Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:18:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the

Calling a band Various Artists was also a joke on Peep Show.

Gregory Torso

I've been hugely enjoying the band Cigarettes After Sex for a few months now, especially this gorgeous slow core twin peaks smoky bit of loveliness - Each Time You Fall In Love and it's only just now when I decided to find out something about them that I discover the singer is ( a bloke ! ) !

The Culture Bunker

I do enjoy the general atmosphere Cigarettes After Sex create musically, but too often the lyrics are terrible beyond belief.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 18, 2018, 07:05:53 PM
I do enjoy the general atmosphere Cigarettes After Sex create musically, but too often the lyrics are terrible beyond belief.

Yes, I agree with that.

gib

Dawn Penn's 1994 hit You Don't Love Me (No, No, No) is ultimately based on a Bo Diddley track.

QuoteDawn Penn's 1994 re-recorded dancehall hit "You Don't Love Me (No, No, No)" was a version of her original 1967 release, "You Don't Love Me" which was a version of Gene Thompson and the Counts (Cobbs) 1963, earlier by Willie Cobbs 1960. The Cobbs song was based on Bo Diddley's 1955 song "She's Fine, She's Mine".

KennyMonster

Quote from: jobotic on October 18, 2018, 12:00:54 PM
I thought I was ever so clever by thinking of calling a band Various Artists but some other long-forgotten plums did it a few years ago I think.

I've often thought a band should release an Eponymous debut album and then call their next one "Eponymous debut album" or something like that.

Jockice

Quote from: KennyMonster on October 28, 2018, 07:54:29 PM
I've often thought a band should release an Eponymous debut album and then call their next one "Eponymous debut album" or something like that.

I've often thought a band should write a song called Intro, release it as a b-side then re-record it as the first track on their album, so it could be Intro (Version.)

Norton Canes

More of a musical 'obvious things...' - or in fact a musical 'things I'd forgotten' - but, All Saints were produced by William Orbit.

Saw them shooting a promo video on Primrose Hill once.

Golden E. Pump

'Bohemian Rhapsody' was released on Halloween, making it a Halloween novelty song in my eyes.

SteveDave

Quote from: gib on October 28, 2018, 12:47:28 PM
Dawn Penn's 1994 hit You Don't Love Me (No, No, No) is ultimately based on a Bo Diddley track.

There's an ace version by Gary Walker too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gq2ihjWh9Y

Twed

Absolutely fucking floored to learn that Dr Spin of the techno Tetris single was Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Was there a similar Sesame Street "rave song" on Top of the Pops around the same era? I have a vague memory.

daf

This the one?

Smart E's Sesame's Treet (1992)

Quote"Sesame's Treet" followed a trend at the time of releasing tracks based on samples of children's TV themes. The first notable song that did this was "Summers Magic" by Mark Summers (January 1991), featuring the theme tune of the BBC's The Magic Roundabout. The Prodigy's "Charly" and Urban Hype's "A Trip to Trumpton" were two similar rave tunes of that era, also sampling from children's programmes (collectively known as "Toytown Techno")

Here's the Magic Roundabout one - Summer's Magic and Roobarb & Custard from ShaFt

New Jack

Only just realised that Luniz, of "I Got 5 on It" fame, is not pronounced phonetically but is almost certainly "Loonies"

Only took 23 years

Quote from: New Jack on November 08, 2018, 07:21:30 PM
Only just realised that Luniz, of "I Got 5 on It" fame, is not pronounced phonetically but is almost certainly "Loonies"

Only took 23 years

Ever heard the Club Nouveaux original, lovely bit of mid-80s R&B

https://g.co/kgs/oEJ88D

New Jack

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 08, 2018, 08:13:37 PM
Ever heard the Club Nouveaux original, lovely bit of mid-80s R&B

https://g.co/kgs/oEJ88D

Mind blown! A bit. Didn't know it was sampled but it's not the most surprising thing ever that it is

Decent tune this, I like it better than the Lun Is thingy

studpuppet

a duncandisorderly

wandered down a yt rabbit-hole just now- a lot of what yt suggests to me are music-instructional clips, because I subscribed to a couple of them. today I watched one on time signatures, with examples of some non-4/4 riffs, one of which was the 'mission impossible' theme.

"-- .."  with the little gap there the same duration as the dot, is a reasonable representation of the rhythm of schifrin's riff.

it's also MI in morse code

sevendaughters

I did not know that Bjork did an album at age 11/12 that was released in 1977.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on November 11, 2018, 01:12:54 PM
wandered down a yt rabbit-hole just now- a lot of what yt suggests to me are music-instructional clips, because I subscribed to a couple of them. today I watched one on time signatures, with examples of some non-4/4 riffs, one of which was the 'mission impossible' theme.

"-- .."  with the little gap there the same duration as the dot, is a reasonable representation of the rhythm of schifrin's riff.

it's also MI in morse code

I wrote something broadly similar to this on the talk page behind the wikipedia entry for morse code. the talk page.

some twat editor wiki nazi has removed it, saying 'the talk page is not a forum'.

I feel like stabbing him.

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on November 01, 2018, 02:46:40 PM
'Bohemian Rhapsody' was released on Halloween, making it a Halloween novelty song in my eyes.

Bohenian Rhapsody was No. 1 on the charts in 1975 and kept Laurel and Hardy' s 'On The Trail of The Lonesome Pine' in the No.2 spot. (Which was championed by the great John Peel.)

As if I needed another reason to hate Queen and that fucking song.

Jockice

Quote from: Nowhere Man on November 15, 2018, 05:09:22 AM
Bohenian Rhapsody was No. 1 on the charts in 1975 and kept Laurel and Hardy' s 'On The Trail of The Lonesome Pine' in the No.2 spot. (Which was championed by the great John Peel.)

As if I needed another reason to hate Queen and that fucking song.

It also kept the greatest number two single of all time, Sailor's A Glass Of Champagne, from its rightful position.

nedthemumbler

Van Morrison is a Sir!  Feels very wrong somehow.

Sebastian Cobb

Orange Juice's Rip it Up has a well dirty 303 running through it. One of the first tracks to popularise it well before acid house.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 18, 2018, 11:56:09 AM
Orange Juice's Rip it Up has a well dirty 303 running through it. One of the first tracks to popularise it well before acid house.
You can hear the isolated 303 in the first few seconds here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoqoxCr4054

(posted it as I think the version you usual hear on radio or whatever starts with the guitars and drums too)

Quote from: nedthemumbler on November 18, 2018, 05:49:12 AM
Van Morrison is a Sir!

Yeah, right and Bob Dylan is an Alexa.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 18, 2018, 12:55:28 PM
You can hear the isolated 303 in the first few seconds here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoqoxCr4054

(posted it as I think the version you usual hear on radio or whatever starts with the guitars and drums too)

I'm sure the loose guitar got sampled or replayed in a G-Funk classic (possibly on Doggystyle?). The idea of Dre listening to that amsuses me.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 18, 2018, 01:13:33 PM
I'm sure the loose guitar got sampled or replayed in a G-Funk classic (possibly on Doggystyle?). The idea of Dre listening to that amsuses me.
Stranger things have happened - Afrika Bambaataa was/is a big Gary Numan fan, George Clinton dug Kajagoogoo.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 18, 2018, 01:35:17 PM
Stranger things have happened - Afrika Bambaataa was/is a big Gary Numan fan, George Clinton dug Kajagoogoo.

Country is apparently quite popular in Jamacia; at night American medium-wave stations would be listenable.

Brundle-Fly

It's weird to think that Nick Beggs from Kajagoogoo became a highly regarded bassist in prog rock circles.