gold, or even knew about the earlier version, but thought I'd provide a little context.

Norton Canes

"Ivory Madonna". It's "Ivory Madonna".

I mean I know I could have checked at any point over the last 38 years, but still, "... I didn't know that!"

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 08, 2018, 09:52:40 AM
"Ivory Madonna". It's "Ivory Madonna".

I mean I know I could have checked at any point over the last 38 years, but still, "... I didn't know that!"

"I'm a ream of data... a number on a list..."

that's what I always heard...

Norton Canes

'Data' rhyming with 'barter' as opposed to 'later'? Yeah I can hear that. My best guess was always "I'm a prima donna", which I suspected was wide of the mark.

EDIT You know what, nevermind.

Jockice

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 08, 2018, 11:58:17 AM
'Data' rhyming with 'barter' as opposed to 'later'? Yeah I can hear that. My best guess was always "I'm a prima donna", which I suspected was wide of the mark.

Not if you watch this it isn't. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqmKUg2nZHs

a duncandisorderly

while they were recording "stayin' alive", the beegees drummer dennis bryon had to leave the chateau d'herouville & deal with the death of his mother. the band wanted to finish recording the song, so they got the engineer to copy off & cut into a tape-loop a few bars of the drums from "night fever". no pro-tools then.

they transferred this to the multitrack & recorded the song, intending to replace the loop with bryon's playing when he got back but they never did.

they subsequently used the same drum loop on "more than a woman" & later on streisand's "woman in love".

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on October 09, 2018, 02:34:42 PM
while they were recording "stayin' alive", the beegees drummer dennis bryon had to leave the chateau d'herouville & deal with the death of his mother. the band wanted to finish recording the song, so they got the engineer to copy off & cut into a tape-loop a few bars of the drums from "night fever". no pro-tools then.

they transferred this to the multitrack & recorded the song, intending to replace the loop with bryon's playing when he got back but they never did.

they subsequently used the same drum loop on "more than a woman" & later on streisand's "woman in love".

Can't believe I've never heard of that before, very nice. I love disco era BeeGees.

George White

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UNlCr-4VTc Weird musical covers - All-American crooner Tony Orlando covering the male Victoria Wood, Peter Skellern, with the brass band backing kept. Note at times he's clearly trying to imitate Skellern, in the spoken bits. But then he isn't.

studpuppet

Quote from: George White on October 12, 2018, 09:25:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UNlCr-4VTc Weird musical covers - All-American crooner Tony Orlando covering the male Victoria Wood, Peter Skellern, with the brass band backing kept. Note at times he's clearly trying to imitate Skellern, in the spoken bits. But then he isn't.

I read 'Tony Orlando' and understood 'Tony Clifton'...

Quote from: George White on October 12, 2018, 09:25:35 AM

Estelle squeezed an awesome sample out of Tony Orlando's Lazy Susan on her debut single 1980.

https://youtu.be/k0ODOYNAuGM

Pingers

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 04, 2018, 01:29:44 PM
Unfinished Symphony by Massive Attack is actually called Unfinished Sympathy. I always thought they had kept the working title Unfinished Symphony to be a bit meta. I also don't really care for the song, which explains my lack of attention.

Me and you are just not going to get along

McChesney Duntz

This doesn't really belong here, but I can find no better place for it:

It occurs to me that the newish band You Tell Me has finally won the jokey-confusing "What's The Name Of Your Band?" answer contest that's been in play since at least The Who.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on October 17, 2018, 07:02:18 PM

It occurs to me that the newish band You Tell Me has finally won the jokey-confusing "What's The Name Of Your Band?" answer contest that's been in play since at least The Who.
I remain annoyed that my first (teenage) band the Something* didn't crack the big time for this very reason.

*name taken from a line in the Commitments, fact fans.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on October 17, 2018, 07:02:18 PM

well, & the guess who.

Maurice Yeatman

THE MARQUEE CLUB, LONDON, 1968

JOHN GEE: What's the name of the band?

JON ANDERSON: Yes.

JOHN GEE: Ladies and gentleman, What!

Jockice

The theme to 70s kids' programme Magpie was written and performed by the Spencer Davis Group.

poodlefaker

Jazz musician Mike Gibbs wrote a track called Unfinished Sympathy in the early 70s (it's on Gary Burton's album Ring). He also did the music for The Goodies.

jobotic

I thought I was ever so clever by thinking of calling a band Various Artists but some other long-forgotten plums did it a few years ago I think.

Sin Agog