Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:37:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pseudopath on March 13, 2019, 08:39:50 PM
Billy Idol is English? When the fuck did that happen?

I learned this from the Wedding Singer.

I only found out the other day that Kelsey Grammer sang the theme song to Frasier, I have no idea who else I thought it might be for all these years.

SteveDave

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on March 14, 2019, 12:01:29 PM
I only found out the other day that Kelsey Grammer sang the theme song to Frasier, I have no idea who else I thought it might be for all these years.

George Ezra

That isn't Ayers Rock on the front of that Led Zeppelin DVD from 2003.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 13, 2019, 09:13:04 AM
Christ, I'm currently reading Stuart Cosgrove's Detroit '67 and have just learned something about James Brown that will prevent me from ever getting the same joy from his music again. I mean, I knew he was a bastard but... I'll put it in spoilers as it's just so horrible.

While on tour in '64 he had an abusive sexual relationship with 17-year-old Tammi Terrell,  once 'rupturing her vagina' with an umbrella. Her family only found out when they called her back from the tour and found a blood-soaked kimono in her luggage.

I've not yet looked into whether her brain haemorrhage and death a few years later were ever linked to Brown's abuse but...fucking hell.

Edit: it was a brain tumour, so nothing to link Brown's beatings (or those by her subsequent boyfriend David Ruffin) to her premature death.

That's horrific.

poodlefaker

Never liked The Beautiful South for the same reason I never liked The Housemartins: can't abide Paul Heaton's singing voice. I learned at the weekend that a lot of the time  the lead vocals on BS songs aren't Heaton at all, but some other bloke, Dave something. Never listened closely enough to hear the difference.

buzby

Quote from: poodlefaker on March 19, 2019, 09:31:05 AM
Never liked The Beautiful South for the same reason I never liked The Housemartins: can't abide Paul Heaton's singing voice. I learned at the weekend that a lot of the time  the lead vocals on BS songs aren't Heaton at all, but some other bloke, Dave something. Never listened closely enough to hear the difference.
Dave Hemingway, who was also in The Housemartins with Heaton. Heaton and gutarist Dave Rotheray were the main songwriters and Heaton and Hemingway shared lead vocal duties with Brianna Corrigan and later Jacqui Abbott and Alison Wheeler. Heaton and Abbott sing on more of their singles than Hemingway though - for instance, Heaton sings lead on You Keep It All In, I'll Sail This Ship Alone, Old Red Eyes Is Back and Perfect 10, Hemingway sang lead on A Little TIme and 36D, and Abbott sang lead on Everybody's Talkin', Don't Marry Her and Rotterdam.

They split in 2007, due to what Heaton called 'musical similarities'. Hemingway formed The New Beautiful South with former members Wheeler and drummer Dave Stead in 2008 (though they later changed their name to The South, presumably because Heaton got the lawyers in). Heaton went solo and started working with Jacqui Abbott again in 2011.

DrGreggles

Quote from: poodlefaker on March 19, 2019, 09:31:05 AM
can't abide Paul Heaton's singing voice

I can see why some people wouldn't like it. Distinctive vocals are like that, I suppose.
I think he's fucking ace though.

phantom_power

Hemingway took over as drummer from the original Housemartins drummer, as parodied in one of their videos.  He also sang on some of their songs, such as Build ("a house where we can stay")

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on March 19, 2019, 11:37:07 AM
Hemingway took over as drummer from the original Housemartins drummer, as parodied in one of their videos.  He also sang on some of their songs, such as Build ("a house where we can stay")

Five Get Over Excited: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGYofWnTueQ

the ouch cube

Dave Fridmann, producer of various swirly psychedelic and/or alt-country sounding indie groups, also produced 'Chaos For The Converted', the 1994 album by squat dwelling cyber-crusties Creaming Jesus.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: daf on March 13, 2019, 08:50:32 PM
One of the Siouxsie Punk set wasn't he? 'Suburban Cockney' Geezer.

~ (reaches for box-file of voluminous NME clippings from top shelf, dislodging a sparkling skein of dust in the process) ~

. . . ah yes, here we go - part of the "Bromley Contingent" :

Singer of Generation X too, had a few top of the pops appearances. He must have gone 'Stateside' early 80s

buzby

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 19, 2019, 09:39:29 PM
Singer of Generation X too, had a few top of the pops appearances. He must have gone 'Stateside' early 80s
Moved to New York in 1981, after Generation X split in 1980 (his family had previously lived in NY when he was between 2 and 6 years old). He only became a naturalised US citizen last year.

DrGreggles

First time I was in Florida as a nipper (1987-ish) there was a sold out Billy Idol gig happening nearby.
At the Florida Bowl.
To 80000+ punters.

Fair to say that he's done pretty well Stateside!

Bobby Treetops

The Grateful Dead did the theme for the 80's reboot of the Twilight Zone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF-yh4mU6ps

Jockice

Quote from: buzby on March 19, 2019, 10:43:07 AM
Dave Hemingway, who was also in The Housemartins with Heaton. Heaton and gutarist Dave Rotheray were the main songwriters and Heaton and Hemingway shared lead vocal duties with Brianna Corrigan and later Jacqui Abbott and Alison Wheeler. Heaton and Abbott sing on more of their singles than Hemingway though - for instance, Heaton sings lead on You Keep It All In, I'll Sail This Ship Alone, Old Red Eyes Is Back and Perfect 10, Hemingway sang lead on A Little TIme and 36D, and Abbott sang lead on Everybody's Talkin', Don't Marry Her and Rotterdam.

They split in 2007, due to what Heaton called 'musical similarities'. Hemingway formed The New Beautiful South with former members Wheeler and drummer Dave Stead in 2008 (though they later changed their name to The South, presumably because Heaton got the lawyers in). Heaton went solo and started working with Jacqui Abbott again in 2011.

I think that Heaton had a problem with Hemingway's lack of onstage confidence (after all, he'd started off at the back) so although he wrote songs with his voice in mind, he often ended up taking them on himself.

As for the South, Heaton has described them as a 'scab band' and I believe Hemingway himself left not that long ago. I think Wheeler's the only original band member left, although she's undoubtedly the least-remembered of the BS's three female singers.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 20, 2019, 08:31:19 AM
First time I was in Florida as a nipper (1987-ish) there was a sold out Billy Idol gig happening nearby.
At the Florida Bowl.
To 80000+ punters.

Fair to say that he's done pretty well Stateside!
Around that time he topped the US Hot 100 with a live version of 'Mony Mony' (which he'd previously recorded before he made the big time  - on what sounds a budget of 50p), though the really big hits ended not long after, probably not helped by him being out of action for a time after a rather nasty motorbike accident.

Which also, apparently, prevented him from taking the role of the T-1000 in Terminator 2!

gilbertharding

Quote from: phantom_power on March 19, 2019, 11:37:07 AM

QuoteHugh Whitaker (born 18 May 1961) is an English musician and the former drummer for the British indie rock band The Housemartins. He replaced original drummer Chris Lang and drummed for the band's first album, London 0 Hull 4, and its attendant single releases. He left the band before the recording of their second album, The People Who Grinned Themselves to Death. Whitaker left the band on amicable terms and even participated in the promotional video for the band's first single without him, "Five Get Over Excited", wherein he was kidnapped by his replacement, Dave Hemingway, and locked in a hessian sack.

Whitaker went on to play drums in London-based indie band The Servants, and then in several Hull rock bands, including The Penny Candles, The Juniper Chute, The Fabulous Ducks, and The Gargoyles.

In 1993, Whitaker was sent to prison for six years for assaulting former business associate James Hewitt with an axe and setting fire to his house on three occasions.[1]

In 1997 Hugh moved to Leeds. After a short stint as drummer with Freddie and the Dreamers he joined a local band, Percy. In 2012, back in Hull, and having played a range of musical styles in many bands, he joined eclectic rock outfit Pocketful O'Nowt.[2]

Housemartins drummers: 3.

phantom_power

Hugh is the star of the "Think For a Minute" video as well. According to that Paul Heaton documentary a few months ago he was unhappy with the level of fame the band had.

Weren't The Servants the band Luke Haines was in before The Auteurs?

Jockice

Quote from: phantom_power on March 20, 2019, 06:01:47 PM
Hugh is the star of the "Think For a Minute" video as well. According to that Paul Heaton documentary a few months ago he was unhappy with the level of fame the band had.

Hugh did the odd bit of lead vocals himself. I remember seeing The Housemartins once and he stepped forward to do Drop Down Dead. I think Hugh was a bit more hardline left-wing than even Heaton in those days and objected to some of the commercial aspects of their success as well as being so recognisable. I don't know him but do know someone who is quite friendly with him and says he just prefers playing in front of smaller audiences. I saw him live with The Gargoyles once. They were an absolutely brilliant live band who could just never reproduce it on record.

But when the Housemartins split up with Hemingway on drums, Heaton took him on as a vocalist for the Beautiful South (whose co-songwriter Dave Rotheray had previously been in the Workers' Revolutionary Party but didn't seem to have that many qualms about selling out) but sensed that Hemingway didn't particularly like being at the front of the stage so ended up taking on most of the songs himself. I'm surprised that Hemingway carried on singing with The South for so long. But I suppose you have to pay the mortgage somehow.

Incidentally, I was at a Beautiful South gig in Doncaster once and ended up in the balcony sitting next to Dave Hemingway's mum. She was ever so proud.

Jockice

Quote from: phantom_power on March 20, 2019, 06:01:47 PM

And yes. It was.

Jockice

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 19, 2019, 11:50:25 AM
Five Get Over Excited: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGYofWnTueQ

They continued the 'Hugh in a sack' theme up until their final single. Incidentally, the school Heaton went to and wrote this song about is a few hundred metres from my flat. And was also attended by Graham Fellows and various members of the Human League, ABC and Def Leppard. But not me. Although Hemingway does look a bit like my old games teacher in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvyhL3eV1vU

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Jockice on March 20, 2019, 09:47:29 PM
They continued the 'Hugh in a sack' theme up until their final single. Incidentally, the school Heaton went to and wrote this song about is a few hundred metres from my flat. And was also attended by Graham Fellows and various members of the Human League, ABC and Def Leppard. But not me.

is Graham Fellows any relation to Steve Fellows (comsats)?

Jockice

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 23, 2019, 09:36:46 AM
is Graham Fellows any relation to Steve Fellows (comsats)?

I don't think so. I've interviewed both of them in the past but never asked. And Steve absolutely hates my guts nowadays.

But here's one for you. Graham Fellows' sister used to be married to Ainsley Harriott.  She had something to do with a local chip shop and he'd apparently sometimes pop in and do a shift. Although I never saw him in there.

George Harrison's second wife, Olivia, went to the same high school as The Beach Boys and Chris Montez (Hawthorne, CA).

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Jockice on March 20, 2019, 09:47:29 PM
They continued the 'Hugh in a sack' theme up until their final single. Incidentally, the school Heaton went to and wrote this song about is a few hundred metres from my flat. And was also attended by Graham Fellows and various members of the Human League, ABC and Def Leppard. But not me. Although Hemingway does look a bit like my old games teacher in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvyhL3eV1vU

Hugh in a sack, that he made in prison.

Jockice

David Bowie's favourite band name ever was The Slits.

daf

Chaka Khan has a sister called Taka Boom

(actually . . . she's really called Yvonne, and Chaka's real name is Yvette Marie Stevens - the big frauds!)

Quote from: daf on March 23, 2019, 03:51:01 PM
Chaka Khan has a sister called Taka Boom

(actually . . . she's really called Yvonne, and Chaka's real name is Yvette Marie Stevens - the big frauds!)

She had a UK top 10 hit in 2000 with Joey Negro

https://youtu.be/rIhjd9bxSUw

kalowski

Quote from: Jockice on March 23, 2019, 03:46:37 PM
David Bowie's favourite band name ever was The Slits.
And his favourite musician was Scott Walker (even if Bowie denied it)