Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:31:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 18, 2018, 01:49:59 PM
Country is apparently quite popular in Jamaica

That was one of the bones of contention in that UB40 documentary I've mentioned elsewhere. They did a country-tinged album a few years after Ali Campbell left and this apparently was the final straw that led to Astro changing camps. Campbell claims that they've 'ruined reggae' by putting it out, while Brian Travers replied that they're just professional musicians who tried something different and it seems to be liked by most of their fans.

New page wherever I lay my hat you can fuck it.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Jockice on November 18, 2018, 08:38:16 PM
That was one of the bones of contention in that UB40 documentary I've mentioned elsewhere. They did a country-tinged album a few years after Ali Campbell left and this apparently was the final straw that led to Astro changing camps. Campbell claims that they've 'ruined reggae' by putting it out, while Brian Travers replied that they're just professional musicians who tried something different and it seems to be liked by most of their fans.

Have to say that while I'm far from a fan of UB40, I'm on the side of Travers on this. Makes me wonder if Ray Charles took much stick for doing country albums?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jockice on November 18, 2018, 08:38:16 PM

Ali Campbell's son turned up at my school.

One of my pals worked at the laundrette Astro used to go to, he refused to dry clean his fur coat, punched fuck out his steering wheel in a rage.

Jockice

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 18, 2018, 08:47:48 PM
Have to say that while I'm far from a fan of UB40, I'm on the side of Travers on this. Makes me wonder if Ray Charles took much stick for doing country albums?

I seem to recall that (apart from his well-known refuelling problems) that is part of the reason The Pogues fell out with Shane MacGowan. They wanted to do some more experimental stuff, he just wanted to stick to the same old same old, musically at least. I should imagine that sort of tension exists in all sort of bands playing all sorts of music.

By the way if you haven't seen it, I'd thoroughly recommend the Promises And Lies documentary. Like you I'm not a UB40 fan but it's one of the best (and also the saddest) things of that type I've seen. Millions of pounds going missing, bankruptcies, families and friendships since childhood being ripped apart. I've watched it three or four times and I just sit there going: "Fucking hell..."

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Jockice on November 18, 2018, 09:45:36 PMI should imagine that sort of tension exists in all sort of bands playing all sorts of music.
Yes, of course. Even in bands at the lowest level - happened to me once! I was the one pushing to go more weird/experimental while others wanted to push on with the (incredibly minimal, we flogged about 800/1000 albums in Germany) success we'd had by trying a more commercial sound. It all fell apart and then people you've spent almost all you free time with for five years are those you never see again.

Twed

The woman who powerfully sang* the Life of Brian theme tune was only 16 years old at the time.'

* (sang powerfully?)

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Twed on November 19, 2018, 09:12:30 PM
The woman who powerfully sang* the Life of Brian theme tune was only 16 years old at the time.'

Gregory Torso

Thanks to the magic of discogs and my own Hetty Wainthrop-like hat detective prowess, I have just realised that Todd Morey, the singer for 90s Jesus Lizard-esque sewage karate experts Atomic 61, is the brother of... that's right: Darren Morey, better known as Darren Mor-X, drummer in mud pedal noise rock geniuses Steel Pole Bath Tub - which explains why he and Dale Flattum the bassist appear on Atomic 61's second 7" as the low end section, after the original rhythm girls had buggered off for unknown American reasons. It's even produced by Mike Morasky for christs sake.

Norton Canes

Salford Lads Club is plainly visible from the A57 on the way into Manchester, and I've driven past scores of times without noticing it. I assumed it was tucked away in some back-street somewhere.

popcorn

Knockin' on Heaven's Door is only two and a half minutes long. I felt sure it was one of those Dylan songs that was about eight minutes long, with twenty-two verses, droning on and on. Seems like a wasted opportunity really.

Icehaven

Quote from: popcorn on December 04, 2018, 08:39:54 AM
Knockin' on Heaven's Door is only two and a half minutes long. I felt sure it was one of those Dylan songs that was about eight minutes long, with twenty-two verses, droning on and on. Seems like a wasted opportunity really.

Guns N Roses version is 5 and half minutes long and has an extended chorus towards the end with a weird phone call sample type bit, were you thinking of that?

a duncandisorderly

Kenny Lynch was the first person to cover a Beatles song ("Misery"). He was travelling on the tour bus with them when they played it to him. Not a hit, though.

In 2011, Lynch recorded a song co-written with BNP supporter Buster Mottram:

https://www.discogs.com/Kenny-Lynch-Half-The-Days-Gone-And-We-Havent-Earned-A-Penny/release/1016406

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 04, 2018, 09:27:08 PM
Kenny Lynch was the first person to cover a Beatles song ("Misery"). He was travelling on the tour bus with them when they played it to him. Not a hit, though.

And the person to cover the Beatles soonest after the song was released was probably Jimi Hendrix, playing a live a cover of Sgt Peppers 9 days after the album was released, with the added bonus that Harrison and Macca were in the audience.

nedthemumbler

In my head it is the same thing as Helpless by Neil Young.

mrpupkin

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 05, 2018, 02:20:07 AM
And the person to cover the Beatles soonest after the song was released was probably Jimi Hendrix, playing a live a cover of Sgt Peppers 9 days after the album was released, with the added bonus that Harrison and Macca were in the audience.

Unverifiable surely, tons of people could have been doing live covers by then, in pubs and whathaveyou. First famous person you mean.

SteveDave

Quote from: icehaven on December 04, 2018, 12:27:49 PM
Guns N Roses version is 5 and half minutes long and has an extended chorus towards the end with a weird phone call sample type bit, were you thinking of that?

And there's this hour long version too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT-Gi0wAusQ

One of the backing vocalists on 'Good Night' by The Beatles is Ken Barrie, who later did the Postman Pat theme.

George White

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 08, 2018, 02:00:16 PM
One of the backing vocalists on 'Good Night' by The Beatles is Ken Barrie, who later did the Postman Pat theme.
And sung the theme tune to Hi De Hi.
Paul Shane did the record version.
Barrie was a leading vocal double for actors. A sort of male Marni Nixon. Voiced for Larry Hagman,  Horst Buchholz and George C. Scott. He was also an early soundalike vocalist for Woolworths.

Sebastian Cobb

From the lads in Muscle Shoals, to Chas and Dave and the guy who done Postman Pat, the life of a decent session musician is fascinating.

gilbertharding

From the wikipedia page on Mark David Chapman:

On the day before the murder, Chapman accosted singer-songwriter James Taylor at the 72nd Street subway station. According to Taylor, "The guy had sort of pinned me to the wall and was glistening with maniacal sweat and talking some freak speak about what he was going to do and his stuff with how John was interested and he was going to get in touch with John Lennon."[26] He also reportedly offered cocaine to a taxi driver.[16] On the day of the murder, Bowie was appearing on Broadway in the play The Elephant Man. "I was second on his list," Bowie later said. "Chapman had a front-row ticket to The Elephant Man the next night. John and Yoko were supposed to sit front-row for that show too. So the night after John was killed there were three empty seats in the front row. I can't tell you how difficult that was to go on. I almost didn't make it through the performance."

Bingo Fury

The cry of "What are we gonna do now?" at the start of The Clash's "Working For The Clampdown" is a deliberate referencing of the Milligan catchphrase.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 08, 2018, 02:43:33 PM
From the lads in Muscle Shoals, to Chas and Dave and the guy who done Postman Pat, the life of a decent session musician is fascinating.

big jim plays moonbase alpha-

buzby

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on December 12, 2018, 09:00:40 PM
big jim plays moonbase alpha-

That episode  was on Delete's (spam) Halloween Special. I love the sound of the Coral Sitar

The father of Peter 'Sleazy' Christopherson of Throbbing Gristle/Coil/Psychic TV/Hipgnosis fame was Sir Derman Guy Christopherson OBE FRS FREng an Engineering Academic and according to a Genesis P Orridge interview I watched, friends with Queen Elizabeth II.

DrGreggles

Crabwalk

Found out the other day that the guy who produced Lloyd Cole and the Commotions' Rattlesnakes and The The's Soul Mining went on to produce Chris de Burgh's 'Lady In Red'. Doesnt seem to have done much since.

That's two beloved cult classics and the most hated song of the 80s. Interesting CV.